Star: the deadline is 45 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JimiCliff wrote: View Post

Proving themselves a "sustainable" playoff team? What does that even mean? Can you even prove that in 45 days?
    nope, and he doesnt need to. They have guys that say this, and say that about how the are team players, wanna improve, do what it takes to win, etc. MU has them on watch, if they do not fulfill what they have been asked to. ADIOS.

Comment

Proving themselves a "sustainable" playoff team? What does that even mean?
      I suspect it means that the Raps squad has to show that they can get a reasonable number of wins against proper playoff contenders. To wit, in that first 45 days, the Raps play 22 games:

SHOULD BE RELATIVELY EASY WINS: Philly twice, Boston, Charlotte, Utah, Phoenix, the Lakers
      SHOULD BE EVEN MATCHUPS: Atlanta, Milwaukee, Portland, Washington, Denver
      SHOULD BE HARD: Miami twice, Chicago twice, Indiana, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn, San Antonio, Golden State.

Now, after 45 days, the Raps could be 12 and 10 team by winning all of the "easy" and "even" games and losing all of the "hard" games, but who gives a shit about beating Milwaukee and Portland, really? I think a "sustainable" playoff team is one that can compete with teams who are actually contending for the title this year - pull a win or two out of the likes of Chicago, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn and Golden State and you've got something worth keeping together.

It's the difference between an 11-11 team after 45 days with no wins against contenders and an 11-11 team after 45 days with 2-3 wins against contenders (and maybe 1-2 more squeaker losses against contenders). That second team is inconsistent but maybe has the talent to progress to the next level. That first team doesn't and is telling you what its ceiling is.

Comment

Its about the same amount of time that raptors have gone through their first-half season-skid in past seasons. If the raptors can turn it around and finish at or near .500 for that time period, it would definitely be a record performance in recent history.

Comment

“7-Eleven,” one source said. “That’s where you get diabetes.”
          Bahahahaha!

Comment

This will put enormous pressure on Casey to shorten his bench from the get-go
            Thanks god!

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
              I suspect it means that the Raps squad has to show that they can get a reasonable number of wins against proper playoff contenders. To wit, in that first 45 days, the Raps play 22 games:

SHOULD BE RELATIVELY EASY WINS: Philly twice, Boston, Charlotte, Utah, Phoenix, the Lakers
              SHOULD BE EVEN MATCHUPS: Atlanta, Milwaukee, Portland, Washington, Denver
              SHOULD BE HARD: Miami twice, Chicago twice, Indiana, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn, San Antonio, Golden State.

Now, after 45 days, the Raps could be 12 and 10 team by winning all of the "easy" and "even" games and losing all of the "hard" games, but who gives a shit about beating Milwaukee and Portland, really? I think a "sustainable" playoff team is one that can compete with teams who are actually contending for the title this year - pull a win or two out of the likes of Chicago, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn and Golden State and you've got something worth keeping together.

It's the difference between an 11-11 team after 45 days with no wins against contenders and an 11-11 team after 45 days with 2-3 wins against contenders (and maybe 1-2 more squeaker losses against contenders). That second team is inconsistent but maybe has the talent to progress to the next level. That first team doesn't and is telling you what its ceiling is.
              Good points. Raptors have a penchant for winning some 'hard games' and losing too many 'easy' or 'even games'. In my view winning the games you should win is more important than winning the 'hard' games. If you can do the former consistently the latter will eventually come.

Comment

Wow do you need anymore motivation if your a player?
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  I think a "sustainable" playoff team is one that can compete with teams who are actually contending for the title this year - pull a win or two out of the likes of Chicago, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn and Golden State...
                  Well, if this is the case...

FIRE UP THE TANKS!

(Although, I should add: I still don't think 45 days will tell you much more than you already know. I think Masai's already made up his mind.)
                  Last edited by JimiCliff; Wed Oct 30, 2013, 04:46 PM.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Proving themselves a "sustainable" playoff team? What does that even mean? Can you even prove that in 45 days?
                    This reminds me of my old job when we'd tell associates that to make partner they needed a "sustainable practice". When asked for specifics, people would ramble on for a few minutes and say nothing much at all. In truth, there really was no standard at all. It was our get out of jail free card. If we didn't want someone in we just told them they didn't have a sustainable practice. It's the "I will buy this car once I am satisfied there are no problems". It's the ultimate out.

