Will Masai fire Casey ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    every city has advantages and disadvantages though, not just us, like I mentioned yesterday, even LA and NY have had their difficulties attracting FAs
    Its worth mentioning here that you are identifying specific periods of time, without any way to qualify the details (did the team not want a player? was the team able to afford the player? Where they competing against someone else for the players same services) vs the entire existence of a franchise (eg. Toronto).

We can do this over and over again for over half the teams in the NBA. There is a very real and unequal distribution of resources that player's value, and this has existed since the time when their salaries were capped. Utah, Minn, Toronto, Milwaukee, OKC (Seattle before), and so on down the line do not exist within and equal playing field to all other markets.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
      Its worth mentioning here that you are identifying specific periods of time, without any way to qualify the details (did the team not want a player? was the team able to afford the player? Where they competing against someone else for the players same services) vs the entire existence of a franchise (eg. Toronto).

We can do this over and over again for over half the teams in the NBA. There is a very real and unequal distribution of resources that player's value, and this has existed since the time when their salaries were capped. Utah, Minn, Toronto, Milwaukee, OKC (Seattle before), and so on down the line do not exist within and equal playing field to all other markets.

We're the only fanbase that uses that excuse (and I think we have the most pathetic fanbase in the league), I don't see any of those other fanbases using that excuse.

and by the way, Dwight Howard did not want to stay with the Lakers this past summer,
      there's talk of Melo leaving the Knicks now as well

that tells me that they could be having some trouble soon.
      Last edited by peanutwoozle; Sun Nov 10, 2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• you're right..... the Knicks will have a hard time finding a free agent to go to New York... same in LA...

come on dude.

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
          you're right..... the Knicks will have a hard time finding a free agent to go to New York... same in LA...

come on dude.
          who is going to be recruiting?

Comment

The draft is not the only way to go though. For a team like us, our best option is to scout the league and find a guy to buy low on.
            That's exactly what BC did with numerous trades and free agents, swing for the fences and hope for the best, but most of them were spectacular failures. You say you don't like tanking because of the emphasis it puts on the draft (by far not the only part of a tank strategy, btw), which you call a gamble. If a top-7 pick in a loaded draft is a gamble, then what would you call building through buy-low guys? There's usually a reason guys become buy-low (ie: Gay), which I would argue is a far bigger gamble than a lottery draft pick. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

A tank strategy involves many parts:
            - unloading bad, old, overpaid, and expiring players
            - acquiring prospects (buy-low?)
            - acquiring additional draft picks (not just 2014 - diversification reduces risk)
            - accumulating trade assets (one trade could lead to subsequent trades)
            - clearing cap space (to be able to sign free agents)
            - improving their own positioning for the 2014 draft (no, tanking is not just about this)

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              That's exactly what BC did with numerous trades and free agents, swing for the fences and hope for the best, but most of them were spectacular failures. You say you don't like tanking because of the emphasis it puts on the draft (by far not the only part of a tank strategy, btw), which you call a gamble. If a top-7 pick in a loaded draft is a gamble, then what would you call building through buy-low guys? There's usually a reason guys become buy-low (ie: Gay), which I would argue is a far bigger gamble than a lottery draft pick. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

A tank strategy involves many parts:
              - unloading bad, old, overpaid, and expiring players
              - acquiring prospects (buy-low?)
              - acquiring additional draft picks (not just 2014 - diversification reduces risk)
              - accumulating trade assets (one trade could lead to subsequent trades)
              - clearing cap space (to be able to sign free agents)
              - improving their own positioning for the 2014 draft (no, tanking is not just about this)
              The BC method was throw random s**t together and expect it to work, he never once evaluated if players could play together or not. I trust Masai Ujiri to do just that, evaluate, not sign a guy just because he is a big name (Colangelo method). Buying low can work, in cases of George Hill and Thabo Sefolosha, if you evaluate. That is what it comes down to, evaluation.

Comment

The BC method was throw random s**t together and expect it to work, he never once evaluated if players could play together or not. I trust Masai Ujiri to do just that, evaluate, not sign a guy just because he is a big name (Colangelo method). Buying low can work, in cases of George Hill and Thabo Sefolosha, if you evaluate. That is what it comes down to, evaluation.
                You can't just say "... never once evaluated if players could play together or not" or that Colangelo would "...sign a guy just because he is a big name" as if those statement are true. You completely lose all credibility when you state something that you have an opinion about as if it were true. And then move on as if you have now established a factual base for further statements.

