Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Teams that might have an interest in Gay?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that Gay is a prime target to trade because of his contract, but I see Derozan as being someone who we can probably get more value for...

The reason is that Derozan will be traded based on being a 2 guard with potential who is averaging close to 20 ppg. His contract is not great, but it's not bad either when you compare it to the rest of the 2 guards in the league.

At the end of the day, Gay is MUCH BETTER and has already proven that he can be useful on a playoff team. Derozan would be no more than a role player on any other team

What I'm saying is...trade them both...but if I had to pick, I would choose Gay in a heartbeat

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this earlier in the thread but I think Houston would be a good partner for a Gay deal. Something like Gay+Novak for Lin+Asik

Then move Lowry to a contender for a future pick.

Asik/Howard does not work. Beverley/Harden run the point anyway. They get another scorer at SF that could expire freeing up some cap space early or at worst would expire when Lin/Asik expire anyway. Novak would be that deadly 3 point threat that works with Howard in the paint.

Asik would hamper JV's development though so I'd prefer to flip him to another team. Perhaps a 3 way that includes Lowry?
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ms7wwsf

Milwaukee getting Lowry/Asik (Asik to replace Sanders while he's out)
    Toronto getting Lin/Butler/Ridnour+picks
    Houston getting Gay/Novak

Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Fun and true: I visited a couple Grizz forums and they're floating the idea of Steve Novak for Ed Davis.

I want to use mind-rays to make that trade happen RIGHT NOW.
    Really thought Novak would have a bigger role. Hasn't happened for some reason.

4. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Bad back hasn't helped.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Hasn't he been dealing with back issues since opening day?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

7. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I saw this earlier in the thread but I think Houston would be a good partner for a Gay deal. Something like Gay+Novak for Lin+Asik

Then move Lowry to a contender for a future pick.

Asik/Howard does not work. Beverley/Harden run the point anyway. They get another scorer at SF that could expire freeing up some cap space early or at worst would expire when Lin/Asik expire anyway. Novak would be that deadly 3 point threat that works with Howard in the paint.

Asik would hamper JV's development though so I'd prefer to flip him to another team. Perhaps a 3 way that includes Lowry?
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ms7wwsf

Milwaukee getting Lowry/Asik (Asik to replace Sanders while he's out)
    Toronto getting Lin/Butler/Ridnour+picks
    Houston getting Gay/Novak
    I like the idea of this 3 team deal. I was thinking Houston makes sense in some ways.

Minor changes to the deal that I would prefer:

-Toronto gets Lin/Butler/....and instead of Ridnour, get Ekpe Udoh from Milwaukee. Think the Raps need a big to backup Jonas more than they need Ridnour.

-For Houston's end, not sure they want Novak that much. I mean, I'm sure they'd like a shooter added to the roster, but I don't see their preference being for a forward, given they would have Gay and Parsons, as well as Motiejunas and Jones to develop. If they still want a shooter, why not send them Ridnour, especially if they're giving up Lin? It means that Houston would have to send another piece out, but it could be any spare part, like Greg Smith or Aaron Brooks.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

so sad that I have yet to see Novak do a "discount Double check" belt after a 3 wearing Toronto uniform....

10. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bennett keeps playing terrible in Cleveland they may decide to cut their losses and make him available.

Bennett, Gee, and Clark for Gay works.

Cleveland doesn't give up any player that gets minutes except Gee, and Gay will eat up all of Gee's minutes and then some. They also don't have to give up any draft picks. I'm fairly certain Gay's presence could push them over the hump and get them into the playoffs, which is clearly their goal this year ($12+M to Bynum!).

Toronto gets back a young Canadian player with tons of potential, and gets significantly worse to aid in the tank job. Basically it's trading Gay for a #1 pick and seems exactly like the clever kind of move Masai could pull.

12. Like Fully, NoPropsneeded liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Semi-related to the topic at hand, I think Milwaukee is a good suitor for Lowry. Knight isn't ready to handle full on starting duty, and Lowry would be a huge upgrade. They don't owe any of their future picks, and have a plethora of second round picks (including our 2014 2nd rounder).

Something like Lowry for Udoh, our 2014 2nd round pick, and Phoenix's 2015 2nd round pick, both of which should be very early 2nd round draft picks.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Detroit: Read today that Josh Smith was benched for the second half in last night's game against GSW with 2 points.

Looks like the Raps will have opportunities as the season progresses. All that is needed is that Gay cooperate some by being a teensy bit more efficient.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    If Bennett keeps playing terrible in Cleveland they may decide to cut their losses and make him available.

Bennett, Gee, and Clark for Gay works.

Cleveland doesn't give up any player that gets minutes except Gee, and Gay will eat up all of Gee's minutes and then some. They also don't have to give up any draft picks. I'm fairly certain Gay's presence could push them over the hump and get them into the playoffs, which is clearly their goal this year ($12+M to Bynum!).

