Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we tanking or is Casey just stupid? Why is JV getting backup minutes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craiger wrote: View Post
    Yep 4 games are rather meaningless. But I think so far they've shown, and what we'll continue to see, is the players on this team who should/would/could be traded aren't going to increase their trade value by seeing more or consistent minutes.

Now I will say, them not seeing minutes could easily decrease their perceived value, so Masai will want them to be on the floor with regular starter minutes. But they are who they are, NBA GMs know this - until Colangelo or Kahn get rehired somewhere anyways. Their minutes to value ratio (I know doesn't really exist but I'm sure people know what I mean) is all downside, very little upside.

The wait and see approach is basically Masai crossing his fingers hoping something happens to another team to create greater demand for players on this team. In the mean time, we will be wasting perfectly good losses.
    Another thing I'm kinda-sorta reading into is this, and I could be way off base. The NBA as it is, no longer revolves around the dominant (or even semi-dominant) Big Man. No longer is it the goal of every GM to try to find that CENTERpiece to build his team around. I know I said earlier that it may start to make sense to see if we can increase perceived value of the wings by playing them with JV, but perhaps there's a reason not to and this is it. Simply put, other NBA GMs don't have a JV-type of player and so it doesn't really matter to them if Gay/DeRozan/Lowry can play well with JV. What they want to see is how Gay/DeRozan/Lowry handles a smaller lineup and where they fit in, but that's how they're building their team. They want to see if Gay can play a bit of PF and how he handles that role and if he has that versatility. It may not make a whole lot of sense for the Raptors to use him this way, but perhaps it showcases his ability if thrusted into that role, and maybe that's what Masai thinks other GMs might be looking for.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

Throw this whole "showcase" thing out the window. That is such an overused excuse.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Throw this whole "showcase" thing out the window. That is such an overused excuse.
        I really hope it is the reason behind things.

If not, then Casey really is an awful coach and the Raptors are going to put JVs development in the pooper.

Comment

Any particular reason to throw "showcase" out the window, other than your personal expert knowledge on the topic?
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

Showcasing does happen.. I think it makes sense based on MU's whole 'wait and see' approach. Although it hurt Bargnani's trade value last year.. is it going to do the same for Gay and Lowry this year?

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
              So I'll take the latter. He's just plain stupid. How can you no see JV as a positive in that game? 18 points, 9 rebounds in 27 minutes. Also, why is Amir not in the game? 6 points, 6 rebounds in 23 minutes. This doesn't even include the defense and energy the both of them play. Why is Fields playing 28 minutes? Fields had one good game and all of a sudden he gets more minutes than two of the major starters? Casey's logic right there or no logic at all for that matter...
              I was literally yelling at the TV last night:

1. Learn when to call a timeout
              2. You can't have Hansborough as your only big man on the floor
              3. Why would you wait until 4 minutes left in the game before putting your starters in
              4. Why are we the only team in the league that consistently plays 10 or 11 guys every night

I like DC a lot, but I agree. I think he over thinks everything to the point that it is impossible for him to coach effectively during a games. I hate to say it, but I think we could do a lot better with the talent we have.

He made key decisions that put the game out of reach yesterday, and I think he will continue to do this for the rest of his time here

Comment

O yeah, and Fields is playing well...but that shouldn't give him carte blanche to have the offense run through him in the 4th.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I really hope it is the reason behind things.

If not, then Casey really is an awful coach and the Raptors are going to put JVs development in the pooper.
                  We are also not really talking about how he is taking a pretty talented guy like Lowry and rendered him almost useless. And Ross, who I still think has a lot of upside, is getting pushed down in the rotation in favour of fields.

The only person who gets the benefit of the doubt as far as playing time is DD, and we are not going anywhere fast with him playing 40 minutes a game.

Comment

If we want to showcase our guys, then running an NBA offense involving plays, specifically the pick-and-roll and variations thereof, would be the absolute best way to showcase them. That way teams could say "hey, this guy will fit our system", instead of "hey, this guy takes a lot of really bad shots from isos".

Casey's coaching is effectively lowering the value of everyone on our roster, and I didn't even think that was possible.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      "If it ain't broke, break it." - Dwayne Casey.
                      BAHAHAHA.. Amazing. That actually made me laugh out loud. Well played, sir.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                        Yeah its pretty ridiculous really. Most of the teams nowadays play 'small ball' because there's not a lot of great low post big man anymore.

So when opposing teams play small ball against us do we really need to match up with them?? even though its not our strength? I dont know about you but our best lineup IMO is when JV is on the floor.

And i've been saying this here for a while, we need opposing teams to matchup against us not the way around.
                        That's pretty obvious. Look at the teams that give Miami the most trouble. Boston (back when they had Pierce and Garnett), Indiana, Chicago, San Antonio, etc. They all have big men playing defense to bothered the Heat's offense. Boston had Garnett; Indiana has West and Hibbert; Chicago has Boozer (even though he doesn't play defense) and Noah; and San Antonio has Duncan and Diaw. Of course, having a good point guard on most of these teams help (Rondo, Rose and Parker), but having big man on the floor to pressure the Heat has shown to work well again the Heat.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          I don't know why there are so many threads calling for Casey's job.

We are not trying to win and we're certainly not trying to trade JV. Casey's doing his best to showcase the players that must be traded, and he's doing a fine job of it. Hopefully Gay will step up so we can get something of worth.
                          That has nothing to do with it. Showcasing the players that must be traded? We assumed BC did that with Bargnani and he had the worst season of his career. He showcased how crappy he was. And yet MU still got a great deal out of him. It isn't about showcasing players playing well (which our players aren't), but how good your GM can convert them into positive assets in the future.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                            That's pretty obvious. Look at the teams that give Miami the most trouble. Boston (back when they had Pierce and Garnett), Indiana, Chicago, San Antonio, etc. They all have big men playing defense to bothered the Heat's offense. Boston had Garnett; Indiana has West and Hibbert; Chicago has Boozer (even though he doesn't play defense) and Noah; and San Antonio has Duncan and Diaw. Of course, having a good point guard on most of these teams help (Rondo, Rose and Parker), but having big man on the floor to pressure the Heat has shown to work well again the Heat.
                            Heaven forbid Casey actually dictates the flow of the game! lol That's been an issue I've had with Raptors coaches for years, going back at least as far as Smitch; they are always reactive with matchups, rather than trying to be proactive and make the opposition react to them. It's ironic that he didn't try that against Miami, since that's what Casey seems to have done against Milwaukee, in a successful attempt to neutralize their best players (ie: Ilyasova, Sanders and Pachulia). Perhaps it speaks to the talent level, in that the Raptors players simply aren't good enough to force the other teams' hand...

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Casey is not tanking.. he needs to win to save his job. I think he believes that JV getting minutes is a detriment to the win/loss column. It's not all about statistics.. its whether or not he is making a positive impact on both sides of the floor when he's in the game. From my view point I think he's a positive not a negative.. but DC most likely disagrees.
                              Then Casey should go.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                The subtlest of tanks
                                You may be onto something...

Comment

Working...
                                X