By all means bring perspectives to the discussion, and express opinions. But don't just throw shit out there. And then get into arguments with people because they don't accept your opinions as if they were based on recorded conversations or notarized and witnessed statements. It just encourages people to discount your opinions.

You have no idea what Colangelo thought, or discussions he entered into or conversations that occurred between members of the Raps management team over the last three - four years. All you know is what happened. I'm no Colangelo apologist, but he isn't evil incarnate, nor is he a stupid man, nor was he operating in a complete vacuum with no plan. His plan just didn't work out the way he anticipated. And he paid the price.

And I agree with you that Masai appears to be an upgrade. At least, you and I believe he is an upgrade. We will only know if that is true or not in a couple of years.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  You can't just say "... never once evaluated if players could play together or not" or that Colangelo would "...sign a guy just because he is a big name" as if those statement are true. You completely lose all credibility when you state something that you have an opinion about as if it were true. And then move on as if you have now established a factual base for further statements.

By all means bring perspectives to the discussion, and express opinions. But don't just throw shit out there. And then get into arguments with people because they don't accept your opinions as if they were based on recorded conversations or notarized and witnessed statements. It just encourages people to discount your opinions.

You have no idea what Colangelo thought, or discussions he entered into or conversations that occurred between members of the Raps management team over the last three - four years. All you know is what happened. I'm no Colangelo apologist, but he isn't evil incarnate, nor is he a stupid man, nor was he operating in a complete vacuum with no plan. His plan just didn't work out the way he anticipated. And he paid the price.

And I agree with you that Masai appears to be an upgrade. At least, you and I believe he is an upgrade. We will only know if that is true or not in a couple of years.
                  I'm just going by what I saw him do, and quite frankly, that's exactly what it looked like.
                  examples:
                  Turkoglu was a misevaluation - needed the ball in his hands, wasn't going to happen with Calderon here, also couldn't defend worth manure
                  Kapono was a misevaluation - good 3pt shooter coming to a team where there were no shots available
                  JO was a misevaluation - washed up and bad knees.
                  That shows me he was just throwing random s**t together and expecting it to work.

It was also BC's stupidity that allowed Miami to form their big 3, he took the one contract Miami needed to get rid of in order to make the big 3 possible (I'm talking about you, Marcus Banks).
                  Last edited by peanutwoozle; Sun Nov 10, 2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I'm just going by what I saw him do, and quite frankly, that's exactly what it looked like.
                    examples:
                    Turkoglu was a misevaluation - needed the ball in his hands, wasn't going to happen with Calderon here, also couldn't defend worth manure
                    Kapono was a misevaluation - good 3pt shooter coming to a team where there were no shots available
                    JO was a misevaluation - washed up and bad knees.
                    That shows me he was just throwing random s**t together and expecting it to work.

It was also BC's stupidity that allowed Miami to form their big 3, he took the one contract Miami needed to get rid of in order to make the big 3 possible (I'm talking about you, Marcus Banks).
                    And BC sold it to fans that getting that TPE was so critical to our future...

Comment

• Any recent updates or rumors on Dwayne Casey firing?

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        Any recent updates or rumors on Dwayne Casey firing?
                        I don't think you hear anything about toronto unless masai wants you to hear it.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I don't think you hear anything about toronto unless masai wants you to hear it.
                          Yeah, even with the Smitch firing years ago, nobody knew of it until it was official.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                            Nobody wants to play with Kobe Bryant, especially star players. The Lakers have that big problem, but they'll also be one of the only teams with lots of cap space this summer. Carmelo may go there because his wife works in LA. But otherwise they have the Kobe problem to deal with.
                            Kevin Love makes the most sense for LA. He's a UCLA guy whose play style fits with Kobe better than Melo would. New York is reportedly also targeting Love for that matter.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              When will the hammer drop?

Comment

• he needs to go and i know both tankers and non tankers agree
                                you dont want him developing Wiggins now, do you?
                                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Working...
                                X