Star: the deadline is 45 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I'm guessing this why all the players are putting "#ProveEm" in their Instagram picks
    No doubt the coaching staff is using the idea of tanking as motivation for the players. It's one thing for American sports analysts to disrespect the Raptors, but when their own fans and local media start blatantly asking about and/or requesting the team tanking this season, proving them wrong is definitely a good source of motivation. We either get a good team that beats even the most enthusiastic prediction, or we get a rebuild... win-win in my book.

Comment

That article, if it is accurate, makes me absolutely sick. Why bother playing the season if you are going to cut the player's fingers off by Christmas? Why bother watching? It shows a complete lack of respect for the players and the fans.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
        Here's the thing: the "contender" teams are all potentially beatable with smart play. Golden State relies on one guy (Bogut) for its defense and can be out-sized. Houston is going to spend this season figuring out how Dwight and Harden work together best and especially in the first half they won't quite know yet. Chicago relies on Derrick Rose and Carlos f'n Boozer to create shots. Memphis has so little perimeter shooting that they signed Mike Miller, who is 36 and spends half the season in a hospital bed, to be their top gunner. Indiana does not score a lot of points and is vulnerable to the three. Brooklyn is old as fuck and can potentially simply be outhustled by a younger, more vigorous team, and they're also relying on one guy (KG) to run their defensive line because their coach doesn't know how yet.

The Raps are a relatively young and athletic team and their starting lineup is a pretty solid unit - below-average on perimeter shooting, but reasonably good at everything else. If they can put the tools together properly and upgrade the bench, they're potentially a 5-6 seed. But those are two things that are very, very difficult.
        Of course, this is all true. Every team has its weaknesses. (Well, almost every team. Jordan's Bulls and the Shaq/Kobe Lakers were, IMO, weakness-less). But the Raptors have their weaknesses as well, and they're much worse than those mentioned above, and their strengths are nowhere near the strengths of those above...of course, we all know this...

My point is, I'm not expecting much competition from us against the top teams. More to the point though: what is Masai expecting? And: what does he need to see to keep from dismantling this team?

magoon wrote: View Post
        I think a "sustainable" playoff team is one that can compete with teams who are actually contending for the title this year - pull a win or two out of the likes of Chicago, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn and Golden State and you've got something worth keeping together.
        I'd go further. I think that anything less than a plus .500 record against the surefire playoff teams means he starts taking the team apart. But if they play plus .500 against them, then he really can't justify a tear down. If they're playing plus .500 against the contenders, I don't think even the most fanatical tankers would want to see this team broken up.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
          That article, if it is accurate, makes me absolutely sick. Why bother playing the season if you are going to cut the player's fingers off by Christmas? Why bother watching? It shows a complete lack of respect for the players and the fans.
          I don't get this sentiment. Tearing down a roster doesn't bother me at all.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
            That is one perspective.

An equal perspective from my chair is why bother playing the season if you are going to likely miss out on the playoffs or get slaughtered in the first round, have a small chance at getting an allstar talent in the 10-16 range of the draft, and have no cap space to hit free agency or trade market. Why bother watching? It shows a complete lack of respect for the future of the franchise.

Comment

Why wait?

MU strikes me as a keen evaluator of talent, and I'm sure he knows that the team could conceivably play above their head for half a season. If he doesn't think this is the team or it has to be proven to him first, I think that is already an indictment on the state of current affairs.

Break it up whenever you get the best deals for Gay, Derozan or Lowry and lets prepare for the draft. I was watching two teams Phily, Phx) last night and both teams are horrible as they are supposed to be this year were much more entertaining than watching the Raps plod to a win against a Celtics team that should have been blown out.

Comment

So who is this "someone?" Doug Smith? Michael Grange? LOL.

I guarantee nothing happens in 2 months. This is just all media generated BS.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

I wonder if the warlord MU scratched a month or two off after seeing them play last night
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    I wonder if the warlord MU scratched a month or two off after seeing them play last night
                    Nah. But I'm sure he'll expect the team to be better...or rather, expect them to be better if they want to stay together and make some kind of playoff run.

Comment

45 days.... sounds like just long enough to show that any summer improvements by our players are legitimate. How much more value do you get back in trade when you have 20+ games worth of proof that Demar can consistently hit a 3? Or that Lowry is a legit PG when in shape? MU is crafty. The 45 days is all about maximizing the value of our assets.

Comment

Admir My Johnson wrote: View Post
                        45 days.... sounds like just long enough to show that any summer improvements by our players are legitimate. How much more value do you get back in trade when you have 20+ games worth of proof that Demar can consistently hit a 3? Or that Lowry is a legit PG when in shape? MU is crafty. The 45 days is all about maximizing the value of our assets.
                        Welcome to forum.

Cute handle.

lol

Comment

Admir My Johnson wrote: View Post
                          That's assuming everything goes well. The risk is that Lowry gets injured and lowers his value in a contract year (for example).

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                            Sounds like you expect it to be blown up no matter what.
                            for wiggins? wiggins is already a bobcat my friend lol
                            "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

Working...
                            X