Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Hard to Watch

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Hard to Watch

    I don't know if it's just me, but watching the Raptors play is painful. They don't seem to have much cohesion and it seems to me that usually just 2 to 3 players touch the ball on each possession.

    IMO, that makes for extremely predictable offence which as the games go, just becomes more and more stagnant.

    And on top of this, Casey just doesn't seem to know how to manage a game. I'm not a fan of tanking, but honestly, after watching these first few games, I don't think Toronto has to try very hard at all to "tank".

    I know they're young, but wow, they just don't seem to play as a team. As soon as any pressure gets applied, the team just falls apart and plays ISO ball.

    I was thinking of buying tickets to see one of the supposedly "exciting" teams which the Raptors have been referred to, but really, I just don't see it. I hope this is just them not gelling yet, but my gut tells me this is how it's going to be this year.

    End o' rant.
    Walking like I'm already there.

  2. Like Superjudge liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They look like they don't know how to play fundamental basketball.

  4. Like Superjudge liked this post
  5. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have mentioned this before, as a guy who prefers a defense-first approach, I have been impressed that they have been able to hold their opponents below 100 (with the exception of 2 games), so that to me is fun to watch. To me, the only one that has to gtfo (besides Casey) is DeMar, flame me if you want, but his defense is terrible. I'd be much more content with Ross at this point.

  6. Like OldSkoolCool, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  7. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    I have mentioned this before, as a guy who prefers a defense-first approach, I have been impressed that they have been able to hold their opponents below 100 (with the exception of 2 games), so that to me is fun to watch. To me, the only one that has to gtfo (besides Casey) is DeMar, flame me if you want, but his defense is terrible. I'd be much more content with Ross at this point.
    I think it's obvious, change needs to come. I think though that DeMar is part of the problem because he has the ball too much. I think Lowry needs to score more. That's how we all fell in love with him in the first place. He as lighting it up for the Rockets.

    Let Lowry score and let Jonas and Ross play through their growing pains. It's not like Toronto is winning with them on the bench. They lost to the Bobcats!
    Walking like I'm already there.

  8. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  9. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter Shrub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    I'd be much more content with Ross at this point.
    Yeah....
    Content isn't the word I would use, but yeah.

    They are both complimentary pieces, but I think DeRozan is just tainted by years of garbage Raptorball.
    He shouldn't be a ball-stopper, and I think he's been conditioned to do more than he should.

    I think I would rather just have Ross playing good D and sticking his shots in the flow.
    As long as we don't do that stupid thing we have a history of doing (asking good players to do too much and turning them into bad players), I think I've seen enough to be convinced he can do both admirably.

  10. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    has anyone considered bringing demar off the bench????

  11. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  12. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he would dominate the majority of teams second units. He likes to have the ball in his hands so it would work out well since hes a big iso guy

  13. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shrub wrote: View Post
    Yeah....
    I think I would rather just have Ross playing good D and sticking his shots in the flow.
    As long as we don't do that stupid thing we have a history of doing (asking good players to do too much and turning them into bad players), I think I've seen enough to be convinced he can do both admirably.
    The only other solution I see is to massively shorten the rotation. I think Ross, Fields and Psycho T + one PG (sparingly) should be the only ones off the bench, and there should never be more than 2 bench players on the court at the same time. The starters will get tired, but hey, the team's losing, these guys are young, let them play.

    And Jonas should not be benched in favour of small ball. Hibbert doesn't get benched, so if Toronto wants Big Val to reach his potential, they have to let other teams adapt to him, not the other way around.

    I'm really not a fan of Casey's small ball lineups.
    Walking like I'm already there.

  14. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    has anyone considered bringing demar off the bench????
    This idea was bounced around a lot during the summer here.. I personally like the idea as well.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  15. Like Ambidextrious liked this post
  16. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    This idea was bounced around a lot during the summer here.. I personally like the idea as well.
    I think this is a wonderful idea along with being logical. However, how would that work in reality? This guy's been starting forever, no one on the bench is really considered "better" than him, so I think mentally, it would be hard for him to swallow and might end up having a severely negative effect on his performance.

