Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: 29th out of 30

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 29th out of 30

    29th out of 30 teams is where the Raptors stand in in assits per game.

    So there has been a number of different threads started recently about how bad our wings are or how bad our coach is and why we should tank. I'd like to point the spotlight towards an area I see as possibly the main problem for why we have been looking so bad.

    Kyle Lowry, here's looking at you. Kyle has been uncharactaristically passive this year, and I don't know if it's because he's been asked to or because he's in a contract year and wants to put his best foot forward or what, but it needs to stop. We need Kyle to be more of the PG he was in Houston when he would looked to score and penetrate, and most importantly keep the ball out of the hands of the wings. Now that isn't to say that they shouldn't get the ball, but what I mean is he needs to create plays for them as opposed to giving it to them and asking them to create

    Imagine a Clippers team if CP3 dribbled the ball up the floor and passed it to Griffin or Dudley or whomever and just expected them to create while he stood on the 3 point line waiting for an open shot. We need Kyle to penetrate, probe, hit the cutters, create openings and a bunch of other cool stuff that pg's do, and not always defer to our wings.

    Thoughts and stuff?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd like an offense that does exactly that - allow Lowry to dominate the ball more and use post-ups with JV much more regularly. DD and Rudy should each take several fewer shots per game and SWING THE BALL.

    But - that would require a very different offensive game plan. Rudy and DD shoot so much because that's what Casey sets up for them - high P&R's with the green light to shoot it from anywhere on the floor.

    Rudy still has an "I can be THE guy" mindset. That has to go. If he flames out with the Raptors, he'll have no choice - his next team will definitely be picking him up as a complimentary/role player. I'd like to see Casey take control of the offense and demand DD and Rudy play a role instead of dominating everything. This team would be a lot better on that end with JV, Fields, and Lowry getting more touches and having more sets catering to their strengths.

  3. #3
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    3,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This thread is a breath of fresh air. Thank you Mediumcore.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    yeah great thread

    and definitely why the team is so hard to watch
    @jerboat

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A more active and engaged Lowry couldn't hurt. He is not playing anything like he played in Houston. As you say, he basically just initiates the offense and disappears. How much of that is on him, on his teammates or the coaching staff we can't really know.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just for starters I'd like KL to run some PnRs and many with JV.

    I am concerned though that by their play....KL, Gay & DD are diminishing their value if MU is trying to move them.

  7. #7
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    3,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sadly, if Fields had better handles I'd be happier with him running our offense then Lowry.

    *drops the mic and runs*

  8. Like lilmamba_, isaacthompson, Axel liked this post
  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Lowry is doing exactly what Casey is asking him to do and it is not playing to his strengths.

    Casey neutered Lowry last year.

    I'm sure his agent is telling him you can't have any conflict this year, contract year, your reputation, etc. etc. It is like Chauncey said to him last year *paraphrased*, "This might be your last chance. Make it work."

    So Lowry has lost his edge and as a result his confidence. There is no question he is talented but not when he has had his confidence taken from him.

    How do you kill talent? Destroy its confidence.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  10. Like Joey, KazanTheMan liked this post
  11. #9
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,084
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was going to post this in another thread (http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...rom-Contending), but probably makes more sense here...

    The problem with the Raptors isn't just one position - it's several.


    PG:
    - Lowry isn't allowed to play to his strengths
    - Lowry can't facilitate an offense (he can't even run a P&R)
    - this team desperately needs a pass-first PG to make it function (miss you Jose!)
    - Lowry's defense hasn't been nearly as good as advertised, which was supposed to be his greatest asset
    --> Lowry is best served as a Ben Gordon style backup PG, where he can play to has strengths as a scorer first & distributor second

    SG:
    - DeRozan seems to be his old self (inefficient scoring, heavy reliance on long 2's, weak finishing)
    - DeRozan's defense is as awful as ever
    - game is redundant to Gay (with far less contributions elsewhere)
    --> DeRozan is best served as a Jamal Crawford style backup SG / 6th man scorer

    SF:
    - Gay's scoring efficiency is hitting all-time lows, because he has the god-complex that BC instilled in him last season
    - great rebounding, I must say
    - game is redundant to DeRozan (better all-around, but older and twice as expensive)
    --> he's the only legit starter on the Raptors' roster, but shouldn't be relied on as the #1 player

    PF:
    - Amir has been pretty good
    - not enough of a low-post threat (doesn't draw any double-teams)
    --> I still think he's best served as a 3rd big (especially important with such a young, inexperienced starting C)

    C:
    - Valanciunas will be a legit starter in the NBA, but he's still young and inexperienced
    - expect some growing pains, but let him play! (similar to how NO has let Davis develop on the court)

    Bench:
    - Fields (glue guy, off-ball play, defense), Ross (3pt shooting) and Hansborough (banger/rebounder) have been solid
    - the other 7 guys on the roster... not so much


    I know we all want our beloved Raptors to win, but this team just isn't very good. They have 1 legit starter and 1 2nd year player who will become one, yet they are capped-out and have one of the most expensive payrolls in the league!

    BLOW IT UP!

  12. Like Fully, Axel liked this post
  13. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    I'd like an offense that does exactly that - allow Lowry to dominate the ball more and use post-ups with JV much more regularly. DD and Rudy should each take several fewer shots per game and SWING THE BALL.

