View Poll Results: after 2 back to back double digits blow lead should casey be fired

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    20 76.92%
  • no

    6 23.08%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 251

Thread: Will Masai fire Casey ?

  1. #121
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    every city has advantages and disadvantages though, not just us, like I mentioned yesterday, even LA and NY have had their difficulties attracting FAs
    Its worth mentioning here that you are identifying specific periods of time, without any way to qualify the details (did the team not want a player? was the team able to afford the player? Where they competing against someone else for the players same services) vs the entire existence of a franchise (eg. Toronto).

    We can do this over and over again for over half the teams in the NBA. There is a very real and unequal distribution of resources that player's value, and this has existed since the time when their salaries were capped. Utah, Minn, Toronto, Milwaukee, OKC (Seattle before), and so on down the line do not exist within and equal playing field to all other markets.

  2. #122
    Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Its worth mentioning here that you are identifying specific periods of time, without any way to qualify the details (did the team not want a player? was the team able to afford the player? Where they competing against someone else for the players same services) vs the entire existence of a franchise (eg. Toronto).

    We can do this over and over again for over half the teams in the NBA. There is a very real and unequal distribution of resources that player's value, and this has existed since the time when their salaries were capped. Utah, Minn, Toronto, Milwaukee, OKC (Seattle before), and so on down the line do not exist within and equal playing field to all other markets.

    We're the only fanbase that uses that excuse (and I think we have the most pathetic fanbase in the league), I don't see any of those other fanbases using that excuse.

    and by the way, Dwight Howard did not want to stay with the Lakers this past summer,
    there's talk of Melo leaving the Knicks now as well

    that tells me that they could be having some trouble soon.
    Last edited by peanutwoozle; Sun Nov 10th, 2013 at 03:53 PM.

  3. #123
    Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    you're right..... the Knicks will have a hard time finding a free agent to go to New York... same in LA...

    come on dude.

  4. Like iblastoff, rocwell liked this post
  5. #124
    Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    you're right..... the Knicks will have a hard time finding a free agent to go to New York... same in LA...

    come on dude.
    who is going to be recruiting?

  6. #125
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    The draft is not the only way to go though. For a team like us, our best option is to scout the league and find a guy to buy low on.
    That's exactly what BC did with numerous trades and free agents, swing for the fences and hope for the best, but most of them were spectacular failures. You say you don't like tanking because of the emphasis it puts on the draft (by far not the only part of a tank strategy, btw), which you call a gamble. If a top-7 pick in a loaded draft is a gamble, then what would you call building through buy-low guys? There's usually a reason guys become buy-low (ie: Gay), which I would argue is a far bigger gamble than a lottery draft pick. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

    A tank strategy involves many parts:
    - unloading bad, old, overpaid, and expiring players
    - acquiring prospects (buy-low?)
    - acquiring additional draft picks (not just 2014 - diversification reduces risk)
    - accumulating trade assets (one trade could lead to subsequent trades)
    - clearing cap space (to be able to sign free agents)
    - improving their own positioning for the 2014 draft (no, tanking is not just about this)

  7. #126
    Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    That's exactly what BC did with numerous trades and free agents, swing for the fences and hope for the best, but most of them were spectacular failures. You say you don't like tanking because of the emphasis it puts on the draft (by far not the only part of a tank strategy, btw), which you call a gamble. If a top-7 pick in a loaded draft is a gamble, then what would you call building through buy-low guys? There's usually a reason guys become buy-low (ie: Gay), which I would argue is a far bigger gamble than a lottery draft pick. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

    A tank strategy involves many parts:
    - unloading bad, old, overpaid, and expiring players
    - acquiring prospects (buy-low?)
    - acquiring additional draft picks (not just 2014 - diversification reduces risk)
    - accumulating trade assets (one trade could lead to subsequent trades)
    - clearing cap space (to be able to sign free agents)
    - improving their own positioning for the 2014 draft (no, tanking is not just about this)
    The BC method was throw random s**t together and expect it to work, he never once evaluated if players could play together or not. I trust Masai Ujiri to do just that, evaluate, not sign a guy just because he is a big name (Colangelo method). Buying low can work, in cases of George Hill and Thabo Sefolosha, if you evaluate. That is what it comes down to, evaluation.

