No announcement yet.

Is DeMar really the so-called "Enigma"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like how DeRozan's game is developing. He'll be fine, and he's on his way to making his contract look pretty reasonable.

Raptors fans continually pick apart the highest profile players on the team, so long as the team is losing. I can see why, but that's all this is. All the Bargnani-angst is now being vented on DeRozan, Gay, and Lowry.

DeRozan and Gay should be taking the most shots on this team. They're definitely the most talented offensive players. That said, I'd like to see more of their J's come within the flow of the offense instead of in quite so many forced one-on-one situations. They both are working hard at taking it into the paint so far this season, which is great. I'd still like to see them each reduce their shots just a bit - JV especially needs more regular touches, and Lowry could be finishing a couple more plays a game. Greater variety in the offense would help everybody, including DD and Gay.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I personally like Derozan, and on his current trajectory, I really hope they keep him because the guys never stops improving, wants to be the best, and has a good head on his shoulders. he's the type of guy you keep around. He doesnt need to be a super star.

Comment

Also at fault here is that as soon as someone is the #1 option on a team, fans start wanting him to be Kobe- or LeBron-esque. Just because DeRozan may be getting "franchise guy" praise from the coach or GM doesn't mean he's being put on the same level as Kobe, which is how fans seem to interpret it. It just means the guy is the best offensive player on this team, which at the moment is projecting to be a lottery team or a very low playoff seed at best. That's not really saying much when you're saying Player A is the best player on Terrible Team. You're not comparing him to league MVPs, that's for sure.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
          Also at fault here is that as soon as someone is the #1 option on a team, fans start wanting him to be Kobe- or LeBron-esque. Just because DeRozan may be getting "franchise guy" praise from the coach or GM doesn't mean he's being put on the same level as Kobe, which is how fans seem to interpret it. It just means the guy is the best offensive player on this team, which at the moment is projecting to be a lottery team or a very low playoff seed at best. That's not really saying much when you're saying Player A is the best player on Terrible Team. You're not comparing him to league MVPs, that's for sure.
          It's when people use that excuse to not trade him, that the unwarranted comparisons to the game's greatest, are implied.

"We can't trade DeRozan! He's our BEST player!"

We can use this logic for Dirk or Lebron, but not for DeRozan or Kemba Walker....

Comment

Derozan is an NBA pro, that behaves like a hard working college player. I like that. Other "stars" might have more glitz, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side guys, trust me, be happy with players that work hard and like to come and give their all.

I'm not sure there are THAT many players that play his position that are better, and the ones that might be, are only marginally so. i would go as far as saying that along with JV, Hansborough, maybe Fields if he keeps playing smart ball, He's the only other guy you even consider keeping around.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
              I personally like Derozan, and on his current trajectory, I really hope they keep him because the guys never stops improving, wants to be the best, and has a good head on his shoulders. he's the type of guy you keep around. He doesnt need to be a super star.
              I'm coming around to this line of thinking, to be honest, but there are conditions:

1) you need to get a better PG than Lowry,
              2) DD can't be your best wing - offensively or defensively,
              3) You need a PF/4 who can step outside,
              4) still don't think the idea of him as a 6th man should be ruled out.

Comment

DeRozan's TS% was 52.3% last year, which is 1% lower than the average SG. And scoring is supposed to be his remarkable skill. So far this year, he has not even managed that.

He is player that will always struggle to be average, which, while way better than Bargnani, who is way below average, is simply not good. Sure, every team needs some average players, so I'm not saying DeMar has to go at all costs.

He is the weakest link in the starting lineup, though not by far, as Gay is not that much better, and so far this year, far worse, and paid way more, so I'd definitely keep DD over Gay.

You could say that JV is behind him, since he's *currently* below average for a starting centre, but with JV you have potential. DD is a vet, odds of him getting substantially better are small.
                Last edited by Quirk; Mon Nov 4, 2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I like how DeRozan's game is developing. He'll be fine, and he's on his way to making his contract look pretty reasonable.

Raptors fans continually pick apart the highest profile players on the team, so long as the team is losing. I can see why, but that's all this is. All the Bargnani-angst is now being vented on DeRozan, Gay, and Lowry.

DeRozan and Gay should be taking the most shots on this team. They're definitely the most talented offensive players. That said, I'd like to see more of their J's come within the flow of the offense instead of in quite so many forced one-on-one situations. They both are working hard at taking it into the paint so far this season, which is great. I'd still like to see them each reduce their shots just a bit - JV especially needs more regular touches, and Lowry could be finishing a couple more plays a game. Greater variety in the offense would help everybody, including DD and Gay.
                  It could also be argued that none of those players are really that good and/or worth the money they're paid. It's not like any of them have ever been to an all-star game, or really been considered for it.

That isn't meant to be a shot against any of them, but rather against the continued futility of this franchise. As fans, we keep drinking management's Kool-Aid and actually start believing that our best players are actually great players, which isn't necessarily the case, just because they're the best we have.
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Nov 4, 2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                    DeRozan's TS% was 52.3% last year, which is 1% lower than the average SG. And scoring is supposed to be his remarkable skill. So far this year, he has not even managed that.

He is player that will always struggle to be average, which, while way better than Bargnani, who is way below average, is simply not good. Sure, every team needs some average players, so I'm not saying DeMar has to go at all costs.

He is the weakest link in the starting lineup, though not by far, as Gay is not that much better, and so far this year, far worse, and paid way more, so I'd definitely keep DD over Gay.

You could say that JV is behind him, since he's *currently* below average for a starting centre, but with JV you have potential. DD is a vet, odds of him getting substantially better are small.
                    That's a terrible, out of context usage of TS%. Comparing him to the average SG? The average SG wasn't a primary offensive option who average 18 ppg. You'd have to compare his TS% to wing players with similar usage rates who would also be facing the opposition's best defensive guard and taking many of the team's tough, end-of-the-shotclock type shots.

Tyson Chandler's TS% was 67% last year, even though he can't shoot a f#*$)ing basketball at all. DeMar does have a lot of offensive talent and an ability to create shots - comparing his TS% to the league average for his position does not negate that at all.

That said, sure DD's percentages need to get better, along with his shot selection. His game is still evolving and improving, though. I'm a long way from giving up on him.

Comment

That said, sure DD's percentages need to get better, along with his shot selection. His game is still evolving and improving, though. I'm a long way from giving up on him.
                      Odds are, they will not. He is an average SG.

Look, that's kinda awesome, he's a player you can truly say belongs in the NBA! Every team needs players like DeRozan. Legitimate NBA players do not grow on trees. The majority of draft picks never become one. I'm more than happy to have DeRozan be a Raptor for his whole career!

However, to be a great team you also need need players who are great, who are way above average. These are very rare. DeRozan is not one of them, neither is Gay.

And sure, it's possible he becomes one -- anything, as they say, is possible.

Odds are, he wont.
                      Last edited by Quirk; Mon Nov 4, 2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X