Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do Raptors have an identity?

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I can't support losing on purpose. I'm also not ok with waiting another half a decade to play in the playoffs.
    There's a very real chance that if this current core is kept intact, it will miss the playoffs for the next five years.

And there's, oh, let's say, a 97% chance that if this current core is kept intact, it will lose badly in the first round for the next five years.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, losing out on Barnes (and Lillard) still keeps me awake at night.

Sigh.....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

3. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The stats may suggest our defense is ok, but watching the games says otherwise. It is certainly better than our offense, which isn't saying much is it? So I wouldn't say we have an identity. Going back to the reputation thing, I doubt there is a team in the league that fears this team, or even thinks it will be a tough matchup when they look at the schedule. Every team that plays the Raps probably thinks they are going to win, or has a good chance of doing so. Conversely, I don't get the sense that this Raps team ever enters a game thinking they are going to control the game and get a W. They have no attitude or swagger or perhaps it's just confidence. This team just doesn't have it collectively, and it's hard to develop that when two of your players are chewing up the possessions and taking alot of bad shots.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    There's a very real chance that if this current core is kept intact, it will miss the playoffs for the next five years.

And there's, oh, let's say, a 97% chance that if this current core is kept intact, it will lose badly in the first round for the next five years.
    Your basing this after 4 games? Oh alright. Damn god no here is our GM.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Man, losing out on Barnes (and Lillard) still keeps me awake at night.

Sigh.....
    One on a coin flip, the other with our pg getting a triple double in the last game for a meaningless shit win and to crown it all a pass on Drummond when he fell. A trifecta of management ineptitude then leading to a mediocre capped team.

Rant over.

7. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think our identity post Bargs is that we are a team that relies on superior athleticism and 1 on 1 play to try to win games. I am hopeful that it will change to a team that uses it's athleticism to play good defense and get on the glass. Right now our starting 5 is one of the longest most athletic units in the league, that is probably where we should be focussing this season.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Your basing this after 4 games? Oh alright. Damn god no here is our GM.
    I think you can base it on the ~40 games this team has been together and the fact that (other than JV and Ross) every other key player is in his prime. So, unless Ross and JV turn into Wade and Dwight overnight, this is pretty much as good as it gets....

Yeah, they'll look better some night when the jumpers are going in but that's not a long term recipe for success.

10. Like Axel, Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I think you can base it on the ~40 games this team has been together and the fact that (other than JV and Ross) every other key player is in his prime. So, unless Ross and JV turn into Wade and Dwight overnight, this is pretty much as good as it gets....

Yeah, they'll look better some night when the jumpers are going in but that's not a long term recipe for success.
    DD isn't in his prime
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DD isn't in his prime
    Dave Berri disagrees:
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...12553424283372

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I disagree with Dave Berri
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing kills a "rebounding identity" like stapling your best rebounders to the bench.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote brothersteve wrote: View Post
    It’s only three games into the regular season, but it is already obvious Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey’s defense is back. Number 7 in the NBA for points allowed per 100 possessions at 96.1 and number 1 in rebounding and in keeping opponents off the offensive glass, this time Casey’s defense might even be better than in the lockout shortened 2011-2012 season. Plus, after playing three of last season’s Eastern Conference playoff teams in row, it can’t be said the early indications were the result of soft schedule. Raptors Coach Casey’s Defense Is Back

This team's identity is defense & rebounding - that is what the changes made to the roster in the summer were all about.

By the way - getting the ball back by rebounding better trumps a few points on the FG% every time - of course its better to do both well.
    Last night was a perfect example of why this is not true.

Raps won the battle on the boards by a rebound but they shot 49.3%.

If you don't get them shooting a low percentage you can't take advantage on the defensive glass.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information