  8. #127
    Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    The BC method was throw random s**t together and expect it to work, he never once evaluated if players could play together or not. I trust Masai Ujiri to do just that, evaluate, not sign a guy just because he is a big name (Colangelo method). Buying low can work, in cases of George Hill and Thabo Sefolosha, if you evaluate. That is what it comes down to, evaluation.
    You can't just say "... never once evaluated if players could play together or not" or that Colangelo would "...sign a guy just because he is a big name" as if those statement are true. You completely lose all credibility when you state something that you have an opinion about as if it were true. And then move on as if you have now established a factual base for further statements.

    By all means bring perspectives to the discussion, and express opinions. But don't just throw shit out there. And then get into arguments with people because they don't accept your opinions as if they were based on recorded conversations or notarized and witnessed statements. It just encourages people to discount your opinions.

    You have no idea what Colangelo thought, or discussions he entered into or conversations that occurred between members of the Raps management team over the last three - four years. All you know is what happened. I'm no Colangelo apologist, but he isn't evil incarnate, nor is he a stupid man, nor was he operating in a complete vacuum with no plan. His plan just didn't work out the way he anticipated. And he paid the price.

    And I agree with you that Masai appears to be an upgrade. At least, you and I believe he is an upgrade. We will only know if that is true or not in a couple of years.

  9. #128
    Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    You can't just say "... never once evaluated if players could play together or not" or that Colangelo would "...sign a guy just because he is a big name" as if those statement are true. You completely lose all credibility when you state something that you have an opinion about as if it were true. And then move on as if you have now established a factual base for further statements.

    By all means bring perspectives to the discussion, and express opinions. But don't just throw shit out there. And then get into arguments with people because they don't accept your opinions as if they were based on recorded conversations or notarized and witnessed statements. It just encourages people to discount your opinions.

    You have no idea what Colangelo thought, or discussions he entered into or conversations that occurred between members of the Raps management team over the last three - four years. All you know is what happened. I'm no Colangelo apologist, but he isn't evil incarnate, nor is he a stupid man, nor was he operating in a complete vacuum with no plan. His plan just didn't work out the way he anticipated. And he paid the price.

    And I agree with you that Masai appears to be an upgrade. At least, you and I believe he is an upgrade. We will only know if that is true or not in a couple of years.
    I'm just going by what I saw him do, and quite frankly, that's exactly what it looked like.
    examples:
    Turkoglu was a misevaluation - needed the ball in his hands, wasn't going to happen with Calderon here, also couldn't defend worth manure
    Kapono was a misevaluation - good 3pt shooter coming to a team where there were no shots available
    JO was a misevaluation - washed up and bad knees.
    That shows me he was just throwing random s**t together and expecting it to work.

    It was also BC's stupidity that allowed Miami to form their big 3, he took the one contract Miami needed to get rid of in order to make the big 3 possible (I'm talking about you, Marcus Banks).
    Last edited by peanutwoozle; Sun Nov 10th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.

  10. #129
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    I'm just going by what I saw him do, and quite frankly, that's exactly what it looked like.
    examples:
    Turkoglu was a misevaluation - needed the ball in his hands, wasn't going to happen with Calderon here, also couldn't defend worth manure
    Kapono was a misevaluation - good 3pt shooter coming to a team where there were no shots available
    JO was a misevaluation - washed up and bad knees.
    That shows me he was just throwing random s**t together and expecting it to work.

    It was also BC's stupidity that allowed Miami to form their big 3, he took the one contract Miami needed to get rid of in order to make the big 3 possible (I'm talking about you, Marcus Banks).
    And BC sold it to fans that getting that TPE was so critical to our future...

  11. Like peanutwoozle liked this post
  12. #130
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Any recent updates or rumors on Dwayne Casey firing?

  13. #131
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Any recent updates or rumors on Dwayne Casey firing?
    I don't think you hear anything about toronto unless masai wants you to hear it.

