The Rudy & DeMar mid-range jumper watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rudy & DeMar mid-range jumper watch

I'm gonna use this thread to keep track of Rudy and DD's shot selection. It wasn't an auspicious start to the season, with the two combining to take 22 shots from mid-range, and only making 7, including combining to go 3-9 in a very close 4th quarter.

DeMar was 2-10, Rudy was 5-12. We're not gonna win a lot of games taking that many mid-range jumpers, especially considering how many of them were contested.

Not just contested, but often times will lots of time (12+) on the shot clock.

Perfect example, very early in the game last night. Down 9-4 to Boston. Crowd is kinda out of it cause the slow start. Rudy gets the ball on the wing with about 15-16 on the shot clock. Dribbles for a couple of seconds then pulls up for a well contested (good D by Wallace) 18 footer with 13 seconds on the clock still. Very poor shot choice given the situation. You need to give a reason for the crowd to get excited again. Don't think VC era jump shots are the way.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Shot selection was poor all around last night, but Rudy and DeMar seemed to be the biggest culprits.

Comment

Rudy went "That guy Rudy" though he hit some ridiculous long range shots last night anyone see Bill Simmons shot chart for Rudy? everything was white-green.... and he shoots from anywhere.

the opening night was really a lapse in judgment. Heres hoping they tighten up against stiffer competition come Friday.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
          Rudy went "That guy Rudy" though he hit some ridiculous long range shots last night anyone see Bill Simmons shot chart for Rudy? everything was white-green.... and he shoots from anywhere.

the opening night was really a lapse in judgment. Heres hoping they tighten up against stiffer competition come Friday.
          How do you lose focus on Day 1 against a team that is openly trying to tank?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            How do you lose focus on Day 1 against a team that is openly trying to tank?
            I think it was day 1 jitters. It happens. LAC had it.

Comment

I think it was day 1 jitters. It happens. LAC had it.
              Clippers playing the Lakers in the Battle of LA with many new players and a new coach is much more acceptable than a guy who's been on this team and with this coach for years against probably the 4th worst team in the NBA.

You can't be a superstar if you don't have the mental toughness.

Comment

LAL suck no excuse they blew that game miserably. Not true Blake griffin is a superstar and he isnt mentally tough, and arguably has less game than DeRozan.

Typical Raptors fan ish to see some negatives blow up and say f it season is lost I hate pessimism.

Comment

LAL suck no excuse they blew that game miserably. Not true Blake griffin is a superstar and he isnt mentally tough, and arguably has less game than DeRozan.

Typical Raptors fan ish to see some negatives blow up and say f it season is lost I hate pessimism.
                  haha, I've been saying blow it up since the trade deadline of last season, so no, last night didn't change anything for me.

Demar was playing at home, with the same roster and coach as last season, against a terrible team. He got jitters why?

Whether you hate pessimism or realism or gummi bears is all completely irrelevant. The team is flawed.

Comment

They beat the clippers, so, meh.

Comment

The defending world champs also lost to what may reasonably be called the worst team in the league.

Demar specifically had an awful game, no doubt about that, but after 7 pre-season games of great decision making, I'll reserve further judgement about his play this season.

Comment

LOL lapse in judgement!?! He's been playing this way his entire career!
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                          I'm gonna use this thread to keep track of Rudy and DD's shot selection. It wasn't an auspicious start to the season, with the two combining to take 22 shots from mid-range, and only making 7, including combining to go 3-9 in a very close 4th quarter.

DeMar was 2-10, Rudy was 5-12. We're not gonna win a lot of games taking that many mid-range jumpers, especially considering how many of them were contested.
                          Feel like this is a bit off. I count 6 bad shots on his shot chart. To me those are shots that are deeper than 15 ft, because taking a 12-15 footer is not necessarily a bad shot. And he took a couple around the FT line area, and one on the base line, both that were closer than the "long 2" range. So I wouldn't count the 3 in closer areas, and stick with 6 bad long 2s, where he still abysmally only hit 1 shot...out of 19 total shots, 7 of which were attacking the basket. So for DeMar, he had 10 shots about 15ft and in, and 3 attempts from deep, so 6 bad shots (distance-wise) out of 19 ain't that bad.

Rudy, on the other hand, was 5/12 if you, again, count the closer midrange area (where he likes to take that baseline fade, which looks like a bad shot but he tends to hit it better than a wide open long 2), but if you take that out like with DeMar, he had 9 shots in the long 2 range, and only hit 3. He also only had 4 shots attacking the basket out of 18. So 6 out of 18 were 15 ft and in, and the rest were all long shots.

Demar: http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...layerID=201942
                          Rudy: http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...layerID=200752
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Oct 31, 2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Bad shots are also those that come early in the clock, and are heavily defended (regardless of distance from the basket).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Bad shots are also those that come early in the clock, and are heavily defended (regardless of distance from the basket).
                              Yes, but this thread seems to focus on distance. Distance-wise, I really only count the 16-23 ft range as truly bad. Those are almost never something you could call a good shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X