Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star: the deadline is 45 days

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ght_kelly.html

According to someone involved in the process, the current group has 45 days from the start of tomorrow’s NBA season to prove that they are not only a playoff team, but a sustainable one.

Even this season’s most optimistic performance target — squeaking into the top eight in the Eastern Conference — may not be enough.
    Discuss.

That is exactly the 22 games I spoke of recently in another thread. Plus it ties in with when free agents can be traded .

Comment

That is quite a specific claim, which fits what many around here have been hoping for and/or expecting. The roster gets "wait and see" time and the franchise legitimizes their claim of being opposed to tanking. However, if things don't go well from the start, it could become "riggin' for Wiggins" very quickly. The pro-tankers and pro-retoolers could be rejoicing by mid-December!

Comment

45 days would also take the Raptors to December 13 if you could today as the official start. The raptors have a game on Dec 13 (Philadelphia) and Dec. 14 (Chicago) before a three day break. This break also coincides with the day in which summer signings are trade eligible (Dec. 15).

Seems like a very logical place to push the self-destruct button.

I would also anticipate that if something serious were to happen to Lowry before the 45 day window is closed, that they would jump forward quicker then normal. Without a PG, a "sustained" playoff team is not something you can see.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

i have a sick feeling the team's going to overachieve now
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            i have a sick feeling the team's going to overachieve now
            I don't think MU and TL are buyers of fools gold

Comment

Sounds like you expect it to be blown up no matter what.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I don't think MU and TL are buyers of fools gold
                It could be a much harder sell to fans - especially casual / fair-weather fans - if the team is performing better than expected and staying competitive. It's likely going to be a tricky situation regardless, since everyone will have their own idea of what 'success' looks like over those first 45 days of the season. I don't envy the spot MU is in, with fans so adamant on both sides of the tank debate, since one group of fans will be all over him no matter what he winds up doing. Unless the team is a powerhouse near the top of the standings or gets off to a start as abysmal as last season, sharks will be circling.

Comment

“They better be 2-1 or 3-0 when Miami gets here (on Tuesday),” one veteran observer warned. That’s how micro it’s getting.
                  Tense!

Comment

Aren't he casual fair weather fans the ones on tsn.ca saying who cares send them to Seattle????

Comment

Gotta say this makes me ready for season. Such a tight front office now you have to think this is strategically placed released information

Comment

Pretty much. It's not like Gay and Derozan are turning into Lebron and Kobe overnight. Seems odd that the claim is so specific, too. Why not 21 games? 23 games? 19? Sounds like the die has been cast....

EDIT: Sorry, this was in response to Mess above.

Comment

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Pretty much. It's not like Gay and Derozan are turning into Lebron and Kobe overnight. Seems odd that the claim is so specific, too. Why not 21 games? 23 games? 19? Sounds like the die has been cast....

EDIT: Sorry, this was in response to Mess above.
                            Yeah. I mean, the one thing MU was clear about is that he can control his preparation. I can see that as meaning he has very specific deadlines and benchmarks he wants met, and that this could be a leak to provide some extra incentive to the players.

And I'm also pretty sure that he won't be setting any low standards.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

According to someone involved in the process, the current group has 45 days from the start of tomorrow’s NBA season to prove that they are not only a playoff team, but a sustainable one.

Even this season’s most optimistic performance target — squeaking into the top eight in the Eastern Conference — may not be enough.
                              Proving themselves a "sustainable" playoff team? What does that even mean? Can you even prove that in 45 days?
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                              X