Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Game #2: Atlanta Hawks 102 - Toronto Raptors 95 (F)

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Really interesting matchup tonight. The Tegaue vs Lowry battle should be excellent, Teague looked fantastic against Dallas. Also interested to see if Schroeder torches Augustin. This game is made for Derozan to shine as he will be going against Kyle Korver for most of the game, and probably against Schroeder when Korver isn't on the court (they only played one SG against Dallas). Gay will have a bit harder time going against Carroll, who is actually a pretty tenacious defender and Hansbrough-esque in his energy. Will be a solid test of our perimeter defense as Atlanta is built to shoot lots of 3's. The matchups down low will be the highlight of the night. Really solid test for all of those guys against eachother. I'm expecting a playoff level intensity from this game as both teams know this is one of their main competitors for a playoff spot or seed (I think both will make it unless blown up).
    My guess is they play a lot of Cartier Martin tonight and if it is Korver on DD they run a lot of double teams.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
    Kyle Korver always seems to hit about 5 threes on us, but this game is winnable, I don't think Atlanta is that much better than Toronto, especially since Josh Smith is gone (another player who always seemed to murder us)

Raptors win 96-88.
    The vegas line has settled at ATL -3, and 3 points is the standard home court advantage. So, for this game at least, the bookmakers seem to think we're about equal to the Hawks in terms of overall team quality.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    My guess is they play a lot of Cartier Martin tonight and if it is Korver on DD they run a lot of double teams.
    If Derozan's play can force the Hawks to play Cartier Martin instead of Kyle Korver then Derozan is doing his job. Korver is basically their only wing who can score until Lou Williams comes back from injury. Carroll and Martin at the wings is about as weak an offensive matchup as you'll see in the NBA.

4. Like Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DD also plays better on the road than at home. I believe he shot 48.8 from the field on the road last year averaging 19 points. Also last time he played Korver he scored 30 points. I would except DD to go "ham" like NoPropsneeded would say.
    @Chr1st1anL

6. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Derozan's play can force the Hawks to play Cartier Martin instead of Kyle Korver then Derozan is doing his job. Korver is basically their only wing who can score until Lou Williams comes back from injury. Carroll and Martin at the wings is about as weak an offensive matchup as you'll see in the NBA.
    It might not be DD's play. It might be ATL coaching decision in which case I firmly expect JV to get the hook and the Raptors to match the small ball.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    So a few of my American buddies were completely bashing the Raps today on facebook. They cannot believe how lame the move to use Drake was, and I agree 1000000%.

Lame. Embarrassing.
    No offense to your "American buddies", but their opinion means nothing. I have friends who bash the raptors, it doesn't mean anything. If they start winning it might change their opinions
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raps have GOT to run the wings off the 3-point line. Korver isn't exactly known for taking it to the rack.

It's times like these when I wish we had SVG coaching us. You know he'd be jumping up and down screaming his lungs out at any open Korver 3's and would immediately bench the guilty player. With Casey it's more of just a bewildered/exasperated look, and no action taken.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote themasao wrote: View Post
    Raps have GOT to run the wings off the 3-point line. Korver isn't exactly known for taking it to the rack.

It's times like these when I wish we had SVG coaching us. You know he'd be jumping up and down screaming his lungs out at any open Korver 3's and would immediately bench the guilty player. With Casey it's more of just a bewildered/exasperated look, and no action taken.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
    We can't really afford to bench anyone, especially our guards/wings.

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We can't really afford to bench anyone, especially our guards/wings.
    I disagree. Are our backups as good as our starters? No. Does that mean we're more likely to win if we let our starters play through all their mistakes? No.

Sometimes as a coach you make moves that might not help the team's immediate output, in order to help the bottom line moving forward.

And yes, that bottom line can manifest itself within that same game: Giving up 5 or 6 points by benching a starter can pay dividends later that same game when the starter remembers to close out because of the stern talking to he was given in the 1st quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the home team this year so far are 18-2 or something crazy like that. Gonna be a tough game.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DD also plays better on the road than at home. I believe he shot 48.8 from the field on the road last year averaging 19 points. Also last time he played Korver he scored 30 points. I would except DD to go "ham" like NoPropsneeded would say.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    So a few of my American buddies were completely bashing the Raps today on facebook. They cannot believe how lame the move to use Drake was, and I agree 1000000%.

Lame. Embarrassing.
    your friends suck.period.
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Post Thanks / Like

knock yourselves out leggo game 2!

im predicting we'll actually play well. the pressure and those day one jitters are gone
    cant say much right now but we gotta get the win

leggo raps, prove Craig's friends wrong
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's game time!

Post Thanks / Like

uggh i hate the new jump suits

Post Thanks / Like

i love this commercial omagod!!!
    play ball

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Winnable game. Horford and Millsap present some tough matchups, but so do Gay and DeRozan.

Overall, just hoping to see better execution by the boys tonight. Crisper passes, improved shot-selection, and better communication defending the PnR.
    How many 'winnable games' have raps lost over the years. For me this is a critical game if raps have serious playoff aspirations.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I didn't know Jonas could do that

Post Thanks / Like

and their killing us with threes already

Thread Information