Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: If JV in untouchable, why not run plays for him?

  1. #61
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    HAhahaha.....so your gonna quote a stat that i used to show why we should be patient with this team and not blow it up?? You shit on Derozan but he's also in the line up. Dude be consistent....
    I shit on DeRozan because I think he's overpaid, and I have serious doubts about how he'll play on big stages, if he ever gets to one. But if he was making 7 mil a year and we only cared about the regular season, I'd be all in on him.

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    You still havent proven why he should be getting special treatment after few games into his second year in the NBA.
    Actually, I don't even know where this whole idea of special treatment came in - I thought we were just talking about giving him a few more touches per game, which is reasonable considering how high his TS% has been.

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    There you go again..... JV is getting the same treatment as Demar did!.....Or were you not around at those times? Demar would start but rarely finish games. Also, I fail to see this talent on display in the NBA? I don't see very many offensive moves from JV. I barely see an outside jumper every once in a while. Truthfully, I dont really see all that much at all. However, I love his motor and he seems to genuinely want to be a great player. In fact, I see a lot of similarities between JV and Demar.

    Not really sure what you mean when you say his talent is "off the charts"......I get nervous when i hear things like this because you used to say this about another 7 foot european.....*worried*
    derozan was drafted into a team with a glut of perimeter players. jack, turk, calderon, wright, weems, belinelli. including bosh, he was definitely not on people's minds as a scoring option, let alone to get a priority to get minutes.

    but they did end up giving him the minutes. he played many games over 20 minutes, many approaching 30, and a handful over 30. he was incredibly efficient even back then, with no issue hitting near 20pts with enough minutes. he showed them what he could do and they rewarded him.

    you most definitely cannot argue they are treating JV the same way.

  3. #63
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    705
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Hardly. In DD's second year he was the 2nd option and his minutes went up 14 per game; JV is down 3 minutes per game. JV is in his second year on the bench for more than half the game. How did DD fair in summer league his second season? Did he win MVP?

    Last 20 games of the season JV averaged nearly 15/8 per game. He was a part of one of the top 5 man line ups of last season. He was the starting C as the team went on a winning streak down the stretch playing big minutes. I always thought those things mattered for those, like yourself, who advocate keeping this core together. The Raptors best ball of last season was played with JV on the floor.

    Your comments only further solidify my belief that Raptor fans have no idea how to develop true NBA talent. Years of having DD, ED, Sonny Weems, etc. hyped as real players have left you blind.

    Any comparison to Bargnani shows you're not more than a troll on this topic. He is European? So what. He is talented? Hell yeah. How many bigs shoot 80% from free throw line? People, myself included, were still waiting for Bargnani at 26 years of age; JV is 21. Bargnani was on life support, shied from contact floating on the perimeter, and was a zombie; JV has a motor, bangs, and is not emotionally detached from the game. JV as a rookie was .2 rebounds shy of Bargnani's career best in about 30% fewer minutes per game.
    "How many bigs shoot 80% from the free thow line?"

    Lol - Dude i must admit i was expecting more from you. This is the talent you were saying is off the charts??? I said i love JV's motor too btw.

    Grabbing rebounds better than bargnani is hardly a talent either. Lol

    Im not gonna shit on JV because i really like the guy and think he can be a good player for us. However, stop being a homer like you were with bargnani. At least wait until JV proves to be more than an average nba center. I think he will get there but your crying over his development like we have Tim Duncan! Summer league is summer league.....We in the nba now homie!

  4. #64
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    JV is a few games into his 2nd year. If he's the player we all think he can/will be, his time will come. SO FAR (outside of summer league) he's done nothing to suggest he should be be getting special treatment. He needs to WORK HARD for his minutes and i think he will.
    he finished last year with 13.5pt, 2blk, 9rb/3orb per 36 minutes. through these 3 games, hes at 10pt, 2.2blk, 11.6rb/5orb per 36 minutes. you dont think those are good enough stats to give him the minutes?

    or you would prefer he bring those upto 20pt/5blk/20rb per 36 minutes before we consider what hes worth?

  5. Like JimiCliff liked this post
  6. #65
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    "How many bigs shoot 80% from the free thow line?"

    Lol - Dude i must admit i was expecting more from you. This is the talent you were saying is off the charts??? I said i love JV's motor too btw.

    Grabbing rebounds better than bargnani is hardly a talent either. Lol

    Im not gonna shit on JV because i really like the guy and think he can be a good player for us. However, stop being a homer like you were with bargnani. At least wait until JV proves to be more than an average nba center. I think he will get there but your crying over his development like we have Tim Duncan! Summer league is summer league.....We in the nba now homie!
    Considering he is the only average NBA C on the roster, it is probably time to start playing him.


    Also, I was expecting a little more from yourself as well:

    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post242826

    You've thrown Bargnani in my face a number of times. I think that is interesting considering your previous comments on the guy.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Nov 4th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  7. #66
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JV needs more minutes, period

  8. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  9. #67
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    Bingo! I was thinking the same thing going over this thread.......JV has to earn his minutes. This means he has to do whatever the coach asks him to do. NO MORE spoiling/Coddling our young players. I truly believe that JV is simply not ready for this and coach is bringing him on slowly. WE ALL believe that JV will get where we need him to be (even coach Casey).
    I don't mind Casey sitting down JV, as long as he does the same thing with Gay for poor shot selection. Problem is, Casey talks a great game about culture and discipline, but he doesn't have the stones to enforce it, except to rookies and borderline D-Leaguers. What Casey doesn't realize is that when the vets fall in line, that sets the culture by example and everyone else follows suit. If there was someway to bring in SVG or Jerry Sloan.....

  10. #68
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JV got Summer LEague mvp because who could stop him?? Big competition is a joke in the SL lol but hey the guy dominated something he was supposed to.

  11. #69
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Saj

    I see a game against Atlanta where derozan took 23 shots and gay took 22 while Jonas took 5. It just seems like every time jonas does a turnover or gets a cheap foul, either the coach loses trust or the two guys who usually have the ball in the half court lose trust. We need Jonas to turn into something special and that won’t happen unless he gets touches. He’ll make mistakes but it’s all a process. We aren’t making the playoffs with gay and derozan settling for mid-range jumpshots. Also, I know there’s a chance Jonas may not be ready to 15 and 10 this year but we have to give him touches to find out. We already know what we got with those two other guys. What do you think? Thanks for the great chats.

    Steve Kyler

    I think you have given the problem more thought than I have.

    This is the problem when you have guys heading towards free agency and a coach on the hot seat… Toronto is in win-now mode and that will come at the expense of development.

    Keep in mind, that the 48 minutes of game time is not all there is. There is a ton of practice, shoot-arounds and development time that comes before and after games. When players show improvement in those environments, they get more game opportunities.

    The Raptors believe in Jonas, but they all understand they are somewhere else if they do not win and that is a big part of the problem.

    I look at these kinds of situations like this — “Hey the boats leaking, we should get a bucket.” the real answer is we should fix the leak, then get a bucket.

    The Raptors seem like they only care about the bucket and not fixing the leak. To be fair a lot of teams do this same thing.


    Making Jonas better makes the Raptors better, but the guys on the team need to win now.


    Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-rumors...ve-kyler-11413
    What he said.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  12. Like Nilanka liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •