X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Amir is 3-8: .375
    DeMar is actually 4-11: .364

Keep in mind, small sample size to begin the season.
    never trust espn with player stats takes them for ever to update them

Comment

pauljondy wrote: View Post
      never trust espn with player stats takes them for ever to update them
      Got mine from Basketball Reference
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        Got mine from Basketball Reference
        I know I got mine from espn 3 hours after the bucks game

Comment

What is the difference between a bad shot and a good shot? Often if it goes in or not.

Demar has taken 56 shots this year. According to stats.nba.com he has taken 20 from 16-24 feet making 10 or from what they term midrange he has hit 13 of 29 for 44%. Last year 449/1231 (36%) were from 16-24ft; thus far this year 20/56 (36%) are from 16-24ft.

I'm not overly impressed thus far. Also his contribution in other areas has been inconsistent as previous years - thank goodness just 3 games. His free throw attempts are down and incredibly he is just 7/12.

Big concern is his to's are up big time, his TS% is down (likely not to remain though as his ft's are not likely to stay at 58%), his PPP is down to 1.09, his WS48 is down, and his PoP48 is down. He remains average in Rebs and assist.

On the plus side he is taking and making more 3s, he is scoring more points albeit with more opportunity, and his eFG% is up.

Whoops. Got carried away there. More than midrange.

Comment

You know what would be swell?
            EXPERIMENT TIME:

Coach Casey sits down Rudy before one game this season, and challenges him not to shoot a single mid-range shot, not one, and go for 20 points. The same could be done with DeRozan at a later date (in my mind, it's less pressing with DeMar).

THE RESULTS COULD BE ENLIGHTENING

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
              EXPERIMENT TIME:

Coach Casey sits down Rudy before one game this season, and challenges him not to shoot a single mid-range shot, not one, and go for 20 points. The same could be done with DeRozan at a later date (in my mind, it's less pressing with DeMar).

THE RESULTS COULD BE ENLIGHTENING
              +100%

There are definitely people (and probably NBA coaches/personnel) who would say that the NBA level is too professional to be using games as experiments or that it's disrespectful to players or the fan base, but I would love to see more of it. My dad coached a few seasons of high school and one of the things he would always do (that I stole when I coached) was to play at least a full half somewhere in the first couple of games in the season, where no one was allowed to dribble once the pg had got it up the court and made the first pass. Then who ever had the ball after the 5th pass was REQUIRED to shoot, wherever they were when the they caught it (they were allowed to take 2 dribbles directly at the basket). The first 5 possessions were always a disaster (3 pt air balls), but by the 10th possession or so the kids would start to do three things

1) The ball would move faster

2) The ball ended up in good scoring spots (lots of lay ups on cuts)

3) Moving without the ball with the purpose of getting someone else open,

Surprisingly, (or maybe not that surprisingly) we won a lot of those halves.

I think a lot of teams would benefit if coaches did more unorthodox things like the one you mentioned above.
              Last edited by ezz_bee; Sun Nov 3, 2013, 05:47 PM.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                There are definitely people (and probably NBA coaches/personnel) who would say that the NBA level is too professional to be using games as experiments or that it's disrespectful to players or the fan base, but I would love to see more of it. I think a lot of teams would benefit if coaches did more unorthodox things like the one you mentioned above.
                And you know what, how professional do the Raptors really look out there right now?
                How professional does Rudy Gay look?
                Does he look like a multi-million dollar franchise player?

To me, aside from the ocassional highlight, he looks nothing like a professional.

Comment

so far he's shot 20 mid range jumpers and he made 10-20 and all of the spots are hot zones for him except for the right baseline jumper. midrange = 16ft - 23.8ft

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
                    EXPERIMENT TIME:

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                    There are definitely people (and probably NBA coaches/personnel) who would say that the NBA level is too professional to be using games as experiments...
                    For some teams, this idea isn't an experiment, it's a game plan:

"Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      What is the difference between a bad shot and a good shot? Often if it goes in or not.

Demar has taken 56 shots this year. According to stats.nba.com he has taken 20 from 16-24 feet making 10 or from what they term midrange he has hit 13 of 29 for 44%. Last year 449/1231 (36%) were from 16-24ft; thus far this year 20/56 (36%) are from 16-24ft.

I'm not overly impressed thus far. Also his contribution in other areas has been inconsistent as previous years - thank goodness just 3 games. His free throw attempts are down and incredibly he is just 7/12.

Big concern is his to's are up big time, his TS% is down (likely not to remain though as his ft's are not likely to stay at 58%), his PPP is down to 1.09, his WS48 is down, and his PoP48 is down. He remains average in Rebs and assist.

On the plus side he is taking and making more 3s, he is scoring more points albeit with more opportunity, and his eFG% is up.

Whoops. Got carried away there. More than midrange.
                      I was on my phone earlier and did not do Rudy:

Rudy has taken 55 shots this year. According to stats.nba.com he has taken 18 from 16-24 feet making just 4 (22%) or from what they term midrange he has hit 6 of 22 for 27%. Last year 228/1253 (18%) were from 16-24ft; thus far this year 18/55 (32%) are from 16-24ft. Breaking down his Toronto only data, January 31st to end of season: 112/564 (19%) were from 16-24ft; thus far this year 18/55 (32%) are from 16-24ft.

I find this really interesting. It would appear there is something to the idea that a coach can influence the type of shots a player takes based upon an offensive system or play options.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post

Exactly.

Look at the Atlanta game. It was overwhelmingly shots in the paint or 3's. Very very few mid range shots.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post

Thank you. It MAY not make sense to duplicate this shot chart for a whole season, but it shows that it is definitely possible.
                          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Couple things. Sample size is too small at this point to draw any conclusions. Two, Gay has shot 33%. He is a career 45% shooter. That number will normalize affecting statements about offensive effectiveness, etc.

With Derozan in particular, he had a bad game against Boston, so that skews everything right now (SSS!!!). He had a nice game in Atlanta and played well in Milwaukee despite not being to hit the broad side of a barn. I am not a huge Derozan fan but I have no problem with how he's played so far.

Comment

Pseudo related. I missed last night's game (Dad's birthday) but looking at the shot chart, I like the areas that Terrence Ross chose to shoot from. Ross attempted 8 shots, 7 were 3 pointers and the other was right at the hoop. While the individual situations and execution are unknown to me, if he keeps it up his shot chart on the season will end up looking more like Chandler Parsons.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                                Pseudo related. I missed last night's game (Dad's birthday) but looking at the shot chart, I like the areas that Terrence Ross chose to shoot from. Ross attempted 8 shots, 7 were 3 pointers and the other was right at the hoop. While the individual situations and execution are unknown to me, if he keeps it up his shot chart on the season will end up looking more like Chandler Parsons.
                                Most of the Ross threes were catch and shoot, so I don't think anyone had any problem with it.
                                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                                X