No announcement yet.

Future Does Note Bode Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Raptors started this game slow and nervous. Gay and DeRozan missing long jumps shots and the team had a pair of turnovers while Boston started off hitting their first 3 shots before Toronto settled down."

"Raptors start to build a lead over the first 6 minutes of the second half, 63-48. DeRozan, who was 1-8 in the first half hits a jumper and a 3-bomb on his first two shots after the break. But, Raptors relax and let Boston go on a 11-2 run, taking poor shots and not making the same effort on defense. After 3 quarters, the score has closed to 71 all. Celtics run out to a 74-71 lead in the 4th quarter, but Hansbrough brings the Raptors back with 3 rebounds, a putback, 1 free throw and a block to help tie the game at 76. Momentum changer. Hansbrough comes out as the Raptors go back to their starters but the game had swung back to Toronto." Raptors vs Celtics: A New Season Begins With a Win

In many ways that was a typical early season game with a flaky start - You just can't read much into what happens in a home opener good or bad.

After the start, the game played out as a typical - albeit sloppy NBA game. Raptors go on a big run. Celtics make the big run back. Raptors go on a big run to close out and win. Nothing unusual here.

DeRozan says "We were rusty" - should have said, "I was rusty" Shot 1-8 in the 1st half, 4-8 in the second half.

Big positive - Tyler Hansbrough stopped the Celtics run in the 4th almost by himself - that kid can change the momentum of a game.

Gay says, "a win is a win" and he's right - no one asked how you played in your homer homer come April.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

JV needs to focus on D and just let the offence figure it self out

Comment

Awww, game 1, opening night jitters, blah, blah. Lakers' bench hammers Clips' starters, Sixers beat Heat (blow that team up and tank!), Cavs beat Nets, T Wolves need OT to beat Magic, Suns beat Blazers, Jazz push Thunder. None of that is indicative of how this season will play out. Calm down with the overreactions from this one game.

I know some people only see JV on this team, but as Nilanka said, He's still got a lot of work to do before making him a big feature of the offense, unless one's mind is focused on tanking. At this point at least, this team's focus is not, so get over it. There's 81 more games to go. He'll develop and he'll get his touches. He has huge potential, but throwing a 21 year old kid into a bigger fire than necessary is seldom a wise move.

Of course there are exceptions (LBJ, KD types), but bringing young stars along slowly is often a good move that coaches need to consider, and make a judgement on. The most successful coach (& later adviser/consultant) in the history of the NHL, Scotty Bowman, was notorious for bringing young players along slowly, some who became superstars. He did this in St Louis, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Detroit and was very successful at every stop.

Comment

One inefficiency affecting the bigs is that nobody can run the pick and roll properly. Remember how Jose would hit Amir rolling to the basket? Lowry can't do that at all, and Rudy usually waits for the screen to set and then completely ignores it. I'd really like to see the Raps ball handlers use screens better and start looking for the big on the roll.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            One inefficiency affecting the bigs is that nobody can run the pick and roll properly. Remember how Jose would hit Amir rolling to the basket? Lowry can't do that at all, and Rudy usually waits for the screen to set and then completely ignores it. I'd really like to see the Raps ball handlers use screens better and start looking for the big on the roll.
            You know who is good at this?

Dante Exum.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              Absolutely agree. I've been concerned about this since Jose was traded. It's a problem because p/n/r is a good way to utlize your high usage guys who need the ball in their hands (Lowry, Gay, Derozan) while keeping your bigs involved and getting them easy looks.

Again, SMALL SAMPLE SIZE. We'll see if it improves.

Comment

You're already writing this team off on that side, even after considering new faces, new emphasis, and one game? It'll take time for this team to get used to whatever lineups Coach Casey decides to run out there, as soon as the subs came in, guys were unsure of where everybody else was going to go.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  PEOPLE STOP JUMPING ON JVS DICK!

hes a great young prospect but saying things "like O he wasnt expecting the pass so he fumbled it" is just goddam crazy hes making a lot of turnovers with his butter fingers sometimes stop giving him a free pass when he does something stupid. If you are part of the starting 5 you have to expect a pass JV is just screwing up... one of the silliest excuses ever.
                  lool i got in so much shit for not duck riding jv loool
                  cant lie what your saying is true, i dont have enough guts in me to say shit like that when theres 50+ die hard raptor fans who love jv
                  What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                  The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                  No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                    lool i got in so much shit for not duck riding jv loool
                    cant lie what your saying is true, i dont have enough guts in me to say shit like that when theres 50+ die hard raptor fans who love jv
                    lol, I don't think you have any shortage of guts. You just prefer to bring a light-hearted, playful style of fandom to the place. More like you would be welcome by some.

Comment

And I like to create controversy and piss people off but honestly the JV fanfare is both warranted and grossly ridiculous. JV has a wife hop off his nuts.

Comment

I am writing this Saturday morning after the Hawks game last evening. I just got off the phone with Direct TV cancelling my NBA League Pass for the season. I followed Hansbrough to Toronto from Indiana via League Pass enjoying his game but I had no idea how dysfunctional this team is. There is no way he can succeed there with the type of game they play. Everything negative about this team I have read including the front page lead article on this site this morning is correct. It is not a team; right now it is 5 guys out on the floor having no idea how to play together or what to do other than put up a bad shot--that is if you can even get the ball in your hands from the guy who already has it and has plans for it that do not include you at all.

Comment

Toronto fans over value their players madly. Happens why you have a perrenial basement team, you have to learn to love average players.

I hate to admit it myself, but watching JV, he looks like nothing more than an average at best big in the NBA. He looks awkward shooting, he looks unskilled putting it on the floor, and his finish around the basket with hooks looks average at best. Even his open dunks look as if he lacks any real lift.

Its hard to be honest about the talent on your team, but honestly, Toronto is a very low skill team. The only guy I actually think is a player sometimes is Derozan, and thats only because he busts it into the paint.... and that happens...well, not every night.

Casey did an awesome job last night, Toronto is tanking, and they are looking to unload a few guys too. future is grim, but will have an upside.

Comment

Indiana65 wrote: View Post
                            I am writing this Saturday morning after the Hawks game last evening. I just got off the phone with Direct TV cancelling my NBA League Pass for the season. I followed Hansbrough to Toronto from Indiana via League Pass enjoying his game but I had no idea how dysfunctional this team is. There is no way he can succeed there with the type of game they play. Everything negative about this team I have read including the front page lead article on this site this morning is correct. It is not a team; right now it is 5 guys out on the floor having no idea how to play together or what to do other than put up a bad shot--that is if you can even get the ball in your hands from the guy who already has it and has plans for it that do not include you at all.
                            Sadly I agree. But still, a guy like Hansborough will be a constant, and he will not go anyplace. Stick with it bud, but perhaps not this year.

Comment

Indiana65 wrote: View Post
                              impatient much...
                              What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                              The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                                Toronto fans over value their players madly. Happens why you have a perrenial basement team, you have to learn to love average players.

I hate to admit it myself, but watching JV, he looks like nothing more than an average at best big in the NBA. He looks awkward shooting, he looks unskilled putting it on the floor, and his finish around the basket with hooks looks average at best. Even his open dunks look as if he lacks any real lift.

Its hard to be honest about the talent on your team, but honestly, Toronto is a very low skill team. The only guy I actually think is a player sometimes is Derozan, and thats only because he busts it into the paint.... and that happens...well, not every night.

Casey did an awesome job last night, Toronto is tanking, and they are looking to unload a few guys too. future is grim, but will have an upside.

bold: probably the first time i agree with you LOOL
                                unbold: and then im back to disagreeing

Comment

Working...
                                X