  14. #132
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think you hear anything about toronto unless masai wants you to hear it.
    Yeah, even with the Smitch firing years ago, nobody knew of it until it was official.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  15. #133
    Raptors Republic All-Star Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Nobody wants to play with Kobe Bryant, especially star players. The Lakers have that big problem, but they'll also be one of the only teams with lots of cap space this summer. Carmelo may go there because his wife works in LA. But otherwise they have the Kobe problem to deal with.
    Kevin Love makes the most sense for LA. He's a UCLA guy whose play style fits with Kobe better than Melo would. New York is reportedly also targeting Love for that matter.
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

  16. #134
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think you hear anything about toronto unless masai wants you to hear it.
    When will the hammer drop?

  17. #135
    Raptors Republic All-Star lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Etobicoke<3
    Posts
    2,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he needs to go and i know both tankers and non tankers agree
    you dont want him developing Wiggins now, do you?
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    dat Atlantic division dominance

  18. #136
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    he needs to go and i know both tankers and non tankers agree
    you dont want him developing Wiggins now, do you?
    The whole team, minus TL and MU need to go.

    I have no problem trading anybody on the team, other than JV to be honest.

    I'd love to keep Tyler/Amir, for their energy, but everybody else, IMHO, is very expendable.

    However, If down to the wire, i'd take Tyler over Amir, simply for the contract and stuff.

  19. #137
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is my first ever post. I just want to direct you to



    Look how they handled the situation raptros basically had against the nets. (the last shot). Now thats a play

  20. Like Axel liked this post
  21. #138
    Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote skyesonic wrote: View Post
    This is my first ever post. I just want to direct you to



    Look how they handled the situation raptros basically had against the nets. (the last shot). Now thats a play
    Good first post. Keep them coming.

  22. #139
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Last nights game against Brooklyn looked like Casey was coaching to lose. Some of the worst coaching decisions he has made all year. Putting Amir in the corner for that last shot is just one example. It was a good play because you know the help is coming, but why on earth do you have Amir in the corner? Casey's rotations sucked as well. I thought during the 2nd quarter that maybe Casey was trying to minimize the amount of time DD and Gay played together and I don't know what the logic was but keeping the only two guys that were playing well off the floor as long as he did was like coaching to lose IMO. Fourth quarter was the same, with a long stretch where the only starter on the floor was Gay, so it was pretty obvious how the offense was gonna go...Rudy ISO's. Rudy can't even hit an alley-oop right now so fielding a lineup where he is pretty much your only offensive option is just terrible coaching. Absolutely disgusting basketball in a must win game. I know if this wants to tank, then the best way to go about it is to let Casey do what he is doing, keep JV and Gay and move everyone else on the roster.

  23. #140
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Last nights game against Brooklyn looked like Casey was coaching to lose. Some of the worst coaching decisions he has made all year. Putting Amir in the corner for that last shot is just one example. It was a good play because you know the help is coming, but why on earth do you have Amir in the corner? Casey's rotations sucked as well. I thought during the 2nd quarter that maybe Casey was trying to minimize the amount of time DD and Gay played together and I don't know what the logic was but keeping the only two guys that were playing well off the floor as long as he did was like coaching to lose IMO. Fourth quarter was the same, with a long stretch where the only starter on the floor was Gay, so it was pretty obvious how the offense was gonna go...Rudy ISO's. Rudy can't even hit an alley-oop right now so fielding a lineup where he is pretty much your only offensive option is just terrible coaching. Absolutely disgusting basketball in a must win game. I know if this wants to tank, then the best way to go about it is to let Casey do what he is doing, keep JV and Gay and move everyone else on the roster.

    I am certainly not going to defend the play, as there was no player movement, no screens, etc. It was simply, give the ball to Rudy and let him go to work. If that is the play calling then I am confounded as to how Casey is an NBA head coach. But, if there had been screens set, and players moving, I would understand why Amir would end up in the corner. The point was to try and draw Garnett away from the rim to open up more of a lane...but without a screen or cuts being made...what is the point?

    I think Rudy actually made the right decision. The lane was clogged, he was getting double-teamed, and he swung the ball to the open man. We chastise him for being selfish, and now we are ripping on him for making the right decision on a poor play call. The blame in this situation doesn't go to Rudy or Amir...the blame most certainly goes on Casey.

  24. Like Nilanka liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •