• Time
  • Show
Clear All

One word to describe this team right now - selfish
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      One word to describe this team right now - selfish
      So true. The ball just doesn't move. I'm tired of seeing DeMar back down his man, then do a turnaround fadeaway 16 foot jumper. I'd rather see the ball move inside to Jonas and watch him miss or get blocked, because eventually, with each additional possession, Jonas will start making his shots, and that's what's needed.

Toronto's not winning a playoff series this year, so why not let Jonas get all the touches in the world?
      Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
        So true. The ball just doesn't move. I'm tired of seeing DeMar back down his man, then do a turnaround fadeaway 16 foot jumper. I'd rather see the ball move inside to Jonas and watch him miss or get blocked, because eventually, with each additional possession, Jonas will start making his shots, and that's what's needed.

Toronto's not winning a playoff series this year, so why not let Jonas get all the touches in the world?
        Which is why I think DeMar is becoming our newest cancer.

Comment

Loved what i saw from DeMar back in the preseaon. You know, posting up, taking high % shots. But now he's back taking Kobe Bryant fadeaway shot. I know he can make it, but its an awfully tough shot to make(Kobe makes it look easy). I really question DeMar's basketball IQ sometimes.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
            I would agree if our opponents had broken 100 every night, that has only happened twice, so to me, that means the defense is doing well. I don't expect them to hold their opponents below 80 (even 90 is a stretch), but the fact that they have held their opponents below 100 4 out of 6 games to me looks like a good sign that they're doing something right.
            There is no defense in Toronto.

They are allowing the 5th worst opponent fg% in the league at 47.3%.

The points allowed is an illusion. Through 6 games the Raptors pace is 30th out of 30. Their opponents have been:

Boston: 22nd
            Atlanta: 8th
            Charlotte: 29th
            Miami: 21st
            Indiana: 23rd
            Milwaukee: 28th

Those are some slow games with fewer possessions masking the reality behind the opponents PPG.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              There is no defense in Toronto.

They are allowing the 5th worst opponent fg% in the league at 47.3%.

The points allowed is an illusion. Through 6 games the Raptors pace is 30th out of 30. Their opponents have been:

Boston: 22nd
              Atlanta: 8th
              Charlotte: 29th
              Miami: 21st
              Indiana: 23rd
              Milwaukee: 28th

Those are some slow games with fewer possessions masking the reality behind the opponents PPG.
              We'll see about that, but I do like the defensive effort I am seeing this year.

and btw, we're 7th (or close to it) in rebounding, I like teams that are active on the glass.
              Last edited by peanutwoozle; Sat Nov 9, 2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                Loved what i saw from DeMar back in the preseaon. You know, posting up, taking high % shots. But now he's back taking Kobe Bryant fadeaway shot. I know he can make it, but its an awfully tough shot to make(Kobe makes it look easy). I really question DeMar's basketball IQ sometimes.
                face it, he's a cancer.

Comment

We'll see about that, but I do like the defensive effort I am seeing this year.

and btw, we're 7th (or close to it) in rebounding, I like teams that are active on the glass.
                  Do you know what pace is?

Pace
                  Pace Factor (available since the 1973-74 season in the NBA); the formula is 48 * ((Tm Poss + Opp Poss) / (2 * (Tm MP / 5))).

Pace factor is an estimate of the number of possessions per 48 minutes by a team.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html
                  5 of the 6 Raptor opponents have been in the bottom 1/3 in the NBA for pace and the Raptors themselves play at the slowest pace in the league. That means fewer possessions and subsequently fewer scoring opportunities and subsequently fewer points scored by everyone.

A better indication of defense would be Defensive Rating (points scored by opposition per 100 possessions). Raptors are 18th.

Comment

Do you know what pace is?

5 of the 6 Raptor opponents have been in the bottom 1/3 in the NBA for pace and the Raptors themselves play at the slowest pace in the league. That means fewer possessions and subsequently fewer scoring opportunities and subsequently fewer points scored by everyone.

A better indication of defense would be Defensive Rating (points scored by opposition per 100 possessions). Raptors are 18th.
                    How about the rebounding 2nd in the league in DREB% 79.0 right behind San Antonio @ 80.3.

and we have been outrebounding every game (I think) this year

Comment

How about the rebounding 2nd in the league in DREB% 79.0 right behind San Antonio @ 80.3.

and we have been outrebounding every game (I think) this year
                      You are right. Toronto is amazing.

Comment

the team is infuriating to watch

lowry/DD/gay are all ball stoppers who don't let the game come to them. and of course one of the dudes is good for 20+ points that night but the other two wallow around taking bad shots FOR SOME STRANGE REASON because who knew having two wings with the exact same game and don't defend was going to end badly. and don't get me started on Lowry. Mister play hard for 2 quarters of every game but consistently not give a shit in the fourth when he could be really useful.

blow it up. blow it all up.

keep jv, ross and acy and let Nurse see what he can do. the fact nurse always had a winning team in the nbadl despite playing with lol talent and the good players constantly being yanked around by teams has me intrigued. bring in a guy like Allan Houston to coach up Ross and the rest of the wings. play JV solid, consistent minutes regardless of how he's playing BECAUSE WHO KNOWS MAYBE ITS A GOOD IDEA TO SEE WHAT YOUR FRANCHISE PLAYER CAN DO
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

You are right. Toronto is amazing.

I just know I haven't seen that in years, and I like it when players attack the glass.

Comment

I just know I haven't seen that in years, and I like it when players attack the glass.
                            You missed the sarcasm.

The rebounding is great but, again, they are playing at a slower pace and the other team is hitting 47.3% of their shots. They are NOT a good defensive team. Defensive rating is best way to judge in my opinion. By that they are 18th in the league..

Comment

face it, he's a cancer.
                              Not sure about that. DeRozan's main problem is shot selection. He needs to be smart that's all.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

face it, he's a cancer.
                                I think you're throwing the term cancer around way too casually.
                                He's flawed and redundant with the rest of the roster make up, but certainly not a player that you'd refer to as a cancer.

Comment

Working...
                                X