Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMar's Post Game = Fool's Gold?

Just posted this on the main page:

We all know DeMar is developing a post game, which I like, and I thought he looked better going at the rim and absorbing contact these days. So I went to NBA.com to check out his shot distribution charts. What did I find? Disappointment.

DeMar's shot attempts at the rim, as a percentage of his total FGA:
    2009-2010: 55.27% (283/512)
    2010-2011: 42.63% (492/1154)
    2011-2012: 34.66% (313/903)
    2012-2013: 32.58% (401/1231)
    2013-2014: 23.94% (17/71)

He actually peaked attacking the basket in terms of total shot distribution as a rookie, and peaked in terms of total attempts at the rim in his 2nd year.

Anyone else surprised by that?
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Should include his FG% at the rim:
    2009/10: 60.07%
    2010/11: 56.91%
    2011/12: 56.23%
    2012/13: 56.11%
    2013/14: 58.82%

Pretty static.

Comment

Not really, his best season was as a rookie because he is nothing but a supporting player, not a 1-2 or even 3rd option

Comment

I think we should also remember that Demar gets to the FT line from taking the ball to the rim as well. Do his FGAs near the rim also count the free throws he takes as a result of getting fouled near the basket?
        OG is our king

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
          I think we should also remember that Demar gets to the FT line from taking the ball to the rim as well. Do his FGAs near the rim also count the free throws he takes as a result of getting fouled near the basket?
          No - his FTA in years 2-4 stayed very steady at 5 FTA/game, even though he was taking more and more shots away from the rim. So even though he's getting better at drawing fouls, he's attacking less and shooting J's more. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            No - his FTA in years 2-4 stayed very steady at 5 FTA/game, even though he was taking more and more shots away from the rim. So even though he's getting better at drawing fouls, he's attacking less and shooting J's more. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out.
            Change "interesting" with "painful" and I agree.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              Change "interesting" with "painful" and I agree.
              It won't be painful for me.

I'd love to see JV and Ross show what they can do.

I'd love to have multiple 1st round picks (going to be hard with how the 'core' is playing).

I'd love to have optimism again.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                It won't be painful for me.

I'd love to see JV and Ross show what they can do.

I'd love to have multiple 1st round picks (going to be hard with how the 'core' is playing).

I'd love to have optimism again.
                I meant specifically Demar attacking less and shooting more jumpers. I fear we won't get to see what JV and Ross can do because Demar will be hoisting the long 2s all game. If Demar continues the trend that S.R. pointed out, and he continues to get the bulk of the minutes and touches, then painful is how I would describe it.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I meant specifically Demar attacking less and shooting more jumpers. I fear we won't get to see what JV and Ross can do because Demar will be hoisting the long 2s all game. If Demar continues the trend that S.R. pointed out, and he continues to get the bulk of the minutes and touches, then painful is how I would describe it.
                  I would just call it the return of a recurring nightmare of the last few seasons.

lol

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I would just call it the return of a recurring nightmare of the last few seasons.

lol
                    I just call it Raptors Basketball.

Comment

I just call it Raptors Basketball.
                      Dammit, I waited all summer and we're only five games into the season. I hope serious roster moves happen sooner rather than later - at least there'll be that process to watch and talk about instead of rehashing what these chumps are doing on the floor night in and night out.

The Charlotte Bobcats! Without Al Jefferson! That was horrible.

Comment

Maybe off topic but relevant to DD...not too much mention of the quality of shot DD took (which turned out to be the last offensive play in the game last night)...with 27 some secs left. It was good intent/right play....driving to the hoop... but the execution? He got intimidated by Biyombo and did what used to be his mo on such moves....avoid contact and veer away so changing his shot in midair. Of course it was a miss. If ever there was a time not to do this but draw contact and the penalty (possibly a 3 and the lead) was on that shot. There was no foul on that play though I believe the radio guys were hollering for it (DD landed on the floor).

Nitpicking maybe but it's the little things.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Maybe off topic but relevant to DD...not too much mention of the quality of shot DD took (which turned out to be the last offensive play in the game last night)...with 27 some secs left. It was good intent/right play....driving to the hoop... but the execution? He got intimidated by Biyombo and did what used to be his mo on such moves....avoid contact and veer away so changing his shot in midair. Of course it was a miss. If ever there was a time not to do this but draw contact and the penalty (possibly a 3 and the lead) was on that shot. There was no foul on that play though I believe the radio guys were hollering for it (DD landed on the floor).

Nitpicking maybe but it's the little things.
                          If not for all the tank talk and shock over DC's coaching, I think you're right that the final shot selection would be getting a lot more scrutiny. I thought it was a terrible shot selection. I also thought it was exactly the type of play that the new-and-improved DeRozan was supposed to have moved on from (out of control drive that shied away from contact, hoping to be bailed out by refs). It was an awful play, an awful play call, awful coaching in an absolutely awful game. Sadly, I never expected much more from DeRozan and, when the pressure was on, he once again reverted to his old form. He is what he is.

Comment

Annnnnnnd, the replays clearly showed that there was absolutely no foul on the play.

Comment

The shot selection on that last possession was definitely an issue, but in a season with terrible shot selection (by DeRozan, as well as others), I can't really nitpick on 1 single possession.

Poor execution is simply a theme for this team. That's what its identity is.

Comment

Working...
                              X