    I know Amir doesn't care about starting or coming off the bench, but I'm not so sure about DeMar.
    Walking like I'm already there.

  17. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    I think this is a wonderful idea along with being logical. However, how would that work in reality? This guy's been starting forever, no one on the bench is really considered "better" than him, so I think mentally, it would be hard for him to swallow and might end up having a severely negative effect on his performance.

    I know Amir doesn't care about starting or coming off the bench, but I'm not so sure about DeMar.
    These guys are all supposedly team first, and I would think that's the case with a guy like DeMar.

    If anything, the game should be easier for him facing guys on the second unit of other teams.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  18. Like Ambidextrious liked this post
  19. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    These guys are all supposedly team first, and I would think that's the case with a guy like DeMar.

    If anything, the game should be easier for him facing guys on the second unit of other teams.
    I hope you're right and I hope that it's something that's being discussed. Sadly, I don't see this happening, but my fingers are crossed.
    Walking like I'm already there.

  20. Like Ambidextrious liked this post
  21. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    I hope you're right and I hope that it's something that's being discussed. Sadly, I don't see this happening, but my fingers are crossed.
    With a guy like Casey at the head, it won't happen lol. Just a pipe dream.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  22. Like Ambidextrious liked this post
  23. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know well most likely never see demar coming off the bench consistently, I could imagine DC becoming curious enough to try shuffling the lineup to spice things up at one point.

  24. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I personally think DeMar needs to get off this team, he is having a Frank Thomas effect on this team.

  25. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    I know well most likely never see demar coming off the bench consistently, I could imagine DC becoming curious enough to try shuffling the lineup to spice things up at one point.
    you can almost guarantee none of Lowry, Demar or Gay would come off the bench (aside from injury or doing something seriousy stupid off court).

    A team that is either rebuilding, tanking, or evaluating or whatever else one thinks its doing, is not going to bench experienced core players (whether its core to the team's future or key peice in a trade). The only way thats happening is if there is a stud player that is just to valuable to ignore, to replace them.... and that guy does not exist on this team.

  26. Like Fully, Bendit liked this post
  27. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Luckily, it's still early. but 2-4 can quickly become 2-5, 2-6...at which point, does Masai go into full tank mode?

    ...I say this, because I think only at that point will we finally see some change. I'm not a fan of tanking, but this offence is awful to watch, it's burning my rods and cones.
    Last edited by 10 000 Hours; Sat Nov 9th, 2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: adding some thoughts.
    Walking like I'm already there.

  28. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    Luckily, it's still early. but 2-4 can quickly become 2-5, 2-6...at which point, does Masai go into full tank mode?

    ...I say this, because I think only at that point will we finally see some change. I'm not a fan of tanking, but this offence is awful to watch, it's burning my rods and cones.
    I think if I remember hearing correctly, 6 weeks to 2 months was what they said during the broadcast.

    and by the way, it can easily become 3-4, and then 4-4 too.


    and people also bring up the loss to the Bobcats, well, the Knicks lost to them too, does that mean they're going to go into full tank mode?

  29. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    I think if I remember hearing correctly, 6 weeks to 2 months was what they said during the broadcast.

    and by the way, it can easily become 3-4, and then 4-4 too.


    and people also bring up the loss to the Bobcats, well, the Knicks lost to them too, does that mean they're going to go into full tank mode?
    We had a chance to win, but this chance was ruined by Dwayne Casey.

    Knicks... they just lost. stuff happens.

  30. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    you can almost guarantee none of Lowry, Demar or Gay would come off the bench (aside from injury or doing something seriousy stupid off court).

    A team that is either rebuilding, tanking, or evaluating or whatever else one thinks its doing, is not going to bench experienced core players (whether its core to the team's future or key peice in a trade). The only way thats happening is if there is a stud player that is just to valuable to ignore, to replace them.... and that guy does not exist on this team.
    I don't think you can guarantee that any player will or will not start. That is completely up to the coaches discretion. Also, I know that Kyle Lowry came off the bench for Calderon after he got injured, but Calderon was still able to maintain the starting role. That shows how a situation like that can be a positive. Giving others a chance might make your team better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •