Casey - First coach to be fired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dino4life wrote: View Post
    no one was saying anything during camp or preseason. now after 2 games we know more about casey then over the last 2 years & a half ? When Casey met with Masai wasn't the selling point that he wasn't going to interfere like the last guy, he was going to let him coach and then judge him when its done.
    You're looking at this like a sociologist.
    Who cares what happened in the past, and when?
    Is he a good coach, or not?
    Nothing else matters.

What I've learned is that he's no different from the past 2 years and a half.
    That's the problem.
    And there was plenty of talk about it in preseason.
    Plenty.
    Every thread.

I'm not trying to pick on you, it just doesn't make sense to me.
    I don't care about his feelings, and Masai certainly doesn't care how it would make him look.
    It's about having a good coach.

Comment

Wittman with the now 0 - 2 Wiz is probably on a short leash and so is their GM. They lost their home opener to the 76ers.

Does Popovich have anymore assistants left?

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
        I remember watching an interview with SVG last year where he said that if he did come back to coaching that he would never go anywhere that gets cold, his family wouldn't allow it, and his daughter wouldn't be able to ride horses or something lol. Anyway he seemed very serious about it.
        They all have a price and besides Leiweke can rent him a heated riding barn for the winter.

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
          You're looking at this like a sociologist.
          Who cares what happened in the past, and when?
          Is he a good coach, or not?
          Nothing else matters.

What I've learned is that he's no different from the past 2 years and a half.
          That's the problem.
          And there was plenty of talk about it in preseason.
          Plenty.
          Every thread.

I'm not trying to pick on you, it just doesn't make sense to me.
          I don't care about his feelings, and Masai certainly doesn't care how it would make him look.
          It's about having a good coach.
          Trust me i don't care about his feelings, i've been asking for his head since early last year and he sealed his fate in my eyes when he said come Hell or high water(dumbest comment ever, especially considering who he was referring to). I'm talking about the chaotic way with no direction this organization has been run in the past, we've seen it doesn't work, and we've heard time and time again, that's what worries more free agents & coaches, the instability that is this organization, not the border, not the taxes.
          Masai has a plan, that we don't know about. Casey was part of this plan, you change your plan after 2 games, it couldn't have been that good of a plan.

Comment

Firing Casey mid-season, and not hiring the guy you want mid-season, means putting in an assistant coach who knows he's gonna get fired at the end of the season whether the team wins or looses. What is firing Casey in December instead of April going to accomplish ? Impulsive moves are what doomed this franchise. Masai had since May/April until training Camp to fire & replace Casey, he choose not to, he had his reasons we don't know about. If masai decides 45 days in that casey is not the right guy, then we got to Question Messiah's decision making process.
            A lot if it means getting minutes and experience for the young guys (JV, Ross in particular).

As long as Casey keeps 'coaching to win' (ha!) the young guys on this team, and the immediate and long term future of this team, is bleak.

Comment

I been trying to say this for how long now?
              coach sucks at developing players
              if theirs one person to blame when Ross doesn't reach his ceiling its coach Casey
              I'm pretty sure if he left Toronto, Ross would put up at least 12 points a night
              we're lucky derozan didn't have Casey around when he was a rookie other wise he wouldn't have been what he is now

if you want your players to feel like their shit and have no confidence stepping on to the floor, keep casey

i dont even get why reporters even bother to interview this man, you already know hes gonna say the same shit *blahblah..development..blahblah..important..long term..blahblah....jv..blahblah*

im not saying he needs to go im just saying he needs to respect his players especially the young guys
              Last edited by lilmamba_; Sat Nov 2, 2013, 03:26 PM.
              What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
              The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
              No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                A lot if it means getting minutes and experience for the young guys (JV, Ross in particular).

As long as Casey keeps 'coaching to win' (ha!) the young guys on this team, and the immediate and long term future of this team, is bleak.
                We debate night and Day everything Raptor related, you really think the GM and the coach of the team can't do the same ? firing the guy this early in the season is the only way ? firing is last resort, after 4 days I'm suppose to beleive they tried everything else ?

Comment

Masai has a plan, that we don't know about. Casey was part of this plan, you change your plan after 2 games, it couldn't have been that good of a plan.
                  Ah, I misunderstood.

But still, like you said, we don't know the plan.
                  He never openly stated that Casey was his guy.
                  On the contrary, when Masai came in it was a big question-mark whether he would keep him.

To me, and I believe most in the organization, the decision to keep him was in-line with the only plan he really has spoken of: Wait and see. He didn't say how long. It was a trial, and I don't think making a decision at this point would come off as rash.
                  I think Masai commands more respect than that.

Hey may not be the first, but you can be sure it's a matter of time.
                  If he stays on, it's a matter of strategy and nothing more.

Comment

We debate night and Day everything Raptor related, you really think the GM and the coach of the team can't do the same ? firing the guy this early in the season is the only way ? firing is last resort, after 4 days I'm suppose to beleive they tried everything else ?
                    For me it is not 4 days and this is just my opinion but it is 10 months. There is no difference between this year and last. I would expect noticeable change and improvement after 8 preseason games, a month of practice, and a core that has been together for 35 regular season games.

