Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: A Few Positives :)

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default A Few Positives :)

    1. Demar Derozan has improved his 3 point shot and looks like a better offensive player this year. It's still not great but at least his is making over 30% of his 3's now. He also looks a lot more comfortable taking the shot which is nice to see.

    2. Terrance Ross is making 43.8% of his 3's this year. That's absolutely fantastic, and if he can start playing some better D he is going to start to look like the 3 and D player we were hoping for on draft night.

    3. While Rudy Gay's offensive game has been truly bad so far, it is nice to see him getting on the glass so much. Once his shot comes back (which it will) it will be interesting to se if he keeps attacking the glass.

    4. Landry Fields looks 100% better than last year and may be the best bench player we have.

    5. Jonas Valanciuas, despite not getting the minutes he may dserve, is looking like a much better player this season. Both his scoring and rebounding are up and I would love to see us stating to run a few more plays for him in the low post.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  2. Like lilmamba_ liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Another positive: In the limited minutes we've seen Novak, he's lived up to his reputation as a sharpshooter. When he's healthy, he should be a useful tool to help spread the floor.

    EDIT: But then again, whose minutes does he take?
    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Nov 7th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  4. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Another: Hansbrough has brought exactly what we needed from him.

  5. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,566
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wait.....you guys know we're raptors fans, right? No room for that positive stuff here.

  6. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Don't forget Amir... he is killing it again for the Raptors. .700 TS%! 137 OWS! 19.7 PER (leading the team)!

  7. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Don't forget Amir... he is killing it again for the Raptors. .700 TS%! 137 OWS! 19.7 PER (leading the team)!
    I thought JV was leading. Sorry!

    That means bigs are leading this team if we filter by PER.

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Don't forget Amir... he is killing it again for the Raptors. .700 TS%! 137 OWS! 19.7 PER (leading the team)!
    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    I thought JV was leading. Sorry!

    That means bigs are leading this team if we filter by PER.
    All the more reason to bench them in the 4th quarter of tight games. We need to match up with Jeffery Taylor!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  9. #8
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Another positive: In the limited minutes we've seen Novak, he's lived up to his reputation as a sharpshooter. When he's healthy, he should be a useful tool to help spread the floor.

    EDIT: But then again, whose minutes does he take?
    *cough* trade bait *cough*

  10. Like ceez liked this post
  11. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie Withnail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    1. Demar Derozan has improved his 3 point shot and looks like a better offensive player this year. It's still not great but at least his is making over 30% of his 3's now. He also looks a lot more comfortable taking the shot which is nice to see.

    2. Terrance Ross is making 43.8% of his 3's this year. That's absolutely fantastic, and if he can start playing some better D he is going to start to look like the 3 and D player we were hoping for on draft night.

    3. While Rudy Gay's offensive game has been truly bad so far, it is nice to see him getting on the glass so much. Once his shot comes back (which it will) it will be interesting to se if he keeps attacking the glass.

    4. Landry Fields looks 100% better than last year and may be the best bench player we have.

    5. Jonas Valanciuas, despite not getting the minutes he may dserve, is looking like a much better player this season. Both his scoring and rebounding are up and I would love to see us stating to run a few more plays for him in the low post.
    1. I don't care how hard he works. It doesn't look like Demar is ever going to be an efficient shooter. He's soft on defence, his handles are weak and he doesn't take it to the rim enough and leverage his athleticism.

    2. Agreed on the shooting. I think he's already an above average 1-on-1 perimeter defender. Needs to stop passing it to the other team when he's pressured on offense though.

    3. So certain his shot will come back? From what? 32% up to a still mediocre 40%?? Sorry, I just don't see this guy being a part of a successful system (once we get a decent coach). Much like Derozan, a high usage, inefficient player on offence. Memphis realized this, we need to as well.

    4. Totally agree. His high b-ball IQ has been on display so far this year. Hope we keep him around as an all-round 2nd unit, glue-guy.

    5. Totally agree as well. He's our best player with limited minutes. Why we're not playing him more is a real mystery. The small-ball excuse is BS.
    Last edited by Withnail; Thu Nov 7th, 2013 at 11:07 AM.

  12. Like Puffer, Bendit, mcHAPPY, Axel, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  13. #10
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Withnail wrote: View Post
    1. I don't care how hard he works. It doesn't look like Demar is ever going to be an efficient shooter. He's soft on defence, his handles are weak and he doesn't take it to the rim enough and leverage his athleticism.

    2. Agreed on the shooting. I think he's already an above average 1-on-1 perimeter defender. Needs to stop passing it to the other team when he's pressured on offense though.

    3. So certain his shot will come back? From what? 32% up to a still mediocre 40%?? Sorry, I just don't see this guy being a part of a successful system (once we get a decent coach). Much like Derozan, a high usage, inefficient player on offence. Memphis realized this, we need to as well.

