Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy trade idea with Charlotte and Detroit

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kew4c99

Charlotte Bobcats trade Kemba Walker and Ben Gordon to Toronto and receive Kyle Lowry from the Raptors and Rodney Stuckey from the Pistons.

Detroit Pistons trade Greg Monroe and Charlie Villanueva to Toronto, Rodney Stuckey to Charlotte and receive Rudy Gay, Terrence Ross and Aaron Gray from the Raptors.

Toronto Raptors trade Rudy Gay, Terrence Ross and Aaron Gray to Detroit, Kyle Lowry to Charlotte and receive Greg Monroe and Charlie Villanueva from the Pistons, Kemba Walker and Ben Gordon from the Bobcats.

Toronto would also give picks to both Charlotte and Detroit.

So, for this season, this is the roster:

Valanciunas/Johnson/Villanueva
    Monroe/Hansbrough/Acy
    Fields/Novak/Daye
    DeRozan/Gordon/Stone
    Walker/Augustin/Buycks

Sure, this is a hard trade to do. But hey, if you ever have the chance to get Greg Monroe and Kemba Walker in your young squad, you do it, whatever the cost of it. Both Villaunueva and Gordon's contracts would be off the books next summer, generating 22M$ cap space.

Do you guys like this trade? Would you do it? Do you think the other teams would do it?

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't give up picks for either Monroe or Walker.

*I think Detroit would jump on it.

Not so sure about Charlotte.

Comment

Would you do it if you wouldn't have to give out picks to Detroit?

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
        Would you do it if you wouldn't have to give out picks to Detroit?
        I would do it if I didn't have to give picks to Detroit. And if I had to give picks up, and to Charlotte, I would definitely not give them a 1st rounder. Maybe one of our extra second rounders.

Comment

I don't see why not give away one of our 1st rounder. Greg Monroe is a future all star and Kemba Walker is also a future star caliber player. The chances that we get better players via draft are slim. I'm about 100% sure that with a roster that includes Kemba Walker, DeMar DeRozan, Landry Fields, Greg Monroe, Jonas Valanciunas, Tyler Hansbrough and Amir Johnson, 2014 playoffs are a really good possibility and 2015 playoffs are a LOCK.

We would have a whole lot of cap space next summer, so we would be able to sign other good players to complete the roster and sign Monroe to an extension. If some of you are doubting that Fields would not be a good fit as our starting SF, I think that with this unit he would be perfect. Up to date he's pretty good this season. And our frontcourt would definitely be one of the best in the league for years to come, same as the team (IMO).
          Last edited by charlesnba23; Sun Nov 3, 2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Were there picks in the original deal, judging by comments? Right now it doesn't look fair. I don't think that Charlotte would trade Kemba for Lowry straight up, or that Detroit would give up Monroe for Gay+Ross.

Comment

Yes there were. That's why I'm saying that I don't see why we shouldn't trade 1st round picks to get those 2 young STARting caliber players.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                I don't see why not give away one of our 1st rounder. Greg Monroe is a future all star and Kemba Walker is also a future star caliber player. The chances that we get better players via draft are slim. I'm about 100% sure that with a roster that includes Kemba Walker, DeMar DeRozan, Landry Fields, Greg Monroe, Jonas Valanciunas, Tyler Hansbrough and Amir Johnson, 2014 playoffs are a really good possibility and 2015 playoffs are a LOCK.
                The problem is the picks aren't the only part of this trade. Sure you MIGHT not get a better player in the draft but when you throw in the fact were losing our best players in the deal it doesn't seem worth it.
                I'd rather stick with our decent team and hope for luck in the draft to get a Monroe or Walker calibre player(especially in this draft), then trade all our picks and players away to set a ceiling on our team. That's the problem with trading away picks. We won't have any cap space after signing extensions and then your left in a spot where you don't have enough to sign free agents to turn you into a contender and you can't become a contender through the draft because you traded your picks away. This trade gives the raptors a ceiling. Letting Gay's contract expire and keeping our picks leaves us with the POTENTIAL to have a much higher ceiling. We'd have cap for free agents AND draft picks.

Comment

Yeah... this wouldn't happen. There's no way that Charlotte goes into this trade, as Kemba Walker is still on his rookie deal and, given his improvement, could have a higher ceiling than Lowry. That doesn't mean the Detroit trade doesn't work. Instead, we'd trade Gay, Novak and our trade exception from the Bargs trade for Monroe, Stuckey, Charlie V and Kyle Singler (as a replacement for gay because he has 2 years left on his rookie deal and plays SF). Detroit has already shown interest in Gay, and they'd also acquiring additional floor spacing from Novak (who isn't staying on the Raptors anyways, as he's a piece that only works on a playoff team w/ great defense).

Comment

Working...
                  X