No announcement yet.

Best Smart Phone - 2015 update in post 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heinz, it's like discovering Santa Clause isn't real.

Wow, this phone is amazing and the O/S gives me a lot of freedome; enough to keep me satisfied enough not to try a jailbreak and void the warranty.

I will try keep, thank you.

Here's my first "ah ha" moment: WatchOn. My phone now controls my Bravia TV and Moto PVR. It's far more responsive to commands than my remotes. It also has a nifty TV guide which recommends shows and allows me to one click set the PVR. That's money from downtown. Break out the salami and cheese momma.

In other news: I just ordered a Thermostat for my house which can be adjusted via my new phone from anywhere in the world.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Heinz, it's like discovering Santa Clause isn't real.

Wow, this phone is amazing and the O/S gives me a lot of freedome; enough to keep me satisfied enough not to try a jailbreak and void the warranty.

I will try keep, thank you.

Here's my first "ah ha" moment: WatchOn. My phone now controls my Bravia TV and Moto PVR. It's far more responsive to commands than my remotes. It also has a nifty TV guide which recommends shows and allows me to one click set the PVR. That's money from downtown. Break out the salami and cheese momma.

In other news: I just ordered a Thermostat for my house which can be adjusted via my new phone from anywhere in the world.

there is no such thing as jailbreaking on android. It's called rooting. it's allowed under most warranties, and easy reversible... but, android is such a free OS, it's almost not even worth the effort... what it does give you is the ability to tweak the phone.. something most people wouldn't give two shits about... change the firmware, play around with different custom ROMs if touchwiz isn't to your liking.. but touchwiz is pretty awesome in itself... some of the Samsung bloatware is MEH... but the OS itself runs like magic

there are some things rooting is fantastic for... but if you don't care to really delve into the nitty gritty of your phone, I wouldn't suggest it... changing the modem and kernel can really tweak performance... call quality, data connection, etc... how your phone allocates battery usage... but it can also ruin it... I spent literally MONTHS changing them every day trying to find one that suited me when I had an S2... but with the Note 2, it just isn't even necessary at all

Comment

Conclusion (2014)

So I've had the Note 3 for about 2 months now. I love it more now than even when I first got it. I am also loving the Android platform. I think I'm officially done with Apple.

Comment

Ive had the lg g2 for three months now and i love it. Don't know how it compares to other smart phones but haven't encountered any problems at all. Besides weird spot for the power button.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
            have you gotten used to the stylus yet? seriously changes the whole game. messaging, photo editing, even match 3 games... it's awesome

since it's your first foray into android... I cant recommend installing as many of google's apps as possible.. Keep is one of the best note taking apps I've ever used.. and load up on your cloud storage apps too... most of them give you bonus space for using a Samsung for some reason
            I have the Note 8, and my favourite note taking app is Papyrus. I haven't used Keep though.

Also, checkout Stylus Beta (it's an input app, where instead of a traditional keyboard you just write what you need to write with the stylus).
            Last edited by nubreed000; Sun Mar 9, 2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Smart Phones 2015

I'm back at it again. I'm coming up on the end of my two year contract and I'm looking for a new phone. My Note 3 has served me well but it's time to move on man.

Here are some key things I want:
              • Expandable memory (card slot)
              • Good battery
              • Removable battery option (nice to have)
              • Good performance
              • Nice screen, although 2k is unimportant to me.
              • Android OS
              • Good value. I'm looking for best bang for my buck.

So far I've been reviewing Samsung and Sony options. I'm not impressed that Sony is not rolling out their new product line to Canada though. While I've loved my Note 3, the thing is big and I now have a Samsung Tab S 10.5 so my need for a big phone isn't necessarily there anymore. I know the Samsung S6 doesn't have expandable memory or a replaceable battery but the in house memory is 128GB and that's a lot. In the poll I listed a bunch of options and I'm open minded to switching off of Samsung but I am not open minded to moving back to Apple OS or switching to Windows.

Comment

I was impressed with the specs on the OnePlus 2, but the waiting list turned me off big time.

https://oneplus.net/2

Also, hearing really good things about the Nexus 5X

http://www.techinsider.io/google-nex...aign=buffer-ti

And although a tad older, the LG G4 is a solid phone (and probably cheaper than some of its main competitors). I'm using the previous G3 and really like it. Ticks off every item on your list.
                Last edited by Nilanka; Tue Oct 20, 2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I'll read up on the OnePlus 2. Honestly don't know anything about it.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I'll read up on the OnePlus 2. Honestly don't know anything about it.
                    From what I've heard, probably one of the best phones around (that nobody talks about), but customer service is abysmal. Being a small Chinese start-up, they don't have the bandwidth to keep up with customer demand.

Comment

That's a major turnoff. While I thankfully never had a reason to call Samsung, I'm sure their support would be on par with other major corps. One good thing about going with a big manufacturer is that they have the history and they have volume of units out there whereby if there is a design flaw chances are there is a big discussion about it somewhere you should be able to find during research.

Comment

I miss heinz57. I have iPhone 5s, with a case that is Lego compatible.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Heinz was entertaining, no doubt. Says he hasn't signed-in in almost a year.

Comment

New modular, upgradeable phone:

Really neat concept. Imagine just being able to upgrade to a larger screen, better battery, or better Camera without having to upgrade your whole phone.
                            Last edited by Joey; Thu Oct 22, 2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Great idea but this phone is very niche. It looks like it would be very appealing to the hardcore PC crowd who enjoy coming up with PC builds, ordering the parts, putting it together and trouble shooting. I don't think this concept will take off in a big way because most of the smartphone and tablet users are very limited in their abilities and comfort around technology.

Looking at my old Note 3, I still love the screen and stylus. If I could replace the housing, the processor and the memory at a material savings I would possibly opt for that kind of model.

I think this company should also focus on customization on the outside (ie: branding and flashier, bolder look options at a premium cost).

Comment

Blackberry Priv is looking really interesting. Full Android plus a slide out keyboard & high security. I've got big fingers and have never gotten comfortable with virtual keyboards or voice input. Blackberry hardware is legendary - they were only missing the apps, but the Priv rectifies that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X