    4. Totally agree. His high b-ball IQ has been on display so far this year. Hope we keep him around as an all-round 2nd unit, glue-guy.

    5. Totally agree as well. He's our best player with limited minutes. Why we're not playing him more is a real mystery. The small-ball excuse is BS.
    Welcome to RR! Great first post

  14. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  15. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    1. Demar Derozan has improved his 3 point shot and looks like a better offensive player this year. It's still not great but at least his is making over 30% of his 3's now. He also looks a lot more comfortable taking the shot which is nice to see.
    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    2. Terrance Ross is making 43.8% of his 3's this year. That's absolutely fantastic, and if he can start playing some better D he is going to start to look like the 3 and D player we were hoping for on draft night.

    3. While Rudy Gay's offensive game has been truly bad so far, it is nice to see him getting on the glass so much. Once his shot comes back (which it will) it will be interesting to se if he keeps attacking the glass.

    4. Landry Fields looks 100% better than last year and may be the best bench player we have.

    5. Jonas Valanciuas, despite not getting the minutes he may dserve, is looking like a much better player this season. Both his scoring and rebounding are up and I would love to see us stating to run a few more plays for him in the low post.
    No matter how good DeRozan becomes on Offence, the kid cannot defend to save his life. He's been constantly keeping his man open and it's killed us. Whether it's Korver or Henderson etc.. The kid just leaves them open. How on earth do you let Henderson light us up the way he did last night. I was so embarrassed for the team. Landry had to come in halfway through the first just to guard him. I've had love for DeRozan since day one and bought his jersey after he was drafted, but he's gotta show a desire to play defence or it's time for him to go.

    Edit** I tried to bold the derozan comment but it didn't work. (i'm only commenting on your first point)
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

  16. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    [B]

    No matter how good DeRozan becomes on Offence, the kid cannot defend to save his life. He's been constantly keeping his man open and it's killed us. Whether it's Korver or Henderson etc.. The kid just leaves them open. How on earth do you let Henderson light us up the way he did last night. I was so embarrassed for the team. Landry had to come in halfway through the first just to guard him. I've had love for DeRozan since day one and bought his jersey after he was drafted, but he's gotta show a desire to play defence or it's time for him to go.

    Edit** I tried to bold the derozan comment but it didn't work. (i'm only commenting on your first point)
    The one way DeMar would continue to be useful would be if he played alongside a great wing stopper, like Toney Douglas, Sefalosha, or Deng. Then you could hide DD on the defensive end by matching him up with the poorer player.

    But agreed - DeMar's got a great attitude and work ethic, but he needs to improve ANY other aspect of his game - passing, defense, rebounding, 3-pt shot, whatever. It would help the team so much.

  17. #13
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    [B]

    No matter how good DeRozan becomes on Offence, the kid cannot defend to save his life. He's been constantly keeping his man open and it's killed us. Whether it's Korver or Henderson etc.. The kid just leaves them open. How on earth do you let Henderson light us up the way he did last night. I was so embarrassed for the team. Landry had to come in halfway through the first just to guard him. I've had love for DeRozan since day one and bought his jersey after he was drafted, but he's gotta show a desire to play defence or it's time for him to go.

    Edit** I tried to bold the derozan comment but it didn't work. (i'm only commenting on your first point)
    DD is soft. It is confirmed.

    He consistently shies away from contact or inconsistently takes it strong - your choice on how you frame it.

    He does not fight on defense; goes under screens, doesn't bump anyone; watches.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  18. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    DD is soft. It is confirmed.

    He consistently shies away from contact or inconsistently takes it strong - your choice on how you frame it.

    He does not fight on defense; goes under screens, doesn't bump anyone; watches.
    Just wanna trade him and Gay. Start Ross/Novak lol. Light the opposition up with three's
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

  19. Like Axel liked this post
  20. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    Just wanna trade him and Gay. Start Ross/Novak lol. Light the opposition up with three's
    Trade Lowry and start Fields at the point too.

    Fields, Ross, Novak, Amir, JV with Stone and Hansbrough first off the bench. For the loss (which is actually a win)!!

  21. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Random question. Anybody fond of Shumpert?
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

  22. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    Random question. Anybody fond of Shumpert?
    I like him as a defensive off guard to compliment either Rudy or DeMar. He also shot 40% from beyond the arc last year.

    But we fleeced the Knicks with the Bargnani deal already. Not sure if they're up for another flogging
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  23. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    Random question. Anybody fond of Shumpert?
    Are we still talking about basketball?

    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

  24. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
  25. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie Withnail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Welcome to RR! Great first post
    Thanks!

  26. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I like him as a defensive off guard to compliment either Rudy or DeMar. He also shot 40% from beyond the arc last year.

    But we fleeced the Knicks with the Bargnani deal already. Not sure if they're up for another flogging
    Honestly, I'd trade lowry for him and just start fields as our PG. Then try to trade Derozan for PG or picks.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •