Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we tanking or is Casey just stupid? Why is JV getting backup minutes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro tankers should love this LOL!
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      Pro tankers should love this LOL!
      Those of us advocating a rebuild have always held out giving Jonas maximum development time as being one of the most important, if not THE most important, aspect of that rebuild. Regardless of whether you want to be competitive or you want to rebuild, Casey's coaching is working against us.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
        You know it's really bad and a serious issue involving the Raptors when even NBA.com has an article on the front page of their site questioning why JV isn't given a chance. That's how bad Casey is fucking this up right now.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/1...=iref:nbahpt6f
        Yeah its pretty ridiculous really. Most of the teams nowadays play 'small ball' because there's not a lot of great low post big man anymore.

So when opposing teams play small ball against us do we really need to match up with them?? even though its not our strength? I dont know about you but our best lineup IMO is when JV is on the floor.

And i've been saying this here for a while, we need opposing teams to matchup against us not the way around.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

yet

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

yet

The Tank is On.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
              The Tank is On.
              “They stayed with LeBron at the four, and that’s why we stayed with Landry at the four."

No surprise Landry's +/- is -18

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                "If it ain't broke, break it." - Dwayne Casey.
                now that made me laugh.

Comment

I don't know why there are so many threads calling for Casey's job.

We are not trying to win and we're certainly not trying to trade JV. Casey's doing his best to showcase the players that must be traded, and he's doing a fine job of it. Hopefully Gay will step up so we can get something of worth.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    I don't know why there are so many threads calling for Casey's job.

We are not trying to win and we're certainly not trying to trade JV. Casey's doing his best to showcase the players that must be traded, and he's doing a fine job of it. Hopefully Gay will step up so we can get something of worth.
                    don't know if this is true or not, but if we assume he is I have to ask - is it working?

Can't see anyone finding Demar, Gay, or Lowry any more desireable atleast so far, then they would have in the offseason. Fields has looked better, but the jump from rock bottom to something higher usually isn't to far (and his contract is still complicated in a deal)

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                      don't know if this is true or not, but if we assume he is I have to ask - is it working?

Can't see anyone finding Demar, Gay, or Lowry any more desireable atleast so far, then they would have in the offseason. Fields has looked better, but the jump from rock bottom to something higher usually isn't to far (and his contract is still complicated in a deal)
                      I think you're right and I've been thinking a lot about this. I think there's a fine line but it's only 4 games in. I think you try this for another 5-7 games, and then for the next 10-12 you try something new.. like playing them with JV more. Maybe they play better with JV there, who knows? However there's the risk that we also win more games.

I still think Casey's employment has to be tied to expectations of the team. If you expected the Raptors to take the 6-8 seed, then I can see why you're calling for his head. But if you expected us to continue in mediocrity and try to find a way to trade the wings, then we're right where we're supposed to be, if not slightly better.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

Casey is trying to keep his job with wins. Unfortunately, trying to match-up with the defending Champs best line-up by going away from your team strength (which conveniently is the Heat's weakness) is just a bad decision. Small-ball will work against a lot of teams, but against Miami (especially without Bosh), you have to play big and pound the rock.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          I think you're right and I've been thinking a lot about this. I think there's a fine line but it's only 4 games in. I think you try this for another 5-7 games, and then for the next 10-12 you try something new.. like playing them with JV more. Maybe they play better with JV there, who knows? However there's the risk that we also win more games.

I still think Casey's employment has to be tied to expectations of the team. If you expected the Raptors to take the 6-8 seed, then I can see why you're calling for his head. But if you expected us to continue in mediocrity and try to find a way to trade the wings, then we're right where we're supposed to be, if not slightly better.
                          Yep 4 games are rather meaningless. But I think so far they've shown, and what we'll continue to see, is the players on this team who should/would/could be traded aren't going to increase their trade value by seeing more or consistent minutes.

Now I will say, them not seeing minutes could easily decrease their perceived value, so Masai will want them to be on the floor with regular starter minutes. But they are who they are, NBA GMs know this - until Colangelo or Kahn get rehired somewhere anyways. Their minutes to value ratio (I know doesn't really exist but I'm sure people know what I mean) is all downside, very little upside.

The wait and see approach is basically Masai crossing his fingers hoping something happens to another team to create greater demand for players on this team. In the mean time, we will be wasting perfectly good losses.

Comment

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I just saw this and thought it was ridiculous. Check out the +/- from the Golden State Warriors starting line up from the game against the 76ers:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400488921

Comment

I think that it's Masai's master plan to tank. He kept Casey on because Masai knows that despite being a good motivator and nice guy, Casey is a terrible tactitian as evidenced by the numerous close losses, terrible designed play calling, weak in game adjustments (hey let's play small ball with the best small ball team in the world). So he knows that despite having 7-10 playoff seed talent, they won't play to that level this year. So later this season they'll go into sell-off mode and Casey will be gone next year and Masai will bring in his own guy. It will all just play out.

Comment

Honestly JV is playing terribly compared to last year. The guy can't back guys down and establish post position for shit this year, yesterday Miami had the crappiest front court I've ever seen and JV had to pass out of the post multiple times cause his position was bad, on top of that he is fumbling some of the passes he does get in the post. Defensively, he is committing terrible fouls and needs to work on his positioning.

This is what you get when you send him out to stupid things like eurobasket.

Comment

Working...
                                X