Toronto gets back a young Canadian player with tons of potential, and gets significantly worse to aid in the tank job. Basically it's trading Gay for a #1 pick and seems exactly like the clever kind of move Masai could pull.
    That dollars need to add up to $12.88M. Off by about $60K.

Between $9.9-19.9M salaries only be separated by 150% +$100k or $5M for teams over cap.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Forget Bennett, get me Tristan Thompson
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

Between $9.9-19.9M salaries only be separated by 150% +$100k or $5M for teams over cap.
    You are correct, I knew it was close and didn't bother to add it all the way up (Clark is currently blocked in trade checker so I was just eyeballing it). Guess they'd need to throw in Dellavdeova too. Same reasoning for both teams still holds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Forget Bennett, get me Tristan Thompson
    I don't see them giving up on Thompson, especially not for Gay. Trading Thompson for Gay is probably going to pull them even further out of playoff contention so it doesn't make sense on their end.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought on Charlotte:

I don't think they are a joke anymore. There is a very realistic possibility they finish 9th or 10th in the east this year.

In a situation like that, they lose their pick to Chicago with a high lottery pick.

If they are going to lose their pick, I would think they would do everything they can to at least make it in the 15-17 range.

On Detroit:

Their lineup of Smith/Monroe/Drummond is failing in the very way few thought it would: on defense.

With Charlotte holding their pick top 8 protected, they might be very well inclined with the same motivations as Charlotte: give up a 15-17 pick versus a 9-11 pick.

Patience is going to be key - which is not something I should preach I know

As the games get played and the standings evolve, teams are going to be making decisions how they want to roll this year. I still believe Charlotte, Detroit, and Cleveland are going to be all in on making the playoffs.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're waiting until December 15 so Cleveland can free up agents, Andrew Bynum - who is simply a shell of his former self - makes far more sense than Clark/Gee. Bynum+Bennett works just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    If you're waiting until December 15 so Cleveland can free up agents, Andrew Bynum - who is simply a shell of his former self - makes far more sense than Clark/Gee. Bynum+Bennett works just fine.
    But Bynum as a shell is still better than most bigs in the league, I think. I can't see Cleveland making the commitment. Once that contract is guaranteed I see Bynum going to the first bowling alley he finds.

To be clear though, I would absolutely positively 100% love to get that contract from Cleveland about 3 weeks prior January 7th.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to point out that the last bubble team that was hoping Gay was the missing piece to push them in the playoffs was.............The raptors. Look how well that turned out. I don't think other GM's forgot a few months later.

We gave up a 2nd round pick, Ed Davis, and a point guard the GM announced eight months earlier he was going to trade by the deadline. Why is it that the majority of trade proposals think we'll get a promising prospect+1st round pick+ veterans to make the money work ? i mean what is this based on ? his All-star/All-NBA/League leading something ? is it his playoff experience of 1 series ? or are we still using the potential to become ......... 8 years into the league ?

I get it, Masai is good, but to pull off some of the trades people expect, i think he might just be waiting for another GM to have a brain fart like the knicks did.

23. Like OldSkoolCool, Fully liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    I would just like to point out that the last bubble team that was hoping Gay was the missing piece to push them in the playoffs was.............The raptors. Look how well that turned out. I don't think other GM's forgot a few months later.

We gave up a 2nd round pick, Ed Davis, and a point guard the GM announced eight months earlier he was going to trade by the deadline. Why is it that the majority of trade proposals think we'll get a promising prospect+1st round pick+ veterans to make the money work ? i mean what is this based on ? his All-star/All-NBA/League leading something ? is it his playoff experience of 1 series ? or are we still using the potential to become ......... 8 years into the league ?

I get it, Masai is good, but to pull off some of the trades people expect, i think he might just be waiting for another GM to have a brain fart like the knicks did.
    Memphis wasn't taking back big salary, they were limited.

I think teams who might have interest in gay (Cleveland Charlotte Detroit) have better rosters than raps did last year.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Memphis wasn't taking back big salary, they were limited.

I think teams who might have interest in gay (Cleveland Charlotte Detroit) have better rosters than raps did last year.
    I understand Memphis wasn't taking back any salary ? but are we ? taking expirings is not taking back salary, we'd need to take a 3 year contract to make advantageous for the other team otherwise its either a wash or they are doing us the favor. (You can't force Rudy Gay to opt in or out before june 30th, especially to a team not of his choosing, that's the point of player option its HIS choice not masai not fans)

The main question remains, How is Rudy Gay suppose to help those teams ? by stoppping the ball and learning their system on the fly ? Last year our excuse was that rudy didn't get a full training camp, but if he goes to another team he won't need it to help them ?

That's my problem with those trade talks, its like we're not only trading to another team, we're trading to another universe, where the same laws of physics and logic don't apply to the other team. I've actually seen posts starting with Derozan & Gay need to go because they can't do X Y Z, and later in the same post saying another team would do this trade because they are good at X Y Z.

26. Like Fully liked this post

Thread Information