Comment

Casey is exactly the same as he was last year. It just now less fans are making excuses, if casey wasn't bad for player devolpment, in May he's not bad after 2 games, no one was saying anything during camp or preseason. now after 2 games we know more about casey then over the last 2 years & a half ? When Casey met with Masai wasn't the selling point that he wasn't going to interfere like the last guy, he was going to let him coach and then judge him when its done. Now you want masai to act like the last guy ? You say the new guy wins, how ? you win, he doesn't, he left a comfy job to come here, the teams talented players get traded away, he gets to put looses on his professional resume, then in 3-4 months you fire him and send him to find a new job with that stained resume ? you can look for positive signs all you want, it might even be better in the long run. But its still impulsive, still reminiscing of last regime, and Masai word/credibility takes a hit, just so Ross gets more minutes & Valanciunas gets more touches ? i think there's better ways to fix that ie talk it out with the coach.
                      Wow...ok...

Well people were saying it in May. People were also unsure of the impact Colangelo had on coaching. I'm sure Ujiri is included there. So wanting to see how he does things without any meddling is natural. Casey seemed to not be great for player growth last year, but everyone including him used Bargs and BC as excuses, among other things.

As for letting him coach and judging him "when it's done". Nothing along those lines was ever stated. Ujiri did suggest he wouldn't meddle. That doesn't mean it gives Casey 82 games to prove something.

As for the interim coach, usually that comes from within the team, so it doesn't really suggest that any guy is "leaving a comfy job to come here". It likely means an assistant gets to try head coaching for the first time. And when future employers look at that they will acknowledge that part of the situation. You don't actually seem to get it. For an assistant to suddenly be able to put "NBA head coach" on his resume, even with the losses, which again, any manager would acknowledge was part of the team's situation, it will look good for him, especially if he seems to do more with the team than his predecessor. It doesn't stain his resume in any way.

And finally, the last regime, the problem wasn't regarding coaches, it was regarding players. Colangelo never went 2 seasons in a row with the same "core". It in no way would affect Masai's credibility. In no way does it point to him going back on his word. Masai said he would be in "wait and see" mode, but the point of that isn't too wait as long as possible, it's just to take decisive action when you're confident in your assessment. I can't see it taking more than a couple of months for Masai to determine what pieces he thinks he'd like to keep together player-wise, and also whether the coach is the right man to get the most out of them. This isn't a sign of constant change, or stupid impulses, it's a sign of finally wanting to stop that trend, and start from scratch. You can't do that without more change, and that's just a simple fact.

Comment

Ujiri is smart enough to realize how shitty Casey is as a coach. He'll fire him once it starts to get out of hand. For all we know he could already be looking for a replacement

Comment

The assistants are new, they already left their comfy jobs.

“For me, Dwane Casey has done a great job but I have to sit down with coach and figure out what his philosophies are, what he’s thinking for the future of this team . . . then we go from there.
                          “I need this two, three weeks where coach and I are going to figure out whether this thing is going to go forward for the next year. Right now I don’t see any reason why not.”
                          http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...n_toronto.html

Like i said, i don't even agree, with his assessment of Casey, all i'm saying is, this premature talk of firing a coach you just "extented/not fired" a few months ago when it was the logical time to fire him, is going to do more harm then good for the franchise. If getting minutes for your young guys is the problem, there are much more easier ways to deal with that. How do you know the assistant will be any better for the youth ? i mean he is working for the team currently, he could voice his concerns currently, he could vouch for player X currently, or he could just be in agreement with Casey, because WE disagree with Casey for some odd reason people think the assistants agree with us. Weird

Comment

I think it's pretty clear that he is at least being out coached when it comes to everything on the offensive end. Boston and Atlanta had much better offensive flow and movement. Even if Boston didn't win, they did much more with what they had.

Last night, I tried calling most possessions and what was going to happen. For Atlanta, it was impossible, since they pass infinitely and cut and screen and a bunch of stuff that Dwane Casey doesn't even have in his vocabulary yet. When Toronto brought the ball up the floor, I was right most of the time. Long contested 2, forced drive and kick, post up too far away from basket, etc. I wouldn't be so discouraged if their defense wasn't so bad.

Comment

I used to figure Casey would have the whole year cause who cares really but when you see guys like JV being stunted and walk around like a death row inmate it's clear he needs to go sooner than later.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                                Yes, I think Casey will be fired and hopefully the first to go. We brought in two new assistants, lets just promote one to interim coach and give him the rest of the season to audition for the job. I say Nurse since he is supposedly an offensive wiz and that's our biggest weakness right now. We need to run plays to get JV involved. His lack of touches is my biggest concern for the team right now. We need to be developing JV. JV played less than 18 minutes and he only had 3 fouls!

Maybe I could ignore the lack of getting JV involved if there wasn't all these hack coaching mistakes. We can't run an inbounds play. We don't call timeouts to stem huge runs by the other team until it's way too late. I don't think we ran 1 pick and roll against the Hawks. You could count the amount of set plays on one hand.

We have a pretty talented team, definitely comparable to if not better than the Hawks, which makes it super frustrating to see Casey get thoroughly out coached every game. Unless we see some big improvements quickly Casey could be the first coach sent packing.
                                Agree JV needs more touches. If we are worse than Atlanta we are not making the playoffs period..4-19 here we come again

Comment

Working...
                                X