That's why I am somewhat inclined to go with Mess' comment. If this is true, it sounds like the direction has already been decided.

Comment

Well, if this the case...

FIRE UP THE TANKS!

(Although, I should add: I still don't think 45 days will tell you much more than you already know. I think Masai's already made up his mind.)
                      Here's the thing: the "contender" teams are all potentially beatable with smart play. Golden State relies on one guy (Bogut) for its defense and can be out-sized. Houston is going to spend this season figuring out how Dwight and Harden work together best and especially in the first half they won't quite know yet. Chicago relies on Derrick Rose and Carlos f'n Boozer to create shots. Memphis has so little perimeter shooting that they signed Mike Miller, who is 36 and spends half the season in a hospital bed, to be their top gunner. Indiana does not score a lot of points and is vulnerable to the three. Brooklyn is old as fuck and can potentially simply be outhustled by a younger, more vigorous team, and they're also relying on one guy (KG) to run their defensive line because their coach doesn't know how yet.

The Raps are a relatively young and athletic team and their starting lineup is a pretty solid unit - below-average on perimeter shooting, but reasonably good at everything else. If they can put the tools together properly and upgrade the bench, they're potentially a 5-6 seed. But those are two things that are very, very difficult.

Comment

I think that is partly what he means by a "sustainable" playoff team. If one or more of John Wall, Lebron/Wade, KG/Pierce, Melo get injured and miss time, the (injury-free) Raptors will have a greater shot at a higher playoff ranking. So should MU stand pat because the injury gods were in Toronto's favour for one year? I can see if you're a contendor or even a semi-contender. You have a shot, go for it. But if as a team your ceiling as an overachiever is 5th or 6th, is it worth keeping together?

Jesus, I don't want them to tank but I must admit it's starting to make a little more sense. But I'm greedy as a fan and consumer. If can get some exciting playoff basketball (read: any) in Toronto I want them now. I don't look forward to re-tooling and watching another 2-3 years of losing basketball just so the Raptors can (intially) get back to being a 6th-8th seed (even if the ceiling is higher the subsequent years). Call me selfish, but choosing to wait 4-5 years to hypothetically have a better chance at a top 4 seed isn't something I want to do.

But I'm also starting to suspect that all of the statements MU has made since he's been here have been laying the groundwork for trading away most of the assets we have. I guess you can argue it's the logical thing to do and that for a sustainable top 4 seed it's the only way, but I don't have to like it.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I'm guessing this why all the players are putting "#ProveEm" in their Instagram picks
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I hate such articles/quotes....wtf does it really mean and who tf said it. Is Kelly pretending to be in the know here....or just putting out shit like this on opening day? I think it's bad form (the timing) for the team because they want to come out swinging. I mean we have been debating this ad nauseum in the forum for the summer and if the quote is legit what purpose does it serve to put it out today?
                            Disclosure: I am for a team overhaul. But this smells.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              I'm guessing this why all the players are putting "#ProveEm" in their Instagram picks
                              http://instagram.com/p/gCRTicqhpU/
                              http://instagram.com/p/e6QA26KhgD/
                              http://instagram.com/p/gGr7gZI463/
                              http://instagram.com/p/gE7AUDJ3d_/

and these i just wanted to throw in cuz ithere fuckin hilarious
                              http://instagram.com/p/gGKwrGp3eT/
                              http://instagram.com/p/f6pukoOoMM/
                              http://instagram.com/p/f3B8gMOoER/
                              Last edited by lilmamba_; Wed Oct 30, 2013, 05:03 PM.
                              What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                              The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                              No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                                I hate such articles/quotes....wtf does it really mean and who tf said it. Is Kelly pretending to be in the know here....or just putting out shit like this on opening day? I think it's bad form (the timing) for the team because they want to come out swinging. I mean we have been debating this ad nauseum in the forum for the summer and if the quote is legit what purpose does it serve to put it out today?
                                Disclosure: I am for a team overhaul. But this smells.
                                Right! This seems so fishy. Like who the hell is this Kelly person? I've never heard about him or her before. Why would you just decide to put out info like this now. Such bad timing. Also none of the other writers have seemed to have heard about this because if they did I believe they would have put out this information as well. Something doesn't seem right but maybe it's just me. Not that I'm against this notion but it just seems weird.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X