X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Wiggins stock is dropping.
    AWESOME. Let it drop to around 3 or 4.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      I don't disagree with Casey's philosophies - they are sound. The problem is when guys don't follow them, Casey doesn't have the balls to sit them down. He just lets it happen over and over again. Casey's problem is not his coaching acumen, it's the people management. There's a reason why coaches like Sloan, SVG, JVG, even Smitch were/are sometimes considered a jerks to some degree. At some point you've got to discipline your players and Casey just doesn't seem to have the stomach for that, which basically undermines any attempt at establishing culture and demoralizes guys who actually try to play the right way. In that way, he is sort of like Jay Triano - a bit over his head and intimidated by these modern players.
      Please elaborate on the bolded. Just what are these systems that are sound? Specifically? Is pound the rock a system? A meaningless phrase designed to appease the casual fan. As far as I can tell, we don't run any good defensive system and don't even have an offensive system. The isolations, lack of P&Rs, poor spacing, out-of-timeout plays, poor weak side rotations, terrible PG double-teams (I could go on and on) are all examples of basic coaching that appears to be lacking. Granted players do have to run the coach's stuff, but if other teams with less talent can run "systems", why can't the Raptors? Simple answer? The coach has no idea what he's doing.
      There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

• RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
        Please elaborate on the bolded. Just what are these systems that are sound? Specifically? Is pound the rock a system? A meaningless phrase designed to appease the casual fan. As far as I can tell, we don't run any good defensive system and don't even have an offensive system. The isolations, lack of P&Rs, poor spacing, out-of-timeout plays, poor weak side rotations, terrible PG double-teams (I could go on and on) are all examples of basic coaching that appears to be lacking. Granted players do have to run the coach's stuff, but if other teams with less talent can run "systems", why can't the Raptors? Simple answer? The coach has no idea what he's doing.
        Ha. Busted. I'm definitely not going to be the one around here defending Casey. I want him gone yesterday. I am ASSUMING he's technically sound coach because other good coaches like Rick Carlisle say so. And of course, Casey talks a good game about playing the right way, culture, blah, blah, blah,... so again, I ASSUME he simply can't be inept at both the technical AND people aspects of his profession, can he?

Comment

• Raps/casey make it so hard on jv look at this tweet by Zach Lowe Took 5 Dwight post-ups in first 6:00 tonight to get one basket. One PNR with Harden, he gets an And-One. This isn't complicated. Reminds we why can't we do this with our bigs

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• If wiggins is still on the board when the Raps pick comes up make no mistake Raps are taking him and inserting him right away as our franchise leader, regardless of what NCAA season he has raptors will even take him #1 and say hes a project player.

Leiweke wants that kid and Ujiri is a good enough GM with lots of room to work with to create something around wiggins.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
              As crazy as this may sound, I don't think there's a clear cut 'better way' for the Raptors to be doing things right now. The iso ball is beyond hard on the eyes and is obviously leading this team nowhere but what are the alternatives?

Lowry can't run a pick and roll effectively, that has been determined. So do you turn over more quarterback duties to the triumvirate of Buycks, Stone and Augustin when they are clearly liabilities on the court most nights? Do you jam the ball into JV in the post when he's not consistently getting in good position and has a still developing offensive game when he gets it? Disperse more jump shots to Amir? More looks for Landry and his one good arm? Try and turn Psycho T into a back to the basket guy?

This all comes back to a lack of talent issue. Even worse, the talent they do have doesn't fit together at all.

Casey is coaching for his life. I'm not sure there's a better strategy for him than the one he's currently using.
              There's enough talent here to be able to craft a workable offense, one that's alot better than the iso crap we've been running. How many possessions have we seen with a demar or rudy iso on the right side while the other players just diddle their thumbs because they know there's no pass coming? There's been some absolutely beautiful segments that end up ugly, coming off screens or dribble hand-offs in the 19-footer range that ends in a black hole possession by Rudy or Demar. Demar's a good kid- unselfish, hardworking, competitive. If you institute a system that keeps the players moving after the primary action, and rewarding them for it, he'll run it. Don't forget last season before the Rudy trade- these guys played hard and had good chemistry. If you hold Rudy accountable to play in a more team-centric offence, the team will run it. Also, yes, you better feed JV more- that's the only way he's going to learn, and he's going to stop playing like he knows he's only going to get ten touches and better put it up whenever he does get it. And the system isn't maximizing the strengths of this roster- it's incredibly athletic, yet we only have 9.6 ppg in transition, aka 28th in the damn league.

The point is, iso ball hasn't been a good system since the heydays of AI. No team with a good system has been deal last in assists. Yes, we don't have enough talent to be elite- but we absolutely have enough talent to be solid. You're telling me we don't have as much talent as Philly? Atlanta? Boston? I don't believe it. We've got more talent than all of those teams except arguably Atlanta, this is a team that should be a lock for the eight seed at least instead of maybe making the playoffs.
              @Boymusic66

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
                Not sure why there is so much angst for Casey's coaching. Many posters on here want to tank...he's doing THAT job perfectly.
                I some how agree with this

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  If wiggins is still on the board when the Raps pick comes up make no mistake Raps are taking him and inserting him right away as our franchise leader, regardless of what NCAA season he has raptors will even take him #1 and say hes a project player.

