View Poll Results: Which phone is the best?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sony Xperia Z1

    0 0%
  • Samsung Galaxy S4

    4 100.00%
  • LG G2

    0 0%
  • Apple iPhone 5s

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Best Smart Phone

  1. #1
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Best Smart Phone

    So it's time to retire my iphone 4. It's done me well for the past three years but I'm looking forward to moving on to bigger and better things. I've narrowed a list down to the following:

    • Sony Xperia Z1
    • Samsung Galaxy S4
    • LG G2
    • Apple Iphone 5s


    I'm looking for a quality build, that's going to be fast, take good pictures and of course the surprisingly overlooked: Call quality.

    Two of these have expandable memory, which I appreciate, and two do not.

    I don't care about leaving all my Apple apps and walking away from that.

    Which phone do you like most out of the three? Right now for me I'm leaning more towards the Z1 or the S4.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hmm im also looking to upgrade from my iphone 4 at some point so im curious as well.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I bought S4 few months ago.

    Great phone, amazing camera, but call quality could be better.

    EDIT: My gf has 5s, great phone too, smaller than S4 but the weight is pretty much the same.
    Last edited by rocwell; Wed Nov 6th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    S4 all day long

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have owned apple and sony products and now, I find them to be a bit of a joke because all you're paying for is the name. There isn't any great quality about them anymore and it's not anywhere near worth the price.

    I don't like LG either. They're products are known not to last as long as other brands.

    Which, for me, leaves Samsung. I'll go with Samsung all day long.

    I don't care about all the apple apps, but I have an Ipod anyways. So, if I want to play the apps, I can use that.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a Note 2... and swear by it.. and will be upgrading to the Note 3 soon..

    but I can see how somebody might be overwhelmed by it's size... the width of the phone is 75% of the length of my blackberry (it's for work... don't judge me... I hate myself for ever using it)... once you get used to it, it is an absolute pleasure

    the s-pen simplifies EVERYTHING... texting by actually writing things.. what?! not to mention the benefits for photo editing.. or note taking..

    for obvious reasons, the bigger screen is better for reading / watching videos / etc..

    battery life is INCREDIBLE... especially considering how much drain there must be from a screen so large

    of the phones listed... the SGS4 would be my vote..

    i'm on my fourth "smartphone"... started with the iphone 3gs, then the Motorola razr, then the SGS2, now the Note 2... and soon the Note 3... The Samsungs have had the best initial impression on me, and the best lasting impression..

    another good option is the Nexus 5... haven't had a chance to play with it too much yet.. but on paper it's very comparable to the upcoming lineup of smartphones... and has the added benefit of being "pure google"

    the SGS5 should be coming out in the new year too

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just upgraded from my old iPhone 4 to the 64gb 5S. Very pleased with my decision. But I really only use my phone for music, texts, and calling. I've got an iPad for games, movies etc. So if you use it for Games, Movies as well as Text, Phone etc, then the S4 or Note 3 are your best bets.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I just upgraded from my old iPhone 4 to the 64gb 5S. Very pleased with my decision. But I really only use my phone for music, texts, and calling. I've got an iPad for games, movies etc. So if you use it for Games, Movies as well as Text, Phone etc, then the S4 or Note 3 are your best bets.
    I don't mean to shit on the iphone... I really don't... but joey brings up a good point... if you're using it for video/music... especially of the not so legally obtained varieties... android is hands down the way to go..

    android has the ability to play ANY media file... plus, torrenting directly to your phone and direct access to your file directory completely change the mobile game.

    iphones still got it on legitimately obtained music/video... if you are one who prefers to pay for your content... but google play is catching up

    right now, I download all my torrents to my phone... connect the phone to my ps3 via media server or through my ps3.. and watch videos on my tv... unless I don't have time.. then I watch on the phone on the subway..

    music I choose to pay for (it does happen every once in awhile when I feel an artist actually deserves my money).. I usually buy on my pc via iTunes and download the mp3s to transfer to my note

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    I don't mean to shit on the iphone... I really don't... but joey brings up a good point... if you're using it for video/music... especially of the not so legally obtained varieties... android is hands down the way to go..

    android has the ability to play ANY media file... plus, torrenting directly to your phone and direct access to your file directory completely change the mobile game.

    iphones still got it on legitimately obtained music/video... if you are one who prefers to pay for your content... but google play is catching up

    right now, I download all my torrents to my phone... connect the phone to my ps3 via media server or through my ps3.. and watch videos on my tv... unless I don't have time.. then I watch on the phone on the subway..

    music I choose to pay for (it does happen every once in awhile when I feel an artist actually deserves my money).. I usually buy on my pc via iTunes and download the mp3s to transfer to my note
    Shit on it all you want! Haha I know the iPhone isn't the best option out there.

    BUT when you are already engrained in the Apple Environments, and have paid a junk load of money of different Apps in the App Store, then carrying that over only makes sense. And with the iPad, the two talk to each other nicely, and share all their toys.

    I agree that being able to Torrent from the Phone would be pretty fantastic for Music, but I have a good set up with my home PC being connected to my TV for any Movies/TV. And with the Wireless syncing now, its pretty simple to load the music on from any torrents.

    The only thing that really worries me about Android is the amount of Counterfeit Apps and Trojans that can kill your device. Gotta buy an anti-virus for your phone now! Lol


    OH, and the Camera in the 5S is bloody spectacular. Can't speak to the others.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Nov 6th, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  10. #10
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Only the Sony:

    I'm almost completely sold on the Sony Xperia Z1 now but thanks for all the feedback, especially on the Note 3. I wasn't considring that one, don't know much about it but I will study up tonight.

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I have owned apple and sony products and now, I find them to be a bit of a joke because all you're paying for is the name. There isn't any great quality about them anymore and it's not anywhere near worth the price.

    I don't like LG either. They're products are known not to last as long as other brands.

    Which, for me, leaves Samsung. I'll go with Samsung all day long.

    I don't care about all the apple apps, but I have an Ipod anyways. So, if I want to play the apps, I can use that.
    I'm all about Sony. I have a Bravia TV, PS3, PSP, PSV, Bluray and alarm clock.

    All my gear is quality. I agree you pay more for the name but my Bravia TV(1080) is almost six years old, not a pixel is gone, the picture is still amazing quality. Meanwhile the typical life of a lot of other brand sets is much less than this. Maybe initially you get a sense that the quality is no better? I don't know, but what I do know is my gear by Sony does not break down on me.

    Anyway, I'm renewing my contract with Bell to get the phone. It looks like I'd have to pay $77 for the 5S so I'm thinking the Xperia and others will be around that cost to me... I'm really glad contracts are only 2 years now.

    I'm impressed with the Z1's best in class camera. I have a 2 year old so pictures and videos are very important to me now... That wasn't the case when I got my iphone 4 three years ago.

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Shit on it all you want! Haha I know the iPhone isn't the best option out there.

    BUT when you are already engrained in the Apple Environments, and have paid a junk load of money of different Apps in the App Store, then carrying that over only makes sense. And with the iPad, the two talk to each other nicely, and share all their toys.

    I agree that being able to Torrent from the Phone would be pretty fantastic for Music, but I have a good set up with my home PC being connected to my TV for any Movies/TV. And with the Wireless syncing now, its pretty simple to load the music on from any torrents.

    The only thing that really worries me about Android is the amount of Counterfeit Apps and Trojans that can kill your device. Gotta buy an anti-virus for your phone now! Lol


    OH, and the Camera in the 5S is bloody spectacular. Can't speak to the others.
    Outside of some games, my favorite iphone apps are all free. If you get a Z1 from Bell the promotion is they give you $170 worth of Sony enviroment content (ie: 10 Playstation games, 6 movies and some other stuff). That eases the pain. Sony is smart by doing this because the long term investment in converting people could be huge. The Z1 will also have PS4 integration apparently. I'm trying to find out if some of my PSN mobile games I have for PS Vita would work on the Z1.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Anyway, I'm renewing my contract with Bell to get the phone. It looks like I'd have to pay $77 for the 5S so I'm thinking the Xperia and others will be around that cost to me...I'm really glad contracts are only 2 years now.
    If you are getting additional discounts to get the 5S down to that price, the Z1 will likely be even less.

    Another thing to take into consideration is that you WILL have to choose one of the current plans when signing a new 2-year contract. If you have one of the "good" older plans, then you may be in for a bit of a surprise.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know a whole lot about the Z1... my experience with early Xperias was less than stellar..

    just took a quick look at the specs though... holy crap does the Z1 have a monster camera... reviews say the flash is underwhelming, but that's something I could live with..

  13. #13
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Snizzoop wrote: View Post
    If you are getting additional discounts to get the 5S down to that price, the Z1 will likely be even less.

    Another thing to take into consideration is that you WILL have to choose one of the current plans when signing a new 2-year contract. If you have one of the "good" older plans, then you may be in for a bit of a surprise.
    On the Bell website the price of each is the same but I am calling Bell back tonight so I can fill you guys in on what they tell me; the Z1 just released in October. If I'm getting either of those phones at that price it looks like an excellent deal. The Z1 has a far superior back camera and a better front camera. I'm pretty sure the front camera on the Z1 is even better than the back camera on my iphone 4 ha, ha... Anything I get will be a huge upgrade over what I currently have.

