The Rudy & DeMar mid-range jumper watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    At some point both DeMar as well as Gay's shot will be falling at the same time. Let's see how effective they can be together.
    well that could also apply to any combination of 2 players in the league - at which point they'd look good together.

What would be more important is how often or consistently are their shots falling at the same time.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
      Today's mid-range jumper watch: Rudy 1 for 7, DeMar was on fire, and made 8 of 12. I'm not gonna complain about Rudy's shot selection too much even though he shot 6-23 overall; he got into the paint a lot and just couldn't convert. DeRozan got into the paint too, and his outside shot was falling. At least 7 of his 12 mid-range attempts were excusable (either open or near the end of the shot clock). He also made some bad shots.

So, despite the loss, I'm not gonna gripe about the shot selection. There were just some bounces that didn't go our way.
      I'd flip it and say that Demar's shot selection was horrible, but last night, they happened to go in. He can get away with that shit against Korver and whoever else was guarding him, but put even an average defender on him on him and that 8 for 12 drops.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
        well that could also apply to any combination of 2 players in the league - at which point they'd look good together.

What would be more important is how often or consistently are their shots falling at the same time.
        I'm just referencing DeMar and Gay specifically because essentially all they do is score and all the talk has been about how effective two players that are as similar as they are can be. Also your point which is bolded is very true. It's basically the question everyone is waiting to see answered, and the key to keeping MU's finger off the self distruct button.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
          Nah, man. That's way overblown. Durant earns most of the calls he gets, and NBA refs are generally pretty fair. Fans of every team in the league think the refs are biased against them--that tells you it's about the fans, not the refs.
          While I believe Toronto is crappy, I disagree with you wholeheartedly. It isn't a new idea, nor is it even an argument that favourable cities and players in the US get preferential treatment. It is completely profitable for the NBA to make sure there is either a strong team, or a superstar in all their key markets. Saying the "star call' doesn't exist is ridiculous.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            At some point both DeMar as well as Gay's shot will be falling at the same time. Let's see how effective they can be together.
            Ask a Bucks fan how their last season went, waiting for two very similar, inefficient, jump-shooting players to get on the same page at the same time.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
              While I believe Toronto is crappy, I disagree with you wholeheartedly. It isn't a new idea, nor is it even an argument that favourable cities and players in the US get preferential treatment. It is completely profitable for the NBA to make sure there is either a strong team, or a superstar in all their key markets. Saying the "star call' doesn't exist is ridiculous.
              "Star calls don't exist" isn't a well-enough defined statement to agree with or argue against. Here's what I will say, though: NBA referees do not have a systematic bias in favour of (or against) particular players or particular teams, to any statistically significant degree.

"Star calls" certainly do exist; that's how we describe iffy calls that stars get. But when a role player gets an iffy call in their favour, it's just an iffy call. They both happen at about the same rate (adjusted for the fact that some players have the ball in their hands a lot), but we only notice it and call it a "star call" when it happens to a star. There's confirmation bias out the wazoo when it comes to evaluating NBA refs. The only systematic bias that has ever been observed is a slight bias in favour of the home team, but that applies equally to all teams.

Comment

Pretty good night for both our guys against the Bucks. Rudy was 0-4 from mid-range, and three of them were highly questionable, but he also managed 10 shots in the paint and 10 free throw attempts. DeMar went 3-7, and I only recall 2 of those 7 being particularly bad shots. He also managed 8 free throw attempts.

Comment

At least Gay didn't continue to chuck bricks and changed his shooting. AT LEAST. sigh...

Comment

Overall, I found both their performances encouraging. Gay's shooting a low percentage right now, but if he keeps up this shot selection--where the majority of his shots are around the rim or from deep--he'll be plus for us over the course of the year. We just need a little regression to the mean for his close-in shooting numbers. Really looking forward to the Miami game--you know he'll be up for that.

Comment

Gay has to find his open teammates guy draws a lot A LOT of attention driving in but continues, thats the difference between him and Lebron and hell even DeRozan now whos handles are looking really good going into traffic now, head up with hesitation moves and crossovers.

Gay has to take the blinders off but at least his bad attempts are in the paint... Despite seemingly playing bad he had a 18 and 15 night against the Bucks. No Bargnani means like 20 more boards Raps have been for once in the longest time out rebounding teams but 70% of that has to do with Hansborough and Gay.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        Gay has to find his open teammates guy draws a lot A LOT of attention driving in but continues, thats the difference between him and Lebron and hell even DeRozan now whos handles are looking really good going into traffic now, head up with hesitation moves and crossovers.

Gay has to take the blinders off but at least his bad attempts are in the paint... Despite seemingly playing bad he had a 18 and 15 night against the Bucks. No Bargnani means like 20 more boards Raps have been for once in the longest time out rebounding teams but 70% of that has to do with Hansborough and Gay.
                        100% agree. I was trying to focus on him and DeMar's offense, so I didn't mention the rebounding, but it absolutely has made a big difference. (Although for my fantasy team's sake I'd like him to leave a few more of those for Amir.) 5 dimes and 6 boards for DeMar is excellent as well.

Comment

I know this is a mid range watch thread but I've been quite surprised with demars 3 point % which is at 37.5 and amir's 3 point % too which is also at 37.5%

Comment

pauljondy wrote: View Post
                            I know this is a mid range watch thread but I've been quite surprised with demars 3 point % which is at 37.5 and amir's 3 point % too which is also at 37.5%
                            Amir is 3-8: .375
                            DeMar is actually 4-11: .364

Keep in mind, small sample size to begin the season.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                              Amir is 3-8: .375
                              DeMar is actually 4-11: .364

Keep in mind, small sample size to begin the season.
                              Well I'm happy with the %s, but I'm happier that DeMar's shot has aesthetically/mechanically looked better this year. His 3s used to look terrible, like he was not comfortable at all shooting from there. He's a lot smoother on his form now, and a lot more relaxed. I hope it means his % will stay half-decent. Oh, and he's mostly taking them in good situations.

Comment

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this ...but would all that xtra weight in the upper body made Gay's shooting touch erratic? 3 games and preseason and he has yet to have a decent shooting game.

Comment

Working...
                                X