Leiweke wants that kid and Ujiri is a good enough GM with lots of room to work with to create something around wiggins.
                  Everyone is hoping to get wiggins Im a little scared with this i mean there is no denying his talent but dont you ppl think that having raps select him will put extra presure on him to perfrom and that to right away hope he doesnt fallter with all the expectation if somwhow raps get him

Comment

• TSF wrote: View Post
                    There's enough talent here to be able to craft a workable offense, one that's alot better than the iso crap we've been running. How many possessions have we seen with a demar or rudy iso on the right side while the other players just diddle their thumbs because they know there's no pass coming? There's been some absolutely beautiful segments that end up ugly, coming off screens or dribble hand-offs in the 19-footer range that ends in a black hole possession by Rudy or Demar. Demar's a good kid- unselfish, hardworking, competitive. If you institute a system that keeps the players moving after the primary action, and rewarding them for it, he'll run it. Don't forget last season before the Rudy trade- these guys played hard and had good chemistry. If you hold Rudy accountable to play in a more team-centric offence, the team will run it. Also, yes, you better feed JV more- that's the only way he's going to learn, and he's going to stop playing like he knows he's only going to get ten touches and better put it up whenever he does get it. And the system isn't maximizing the strengths of this roster- it's incredibly athletic, yet we only have 9.6 ppg in transition, aka 28th in the damn league.

The point is, iso ball hasn't been a good system since the heydays of AI. No team with a good system has been deal last in assists. Yes, we don't have enough talent to be elite- but we absolutely have enough talent to be solid. You're telling me we don't have as much talent as Philly? Atlanta? Boston? I don't believe it. We've got more talent than all of those teams except arguably Atlanta, this is a team that should be a lock for the eight seed at least instead of maybe making the playoffs.
                    I agree with this 100%.

What good coaching does is establishing principles where you can't break the offense every single time you touch the ball. You need to establish basic 2 man game, 3 man game, actions on ball reversals, 5 player movement, counters & more counters once your 1st and 2nd options are exhausted.

Miami's first year with the Big 3 was a struggle (for their standards) because LeBron and Dwyane constantly took turns 'creating' offense. Spoelstra & company re-configured the offense over the summer. Instead of players 'creating' offense, the Heat now has a structure where they let the flow of the offense create opportunities.

That's essentially what I want for the Raptors. When they run their first action where DeMar curls to the wing, I want subsequent actions that follow that -- swing the ball -- dribble hand off -- swing the ball -- get it to the corner -- feed the post -- kick it out -- swing the ball -- open shot; something along those lines.

This is where I question Casey's creativity on offense. You have well established Gay & DeRozan as your 1 & 1a options, that's fine. However, it does not mean you let them take turns creating offense (for themselves). It's inefficient basketball. He lacks structure in his offensive approach. He does not fully involve all 5 players on offense & he does not stress the importance of ball reversals after initial action in order to get the defense moving.

It has been 3 years with Casey at the helm & our offense has never resembled a 5 man offense -- except that 5 game winning streak last season. For about 95% of his tenure, our offense has been stagnant & relied on players' abilities to make something off a one-pass action.

This is the reason why I want a coaching change soon. We need a coach who can teach our young guys how to play together on offense, establish basic offensive principles & stress the importance of ball movement & player movement. That is the only way you can consistently beat teams in this league because this one-on-five basketball clearly isn't working.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• yukhan1980 wrote: View Post
                      Everyone is hoping to get wiggins Im a little scared with this i mean there is no denying his talent but dont you ppl think that having raps select him will put extra presure on him to perfrom and that to right away hope he doesnt fallter with all the expectation if somwhow raps get him
                      If Wiggins is the real thing, the pressure won't matter.

If the pressure affects him, he's not the real thing.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Agreed but somwhow i still think that Randle will be much better for us

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Well said.

Comment

• yukhan1980 wrote: View Post
                            thats why we hold onto DeMar to be our slightly older somewhat mentor and take a ton of pressure of Wiggins, You need to guys on the wings that can create. Under better guidance JV now even more experienced by this time down low will also make things easier and hopefully a pass first guard to keep everything simple for everyone.

I mean think about it!

????/DeRozan/Wiggins/???/JV
                            ???/Ross/Fields/Amir/Tyler??

Comment

• ^thats gross

seriously when building a contending team, your top three guys need to COMPLIMENT each other.

Wiggins and Val work together because I have faith that Wiggins will be able to run the PnR, as well as play a 2-man game
                              DD and Val don't work because DD can't run the PnR and can't operate a 2 man game
                              DD and Wiggins wont be as good as possible because Wiggins and Val will need a swing man who is a spot up 3 pt shooter, and there are better option than DD for that.

DD doesn't fit on this team...so he needs to go

Comment

• WIGGINS ISNT ON OUR TEAM

Stop setting yourselves up for disappointment by pretending that he is.

I also find it hilarious that people are trying to say for sure that DD and Wiggins wouldn't be able to work together. Looks like we have a bunch of 5 star scouts here that know exactly what Wiggins projects to be at the NBA level. As well as a bunch of Nostradamus copycats who know exactly what the rest of the team is going to look like, who'll be coaching and what system we'll be running.

Comment

Working...
                                X