Tim Leiweke and Wiggins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Not a Wiggins idea here, more to do with Lieweke (wasn't sure what thread to put this in). I'm not much of a soccer fan so I don't know what to make of TFC's moves. Lieweke spoke very frankly about his plans for TFC. Go out and get the players that the team deserves. He has said the same thing about the Raptors. Did he meet his goal for the TFC? Does that bode well for the raps? Is it unrelated? I'm looking at you, Arse.
    The TFC situation is not exactly analogous because soccer's payment structure is vastly different from basketball's and because soccer has a much, much wider talent pool to draw from: TFC went after Gilberto (a fine pickup) and then DeFoe (a veteran star) and appears to be closing the deal with Bradley (a star in his prime) and spent a ridiculous amount of money doing so, but did it without violating MLS's teeny salary cap. The NBA's cap situation makes it much more difficult to do this, particularly when the only way to get top players with money is via free agency rather than trade. (Brooklyn tried to game the system and buy a championship, and look what's happened there.)

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
      The TFC situation is not exactly analogous because soccer's payment structure is vastly different from basketball's and because soccer has a much, much wider talent pool to draw from: TFC went after Gilberto (a fine pickup) and then DeFoe (a veteran star) and appears to be closing the deal with Bradley (a star in his prime) and spent a ridiculous amount of money doing so, but did it without violating MLS's teeny salary cap. The NBA's cap situation makes it much more difficult to do this, particularly when the only way to get top players with money is via free agency rather than trade. (Brooklyn tried to game the system and buy a championship, and look what's happened there.)
      I think it's more if we end up in a Memphis situation where they had to trade away one of their best players for salary reasons, that the Raps would have the financial backing to stay put and go for the championship and pay the luxury tax. Hopefully this is a problem we're having in the future.

Comment

• Yes this shows a management group that is prepared to win at the correct time. Soccer is much different because by adding these players we can instantly be put in possible contender status. NBA doesn't work like that unless its 3 starts which can't be signed. This does show us when the time is right the money will be spend as needed.

Comment

• the crowd was singing started from the bottom now we're here at the bradley/defoe presser today. bizarre living in an age where raptor and tfc fans aren't complete moops.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post

Hmmm
            Is soccer worth it in Canada? Do you guys watch that game in general I mean?
            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• canada's pretty multicultural and soccer is fairly huge/important to a lot of cultures so i'd say yes
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Bigger than basketball/baseball?
                I understand one thing, there's a lot of arabians and people from southern Asia in general, they love soccer, correct me if Im wrong about the popullation part.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                  Bigger than basketball/baseball?
                  I understand one thing, there's a lot of arabians and people from southern Asia in general, they love soccer, correct me if Im wrong about the popullation part.
                  Pretty much any geographical population you can think of has a strong base in the Greater Toronto Area. Soccer is pretty popular, but I'm fairly confident that TFC specifically hasn't usurped the Raptors or Jays just yet.

Comment

• whooo boy

there's also a ton of europeans here in canada, toronto especially, and they're big soccer fans.

look at it this way, i have no actual facts to back myself up but there's probably more immigrants and immigrant born families in canada than not and soccer is bigger everywhere else in the world that's not north america.

plus not all "canadian" people even care about basketball/baseball
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• basically, if TFC fields a competent team more people are going to be interested in it, just like the raps and jays.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        whooo boy

there's also a ton of europeans here in canada, toronto especially, and they're big soccer fans.

look at it this way, i have no actual facts to back myself up but there's probably more immigrants and immigrant born families in canada than not and soccer is bigger everywhere else in the world that's not north america.

plus not all "canadian" people even care about basketball/baseball
                        yeah, forgot about Europeans, as our Baltic region is unique in a sense that probably it's the only place in Europe where football isn't a primary sport.

Comment

• I've been saying for a week that the TFC story was great news for the Raptors and is one of the most under-noted stories on Raptors boards. No NBA team will want to pay those repeater penalties, but you cannot look at this move and say MLSE is cheap. If the Raptors are prepared to pay tax, it changes all the calculations about what kind of pieces you can add to the current team. It has the potential to change everything.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Pretty much any geographical population you can think of has a strong base in the Greater Toronto Area. Soccer is pretty popular, but I'm fairly confident that TFC specifically hasn't usurped the Raptors or Jays just yet.
                            Well it's quite pitty that Tim himself clearly stated in few occasions that hes more of an soccer guy, so I believe it's his primary goal. From business point of view I understand why they could allow themselves to invest more into soccer, it brings more profit.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                              Well it's quite pitty that Tim himself clearly stated in few occasions that hes more of an soccer guy, so I believe it's his primary goal. From business point of view I understand why they could allow themselves to invest more into soccer, it brings more profit.
                              I actually think the recent flurry of TFC signings (and TL's history with bringing Beckham over) speaks louder to their future pursuit of a huge-name free agent (ie: Durant in 2016), than it does to a possible 'all in' for a draft pick (ie: Wiggins). If TL/MU and the Raptors are going to make a similar splash in the NBA, they'd need to do so with a proven talent. Yes, Wiggins would be a dream come true for their marketing/PR team, but he's far from being a sure-thing type prospect. On the flip side, building a solid, deep young core with cap space in 2016, is a script that writes itself...

Comment

• #durantin2016
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X