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about the Z1... my experience with early Xperias was less than stellar..

    just took a quick look at the specs though... holy crap does the Z1 have a monster camera... reviews say the flash is underwhelming, but that's something I could live with..
    I have no experience with Sony phones or Android O/S but the reviews on the Z1 are mostly stellar and you're right, the camera sounds really amazing minus a few little nitpick things some people have pointed out.

    If funny that many of the reviews don't mention call quality. A lot has changed with phones it would seem. Apparently they're not used for calling people anymore.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hmm...I thought I saw the Z1 at $199 and the 5S at $229. I must have looked at the wrong phone...maybe?

    People definitely don't use phones the way they used to...you can tell by the current line up of plans. Lots of minutes...free long distance...very little data. The plans with lots of data are mega bucks. Obviously they are charging for what people use. In an attempt to add "value" to their plans, they are giving away what people don't use...minutes..

    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe we're talking different storage sizes on the iPhone?

    One thing I really value is expandable memory. Apple hoses their customer base on the memory; its way overpriced and it's going to bite them someday soon because there are comparible phones out there with expandable memory.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I'm almost completely sold on the Sony Xperia Z1 now but thanks for all the feedback, especially on the Note 3. I wasn't considring that one, don't know much about it but I will study up tonight.



    I'm all about Sony. I have a Bravia TV, PS3, PSP, PSV, Bluray and alarm clock.

    All my gear is quality. I agree you pay more for the name but my Bravia TV(1080) is almost six years old, not a pixel is gone, the picture is still amazing quality. Meanwhile the typical life of a lot of other brand sets is much less than this. Maybe initially you get a sense that the quality is no better? I don't know, but what I do know is my gear by Sony does not break down on me.

    Anyway, I'm renewing my contract with Bell to get the phone. It looks like I'd have to pay $77 for the 5S so I'm thinking the Xperia and others will be around that cost to me... I'm really glad contracts are only 2 years now.

    I'm impressed with the Z1's best in class camera. I have a 2 year old so pictures and videos are very important to me now... That wasn't the case when I got my iphone 4 three years ago.



    Outside of some games, my favorite iphone apps are all free. If you get a Z1 from Bell the promotion is they give you $170 worth of Sony enviroment content (ie: 10 Playstation games, 6 movies and some other stuff). That eases the pain. Sony is smart by doing this because the long term investment in converting people could be huge. The Z1 will also have PS4 integration apparently. I'm trying to find out if some of my PSN mobile games I have for PS Vita would work on the Z1.

    I still like to think of Sony as quality. Their just not like they used to be...they haven't gone to crap like apple. But, I'm starting to become a Samsung guy more and more.

    I still have a lot of Sony stuff, though. I don't dislike them.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Snizzoop wrote: View Post
    People definitely don't use phones the way they used to...you can tell by the current line up of plans. Lots of minutes...free long distance...very little data. The plans with lots of data are mega bucks. Obviously they are charging for what people use. In an attempt to add "value" to their plans, they are giving away what people don't use...minutes..
    I was at a buddy of mine's condo a couple weeks ago... leaving to hit the bars, got in the elevator, and the weirdest elevator music came on... it was the song that was playing during the home invasion/rape scene in A Clockwork Orange... me and my buddy looked at each other with the WTF expressions..

    it took a couple seconds... but I realized it was my phone..

    that's how often it rings.. so often that I had no clue what my own ring tone was.

    I think I've had more skype conversations in the last year than actual phone calls.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've been a fan of Samsung phones for a long time...before smartphones existed. I actually used to work at a Bell store, and it was the phone most recommended. My brother is an assistant manager at a Bell store here in Barrie.

    Between the two of us, we've had:
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Both of us are using this now)
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2

    That being said, my bro said that the new Sonys are nice. I personally like the screen tech (S-AMOLED) of the Samsungs...black is BLACK! They are great indoors...not that good outdoors.

    Also, I've ordered a Nexus 5...it'll be here today. My wife will be using it though.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the thing I like about Samsungs are how awesome they are right out of the box... Touchwiz is a fantastic interface..

    Rooting androids is great... it really is... completely different from jailbreaking an iphone... with a little tech-savviness, rooting can really enhance your smartphone experience...

    but with Touchwiz, it's almost irrelevant.. it runs so well, you don't really have the urge to change anything

    my friend's wife has my old S2... and it still runs smooth like butter

  20. #20
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ok, so, the person I talked with yesterday gave me incorrect information. It was over $200 to get the 5S. The Xperia Z1 was $200. I talked her down to $150 and she waived the activation fee. I also got a sweet new loyalty plan. I'm pretty happy with how the call went. I'm grabbing the phone tomorrow or Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •