No announcement yet.

Will Masai fire Casey ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've said it in the dozen other fire Casey threads and I'll say it again, get Casey out of here before he ruins JV
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      I don't disagree with Casey's philosophies - they are sound. The problem is when guys don't follow them, Casey doesn't have the balls to sit them down. He just lets it happen over and over again. Casey's problem is not his coaching acumen, it's the people management. There's a reason why coaches like Sloan, SVG, JVG, even Smitch were/are sometimes considered a jerks to some degree. At some point you've got to discipline your players and Casey just doesn't seem to have the stomach for that, which basically undermines any attempt at establishing culture and demoralizes guys who actually try to play the right way. In that way, he is sort of like Jay Triano - a bit over his head and intimidated by these modern players.
      Sure, but exactly how do you bench a guy like Rudy Gay and his 18 mil $ contract when the team is 1) paying him a fortune 2) is likely trying to trade him?

I'm all for holding players accountable, but there are some guys that you have to ask if management will even allow a coach to. Triano is perfect example I believe. You could see how flustered he got with Bargnani, yet who here believes that he would have been able to keep his job if he did exactly what he should have done and benched Bargnani?

Coaches are trying to get and keep jobs to.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
        Sure, but exactly how do you bench a guy like Rudy Gay and his 18 mil $ contract when the team is 1) paying him a fortune 2) is likely trying to trade him?

I'm all for holding players accountable, but there are some guys that you have to ask if management will even allow a coach to. Triano is perfect example I believe. You could see how flustered he got with Bargnani, yet who here believes that he would have been able to keep his job if he did exactly what he should have done and benched Bargnani?

Coaches are trying to get and keep jobs too.
        Well, when you compromise your good principles just to 'keep your job' then you're probably going to fail at your job and you probably don't deserve your job. Harsh sounding, I know, but professional sports is a high stakes, unforgiving, results-oriented business.

Many of the great coaches have had that watershed season where they are at odds with their best player(s), teetering on management firing them in favor of the player, but they eventually persevere, win them over and get them to play the right way or at least in a way that is successful for the team. Larry Brown/AI, SVG/Dwight & Hollins/Gay come to mind.

Comment

Well, when you compromise your good principles just to 'keep your job' then you're probably going to fail at your job and you probably don't deserve your job. Harsh sounding, I know, but professional sports is a high stakes, unforgiving, results-oriented business.

Many of the great coaches have had that watershed season where they are at odds with their best player(s), teetering on management firing them in favor of the player, but they eventually persevere, win them over and get them to play the right way or at least in a way that is successful for the team. Larry Brown/AI, SVG/Dwight & Hollins/Gay come to mind.
          ummm.. didn't all those coaches get let go or atleast weren't resigned?

Most of the great coaches had great talent and therefore were never put in that position to begin with.

To the bolded - thats just the catch 22 here isn't it? You are left with a coach that is put in a position that will result in them losing their job either way. Is that now the coaches fault or the person who put them in that position?

Comment

• As crazy as this may sound, I don't think there's a clear cut 'better way' for the Raptors to be doing things right now. The iso ball is beyond hard on the eyes and is obviously leading this team nowhere but what are the alternatives?

Lowry can't run a pick and roll effectively, that has been determined. So do you turn over more quarterback duties to the triumvirate of Buycks, Stone and Augustin when they are clearly liabilities on the court most nights? Do you jam the ball into JV in the post when he's not consistently getting in good position and has a still developing offensive game when he gets it? Disperse more jump shots to Amir? More looks for Landry and his one good arm? Try and turn Psycho T into a back to the basket guy?

This all comes back to a lack of talent issue. Even worse, the talent they do have doesn't fit together at all.

Casey is coaching for his life. I'm not sure there's a better strategy for him than the one he's currently using.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
              As crazy as this may sound, I don't think there's a clear cut 'better way' for the Raptors to be doing things right now. The iso ball is beyond hard on the eyes and is obviously leading this team nowhere but what are the alternatives?

Lowry can't run a pick and roll effectively, that has been determined. So do you turn over more quarterback duties to the triumvirate of Buycks, Stone and Augustin when they are clearly liabilities on the court most nights? Do you jam the ball into JV in the post when he's not consistently getting in good position and has a still developing offensive game when he gets it? Disperse more jump shots to Amir? More looks for Landry and his one good arm? Try and turn Psycho T into a back to the basket guy?

This all comes back to a lack of talent issue. Even worse, the talent they do have doesn't fit together at all.

Casey is coaching for his life. I'm not sure there's a better strategy for him than the one he's currently using.
              You're more right here than anything else.

*KA-BOOM*

This team blows.

Time to start accumulating assets - picks, prospects, cap space.

Trade anyone and everyone.

Comment

• Fire Dwane Casey!

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  You're more right here than anything else.

*KA-BOOM*

This team blows.

Time to start accumulating assets - picks, prospects, cap space.

Trade anyone and everyone.
                  Including JV and Ross??

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                    Including JV and Ross??
                    If you have to, you have to.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
                      ummm.. didn't all those coaches get let go or atleast weren't resigned?

Most of the great coaches had great talent and therefore were never put in that position to begin with.

To the bolded - thats just the catch 22 here isn't it? You are left with a coach that is put in a position that will result in them losing their job either way. Is that now the coaches fault or the person who put them in that position?
                      Yes, but those coaches all went through good stretches of success before they were let go and the relationships with the organization ran their natural course. Coaches like Casey and Triano barely achieve anything above 'somewhat embarassing' when it becomes obvious they need to be let go.

There are lots of coaches that would die to be put in the so-called 'bad position' that Casey is in. Just to be given an opportunity to coach an NBA team is incredibly rare. When you stick to your beliefs and get fired, then at least you tried your best, and retain some level of respect and credibility. When you compromise your coaching principles just to save your job, yet still lose, then you lose twice, which is what Casey is doing.

Comment

I don't disagree with Casey's philosophies - they are sound. The problem is when guys don't follow them, Casey doesn't have the balls to sit them down. He just lets it happen over and over again. Casey's problem is not his coaching acumen, it's the people management. There's a reason why coaches like Sloan, SVG, JVG, even Smitch were/are sometimes considered a jerks to some degree. At some point you've got to discipline your players and Casey just doesn't seem to have the stomach for that, which basically undermines any attempt at establishing culture and demoralizes guys who actually try to play the right way. In that way, he is sort of like Jay Triano - a bit over his head and intimidated by these modern players.
                        Good points.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                          As crazy as this may sound, I don't think there's a clear cut 'better way' for the Raptors to be doing things right now. The iso ball is beyond hard on the eyes and is obviously leading this team nowhere but what are the alternatives?

Then it's up to MU to make a move.

Comment

• KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
                            Why do you want Casey gone?!?! Don't you want Wiggins???
                            Wiggins stock is dropping.

Comment

• Not sure why there is so much angst for Casey's coaching. Many posters on here want to tank...he's doing THAT job perfectly.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                                Why fire him? He's our tank commander
                                People voted 82% to fire him??? He's better than a tank commander. He's convincing people that this team is trying. That is gold for the class of 2014. Keep him as long as possible. Oh, and piss off Demar too so he can be shipped out of town for picks, better players, etc.
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X