    But - that would require a very different offensive game plan. Rudy and DD shoot so much because that's what Casey sets up for them - high P&R's with the green light to shoot it from anywhere on the floor.

    Rudy still has an "I can be THE guy" mindset. That has to go. If he flames out with the Raptors, he'll have no choice - his next team will definitely be picking him up as a complimentary/role player. I'd like to see Casey take control of the offense and demand DD and Rudy play a role instead of dominating everything. This team would be a lot better on that end with JV, Fields, and Lowry getting more touches and having more sets catering to their strengths.
    We can speculate all we want about why Lowry is being passive, as I mentioned it could be directive handed down from management, coaching, being on best behaviour in a contract year, heck he could be miffed for not being named a co-captain and so is giving up that role of being a leader (a see if you can do it without me thing).

    But what I do know is that Chris Paul ain't gonna defer to no Blake Griffin. Nash played along side a prime Amare and Matrix, but he was the leader and conducted that offense. That is what any great PG Should do. Grab the team by the collar and lead.

  14. Like Nilanka liked this post
  15. #11
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,084
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    We can speculate all we want about why Lowry is being passive, as I mentioned it could be directive handed down from management, coaching, being on best behaviour in a contract year, heck he could be miffed for not being named a co-captain and so is giving up that role of being a leader (a see if you can do it without me thing).

    But what I do know is that Chris Paul ain't gonna defer to no Blake Griffin. Nash played along side a prime Amare and Matrix, but he was the leader and conducted that offense. That is what any great PG Should do. Grab the team by the collar and lead.
    I think that speaks volumes about how/why Lowry lost the starting spot to Calderon last season, despite Calderon's 'matador' defense. Lowry just doesn't seem capable of running the team as a pass-first PG - and that's not a knock on him, it's more a knock on the way all the players 'fit' into this roster - that's on BC (and MU until he does something to rectify the situation).

    I see lots of ill-fitting pieces in this Raptors puzzle:
    - a team needing a pass-first floor general is being run by a score-first PG
    - two highest paid players are redundant wings who both need the ball and volume shooting to be successful
    - a coach favoring veteran players overseeing a rebuild/build

    No wonder BC was fired!

  16. Like caccia liked this post
  17. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    We can speculate all we want about why Lowry is being passive, as I mentioned it could be directive handed down from management, coaching, being on best behaviour in a contract year, heck he could be miffed for not being named a co-captain and so is giving up that role of being a leader (a see if you can do it without me thing).

    But what I do know is that Chris Paul ain't gonna defer to no Blake Griffin. Nash played along side a prime Amare and Matrix, but he was the leader and conducted that offense. That is what any great PG Should do. Grab the team by the collar and lead.
    I agree - I wonder though about what Matt52 pointed out above - Lowry's had coaching conflicts already and is in serious danger of "hard to coach" being his tag - in a contract year! He does not want that. It looks like he's working hard to make his coach happy, even though it makes him miserable.

    Lowry's not a great PG (I'd rather have a distributor), but I agree he'd be a lot more effective taking on a Westbrook/Parker/Rose type of role. He's more talented than Jarret Jack, who once projected as a "maybe" starter but settled into a strong backup. Lowry's no All-Star, but he should be starting calibre.

  18. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What ever happened to player's rocking out the contract year? The Raps even fail at that
    F*ck Brooklyn

  19. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    What ever happened to player's rocking out the contract year? The Raps even fail at that
    Rudy's in a win-win situation right now.

    If he plays well, he gets paid somewhere else.

    If he continues to shit the bed for the rest of the season, he still has a cool $19 million waiting for him.


    moral of the story: TRADE HIM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

    Twitter - @thekid_it

  20. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  21. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    IMO, Lowry will be mostly ineffective if the wings continue to play the way they do. That's not on him as far as I'm concerned, but the coach(es).

  22. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the pace is a HUGE problem. Slowing it down everytime and then dumping the ball to derozan/gay is not working, so why do we continue to do it?

  23. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    the pace is a HUGE problem. Slowing it down everytime and then dumping the ball to derozan/gay is not working, so why do we continue to do it?
    Because it's easy. Doesn't require much effort, thought, or discipline.

    POUND DA ROCK!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  24. Like Joey liked this post
  25. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So Ross may get his shot to be starter if he continues to play solid in his time off the bench like he has been and DeRozan is moved for assets.

    Would Ty Lawson be a good point for this team?

  26. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Would Ty Lawson be a good point for this team?
    People keep bringing up Ty Lawson like Denver didn't give him a four-year $12m extension last year.

    Maybe this needs to be put in bold: Denver thinks Ty Lawson is the cornerstone of the Nuggets going forward and will not trade him for anything less than a superstar. MAYBE they would move him for Jonas, but not anybody else on our roster.
    Last edited by magoon; Thu Nov 7th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

  27. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Lowry's just a footsoldier, doing what the regime wants. Statistically, he is also helping the team despite what you may think. The ball players not helping the team are the highly-paid wings.
    Lowry has been steady. Not turning the ball over very much or taking bad shots. He would be a great back up PG, but we need him to create for the wings (as well as the bigs), so they don't have to. What we are seeing is a result of the wings having to create their own offense.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •