Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey: I think DeMar DeRozan can become that superstar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casey: I think DeMar DeRozan can become that superstar

"Organic is the word people use," said Casey, when asked about homegrown superstars. "It would be great. I would love to see DeMar DeRozan rise and grow and become that superstar. He has that ability and it's just a matter of time. That would be great for him to do that."

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/30...me-a-superstar
    Believe it or not, not trolling here.

But I do find this silly.

I can think of only player who reached superstar status after 5 years in the league: Steve Nash.

That type of talent shows itself immediately. Can you think of any other player?

I'm rooting for DeMar but I think this shows just how out of touch Casey is. I do realize he is not going to come out and say he is average but at the same time that quote comes off as delusional to me. What do you think?
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

2. Like Brandon liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We hear that every year...

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Casey making this statement before... now who was that about? Can't remember his name. He was tall and took alot of jumpshots. Really loved pasta for some reason. Ah well, couldn't have been that influential to the team if I can't remember who he was.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaches are always going to make statements like this, regardless of what they really think of the player. Not many coaches are that honest to the media.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Coaches are always going to make statements like this, regardless of what they really think of the player. Not many coaches are that honest to the media.
    Agreed. This is just Casey being a pseudo father and praising/motivating his kid.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agreed. This is just Casey being a pseudo father and praising/motivating his kid.
    While secretly he is face palming with the rest of us on every pull up jumper.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Well, superstar swingmen don't look awkward and lost with the ball in their hands. I was saying in the game chat last night that it looks to me that Ross is a much better player. I've never heard anyone use the word 'Organic' when talking about "homegrown superstars", and even so, Derozan is from L.A. I don't know why Casey is using the term, other than to avoid having a meaningful discussion about Derozan's game.
    You lost me there.

Post Thanks / Like

Casey is drunk
    @jerboat

10. Like NoPropsneeded, e2thed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Casey is drunk
    After last night, could you blame him?

We barely beat the Celtics! A team with no NBA PG who turned it over more than 20 times (last count I remember was 23 but Im too lazy to check the final stats) and was still in the game late into the 4th.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Next year it'll be Ross. Yawn.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the next logical progression in Demar's career.
    Up to him to see if he can do it and if last night was any indication, it might not materialize as quickly as Casey would like.

I hope I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe DeRozan is an enigma...

15. Like tucas, ceez, mcHAPPY, Nilanka, Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I can think of only player who reached superstar status after 5 years in the league: Steve Nash.

Can you think of any other player?
    Depends how loosely you define "superstar". The other obvious late bloomer is Gary Payton. Chauncey Billups and Detlef Schrempf? Can't think of anyone else. Gerald Wallace? Mike Miller?

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Fields easily outplayed Demar last night on both ends of the floor, yet Demar played 40 minutes and Landry 18. Forget about accountability, lets just play our "superstars"

18. Like tucas, Axel, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Landry and Hansbrough were the most impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I don't consider myself a big DeMar defender, but I see his game still developing. He was way, way more physical last night than his first couple years in the league. He attacked the paint and initiated contact in a way he didn't used to. He used to just go for dunks when he had an open lane and he never absorbed contact that well. Now he's looking for it. I have a good feeling about his developing post game, too. He's actually looking to put his shoulder into a defender's chest to throw him off balance.

Fields is great, but I don't think he'll ever be able to shoot again. His free throws were bricks and they looked horrible - he has a hitch in his shot now, and this is after working on reconstructing it for months. That nerve damage may be permanent, and if so it's always going to limit him to a 10-15 mpg role player. Your ability to take advantage of the D with quick cuts and hustle plays is limited, and much more effective against bench players. Plenty of starting SF's in this league would deny him on those plays.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I see his game still developing, but I also don't see him as a superstar.

The comparison I've always held for DeMar is to be that Caron Butler type of 3rd or 4th option. Caron has always been a good player, and has even had a couple of all-star appearances and 20 ppg years. Not that dissimilar in game. DeMar's D has to get better, which I hope it's starting to and I'll keep an eye on this season. Butler's 3 % has been good sometimes, but mediocre others.

DeMar probably will never, and should never be that 1st or 2nd guy on your team. I think he's developing nicely into a guy who can fit just after that in the pecking order.

22. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe i'm just a positive person BUT I don't know what Casey said that was sooo absurd or silly....

"It would be great. I would love to see DeMar DeRozan rise and grow and become that superstar. He has that ability and it's just a matter of time. That would be great for him to do that."

Shiiiiit - I would love for him to be a superstar too! I hope that true Raptor fans hope for the same thing! Is Casey supposed to hate on Demar like most of the posters in this thread? Yes, i said hate....lol Some of you posters have your reputations pinned on whether Demar succeeds or fails.....i think we all know who you are.

24. Like p00ka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    Maybe i'm just a positive person BUT I don't know what Casey said that was sooo absurd or silly....

"It would be great. I would love to see DeMar DeRozan rise and grow and become that superstar. He has that ability and it's just a matter of time. That would be great for him to do that."

Shiiiiit - I would love for him to be a superstar too! I hope that true Raptor fans hope for the same thing! Is Casey supposed to hate on Demar like most of the posters in this thread? Yes, i said hate....lol Some of you posters have your reputations pinned on whether Demar succeeds or fails.....i think we all know who you are.
    I also would love for him to become a superstar, but I am doubtful. It is pretty true that superstar talents don't take 5ish years to develop. And usually when they do take long it's because of a lack of opportunity early in their careers. We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post

The underlined part is the problem for a lot of fans. It's the same sort of false hope and unfair expectations that were heaped on Bargnani. DC can talk about DeRozan being a good player, a good kid and having the right attitude and approach, with a drive to get even better. DC can talk about DeRozan being a key piece of the puzzle for the Raptors and an integral part of the team's core, in terms of success this season. DC doesn't need to mention DeRozan as a superstar or becoming a superstar... that's overselling and creating unnecessary hype/pressure. Even the biggest DeRozan fanboys have to accept that he'll never be a superstar, even if he continues to improve, so why create unrealistic expectations that will only fuel the anti-DeRozan fire?

DeRozan, just like Bargnani, should never have been mentioned as anything more than a #3 option at best. Unfortunately, Bargnani was hyped up and promoted as the face of the post-Bosh franchise and declared the #1 option for several seasons, which was way beyond anything that should ever have been reasonably expected of him. I feared the Raptors were doing the same thing with DeRozan last year; at least acquiring Gay bumped him down to #2. DeRozan is a solid #3 option, but seems to have neither the game or personality to be 'the guy', which is absolutely critical to be a true superstar in the NBA.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Oct 31st, 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information