Masai has already failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masai has already failed

I do not want to start normative argument on should we rebuild or not. We are rebuilding and that is reality. And since that is our direction, it is obvious that Masai has made a huge mistake by not trading Gay to Detroit when he had a chance. He felt that he would get more, he passed on Detroit offer and now, given how badly Gay is playing, it is obvious that we will never get a better offer.

Gay is not good enough to help us move forward, but is good enough to help us will enough games to avoid having a good draft pick in the following years. Not to mention the fact that his minutes as well as touches he is getting are preventing young prospects such as Ross to develop their game.

Not to mention the fact that Masai decided to keep Casey who we all know is a bad coach. With that in mind, it is clear that so far Masai have failed.

Masai was able to receive 3 draft picks and a rotational player on a decent contract for arguably one of the worst contracts in the league. If MU moves Gay he will still be able to get a better deal than Detroit's offer of two expiring contracts. In my opinion of course.

Comment

Gay has plenty of time left before the deadline for his numbers to rise back up to career averages.

I shouldn't surprise anyone if an under-performing/desperate "playoff contender" comes offering picks and young (unproven) pieces.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        Masai was able to receive 3 draft picks and a rotational player on a decent contract for arguably one of the worst contracts in the league. If MU moves Gay he will still be able to get a better deal than Detroit's offer of two expiring contracts. In my opinion of course.
        The key is a team with enough cap space to resign him or have him pick up his option.

Charlotte is that team.

The fact Gordon for Gay works straight up is a bonus.

Comment

nilanka wrote: View Post
          gay has plenty of time left before the deadline for his numbers to rise back up to career averages.

I shouldn't surprise anyone if an under-performing/desperate "playoff contender" comes offering picks and young (unproven) pieces.
          this

Comment

5 games... It's his first season and I have no problem with him assessing what he has. Gay could also have come into the season shooting 45% and playing with a chip on his shoulder. That's what I was expecting and I think his play through the first 5 games is a blip that will normalize by the end of the year.

MU is doing a great job so far, having a GM who makes rash decisions based on very little data is what got us here to begin with.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Karl Marx. wrote: View Post
              I do not want to start normative argument on should we rebuild or not. We are rebuilding and that is reality. And since that is our direction, it is obvious that Masai has made a huge mistake by not trading Gay to Detroit when he had a chance. He felt that he would get more, he passed on Detroit offer and now, given how badly Gay is playing, it is obvious that we will never get a better offer.

Gay is not good enough to help us move forward, but is good enough to help us will enough games to avoid having a good draft pick in the following years. Not to mention the fact that his minutes as well as touches he is getting are preventing young prospects such as Ross to develop their game.

Not to mention the fact that Masai decided to keep Casey who we all know is a bad coach. With that in mind, it is clear that so far Masai have failed.
              I'm not going to say Masai has failed in any way shape or form. But I can say that the Gay to Detroit deal should have required alot more thought than it seemed to be given.

On a one for one basis, its a terrible deal. But on a relative basis could be (have been) benificial for this team.

The wait and see approach comes with its own costs and risks. We'll just have to see how that plays out.

Personally I would have taken the offseason to see if better deals were out there, then gone back to Detroit just before the season started to see if the deal was still available. But thats just me.

Its not that simple though. Gay's salary is 50% larger than Bargnani's, while also containing a player option that as stands, could really go either way. It really makes it much more complicated to deal than Bargnani's, and complicated situations will generally decrease the value of an asset.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                Its not that simple though. Gay's salary is 50% larger than Bargnani's, while also containing a player option that as stands, could really go either way. It really makes it much more complicated to deal than Bargnani's, and complicated situations will generally decrease the value of an asset.
                I was thinking about Gay's player option, and wondering what agreements could be worked out as part of a trade. For example, could Gay agree to opt-out as part of the deal, essentially turning him into a huge expiring contract? I know I've heard of this being done when players agree to opt-in to an option, but not sure if it is possible to have a verbal agreement to opt-out. That would certainly increase his value to teams that want him for a playoff run, without the $19M burden on their 2014-15 payroll.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I was thinking about Gay's player option, and wondering what agreements could be worked out as part of a trade. For example, could Gay agree to opt-out as part of the deal, essentially turning him into a huge expiring contract? I know I've heard of this being done when players agree to opt-in to an option, but not sure if it is possible to have a verbal agreement to opt-out. That would certainly increase his value to teams that want him for a playoff run, without the $19M burden on their 2014-15 payroll.
                  Really thats what probably needs to be done, one way or another. Agree to opt out, or agree to opt in... and then it would be alot easier to see who demands an expiring + rental player, or win-now for a couple years player.

But given a combination of Gay's age (fair reason to both take his 1 additional year and then sign another long term deal, or opt out now and get a guaranteed long term deal now), and the season he's having (plus the season he could have)... I don't think he'll make that decision until the year is over. But thats just my guess.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    5 games... It's his first season and I have no problem with him assessing what he has. Gay could also have come into the season shooting 45% and playing with a chip on his shoulder. That's what I was expecting and I think his play through the first 5 games is a blip that will normalize by the end of the year.

MU is doing a great job so far, having a GM who makes rash decisions based on very little data is what got us here to begin with.
                    This. Sort of.

I think most people were expecting Gay to be playing at least as well as he did last season, and most likely slightly better in terms of shooting percentage. If I were MU I would have wanted to showcase a 10+ game stretch of an improved Rudy Gay to entice other teams into giving up more. Unfortunately, Gay's shooting percentage is sabotaging this strategy, leading people to say we should have taken the ridiculous Detroit offer from the summer.

Gay is pressing big time, and he's obviously a better player than has been shown. His rebounding and defensive activity have certainly been positives. At some point his shooting is going to normalize and, if he can keep up his contributions in other areas, that's a pretty valuable player. Hopefully valuable enough for a team looking to make the playoffs to take him off our hands and help our tank.

Comment

"Masai has failed"?? Very harsh. He hasnt even gotten warmed up.

We dont know what conversations he has had with other possible suitors regarding our players. Most teams want to see what holes or improvements they need to fill/make hence a month at least of the season before considering a major move. Patience please. Detroit's offer was ----. It was a feeler at best. Raptor fans wanted Bargs to be amnestied/bought out/given away but if a gm is on his game he can always find a buyer. He can also blame Gay's woes on team/system incompatibility etc.

Comment

I can say with 90% certainty MU's shopping Rudy right now.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                          I can say with 90% certainty MU's shopping Rudy right now.
                          He's probably shopping half the team....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            He's probably shopping half the team....
                            He's probably shopping 14/15th of the team to be more accurate.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              "Masai has failed"?? Very harsh. He hasnt even gotten warmed up.

We dont know what conversations he has had with other possible suitors regarding our players. Most teams want to see what holes or improvements they need to fill/make hence a month at least of the season before considering a major move. Patience please. Detroit's offer was ----. It was a feeler at best. Raptor fans wanted Bargs to be amnestied/bought out/given away but if a gm is on his game he can always find a buyer. He can also blame Gay's woes on team/system incompatibility etc.
                              Assuming Detroit made the offer, one would assume they at least have interest.

I'd be happy getting Tony Mitchell and KCP out of them.

If Raps really want Monroe, they can make an offer in free agency with Gay off the books.

Comment

Working...
                              X