Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank: reservoir, lake, or pond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tank: reservoir, lake, or pond

From Gujarati tānkh artificial lake, but influenced also by Portuguese tanque, from estanque pond, from estancar to dam up,

1610s, "pool or lake for irrigation or drinking water," a word originally brought by the Portuguese from India, ultimately from Gujarati tankh "cistern, underground reservoir for water," Marathi tanken, or tanka "reservoir of water, tank." Perhaps from Skt. tadaga-m "pond, lake pool," and reinforced

Boxing slang gave us "take a dive" which lead to Tank, Tanking, i.e. to dive into the pool, or "Tank" as it was called.

This usage is unrelated to all your armored vehicle avatars. Please adjust them accordingly!

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Like ceez, KazanTheMan, LBF, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

T(h)anks for the education

5. Like Mack North, Nilanka, LBF, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A key component of the Raptors "tanking" strategy, as favored by most pro-tankers, is the blowing-up of the team's current core. It is that roster explosion or implosion (depending on your perspective) that will be the catalyst for "tanking" for the rest of this season, in the truest sense of the phrase. The team - TL, MU, DC, players - entered this season with the goal of competing; blowing-up the core and the resultant tanking will [hopefully] come about as a result of the team's continued on-court failing with the current capped-out core.

Fish tanks and dives don't include the pre-tanking blowing-up, with the expected Raptors' tank job requires. Hence, the double-meaning TANK!

Post Thanks / Like

is this thread supposed to be taken seriously?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Are any?
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Are any?
    None of mine are, that much I can tell you.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

10. Like Axel liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't tank so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    I don't tank so.

13. Like Masai Ujiri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    From Gujarati tānkh artificial lake, but influenced also by Portuguese tanque, from estanque pond, from estancar to dam up,

1610s, "pool or lake for irrigation or drinking water," a word originally brought by the Portuguese from India, ultimately from Gujarati tankh "cistern, underground reservoir for water," Marathi tanken, or tanka "reservoir of water, tank." Perhaps from Skt. tadaga-m "pond, lake pool," and reinforced

Boxing slang gave us "take a dive" which lead to Tank, Tanking, i.e. to dive into the pool, or "Tank" as it was called.

This usage is unrelated to all your armored vehicle avatars. Please adjust them accordingly!
    tank = pool, reservoir (of water) - a form of containment and storage > tank = a large metal drum for storage of liquids and gasses > tank = an armored vehicle that resembled a storage tank

tank = pool, reservoir (of water) - also good for swimming and diving > diving = tanking > boxing - taking a dive = tanking

If A=B, and A=C, then clearly B=C and all these tank avatars are fine.

But if that doesn't convince you, then this should appease your conscience:

15. Like vino, Quirk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

is this thread supposed to be tanken seriously?
    you're welcome
    @jerboat

17. Like LBF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

as serious as she is about the bullfight.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quirk wrote: View Post

The great thing about the English language, is that it is still alive and kicking. Words and phrases evolve and change over time to take on different meaning. To illustrate my point, the Oxford English Dictionary, adds new words and new usage for words and phrases every few months. English is less about previous rules and meaning (despite what an English teacher might tell you) and more about how people actually communicate and understand each other. English operates in a post-modern world where usage=validity. Which is why the phrase "Your post is literally, the worst post in the history of the universe" is not seen as a misuse of the world literally.

So yes, historically, trying to be intentionally bad at a management level in the NBA in order to acquire draft picks, has no historic association with tanks. BUT thanks to us, they do NOW and the NOW is more important than the history, at least when it comes to the English language.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Words and phrases evolve and change over time to take on different meaning.
    Wittgenstein? Is that you?

Which is why the phrase "Your post is literally, the worst post in the history of the universe" is not seen as a misuse of the world literally.
    Wrong.

21. Like JimiCliff, Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

...Which is why the phrase "Your post is literally, the worst post in the history of the universe" is not seen as a misuse of the world literally....
    From the online Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=literally

"Incorrect usage:

A: It was literally raining cats and dogs.

B: Really dipshit? How many scratches do you have?

Correct usage:
    A: Dude, Justin Bieber literally has half a billion views on YouTube.
    B: Shit, really? Now I know the world is coming to an end"

As I have mentioned in this forum before, "words have meaning" and using them to suit yourself, as opposed to in the commonly accepted manner just leads to miscommunication. The fact that a certain segment of the population (a particular age span, cultural group, or sub-culture) use them commonly doesn't make it correct. Bad English does sometimes get into common enough useage that it becomes accepted. But until it does...(and saying "but that's the way everyone I know uses it" proves nothing...is that how you hear it being use at school, in business, by the network news anchors, in books etc.)

I'm with Quirk on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a dream.

Raps tank and take #1 Wiggins.

After 5 years, intake 2014 goes into free agency. Drew talks Jabari and Julius into coming to Tdot to form the BIGGEST 3. TO goes on to win 5 champions in a row.

I hate Gay. He's a cruddy stopper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    From the online Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=literally

"Incorrect usage:

A: It was literally raining cats and dogs.

B: Really dipshit? How many scratches do you have?

Correct usage:
    A: Dude, Justin Bieber literally has half a billion views on YouTube.
    B: Shit, really? Now I know the world is coming to an end"

As I have mentioned in this forum before, "words have meaning" and using them to suit yourself, as opposed to in the commonly accepted manner just leads to miscommunication. The fact that a certain segment of the population (a particular age span, cultural group, or sub-culture) use them commonly doesn't make it correct. Bad English does sometimes get into common enough useage that it becomes accepted. But until it does...(and saying "but that's the way everyone I know uses it" proves nothing...is that how you hear it being use at school, in business, by the network news anchors, in books etc.)

I'm with Quirk on this one.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. "Literally" has been used somewhat figuratively to mean "really" or "very" for, literally, hundreds of years. If you don't think so, you can feel free to take up your case with Oxford and Mark Twain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...literally.html

25. Like LBF, Puffer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lexicographer: a writer of dictionaries; a harmless drudge that busies himself in tracing the original and detailing the signification of words
    Oats: a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people
    Monsieur: a term of reproach for a Frenchman
    -"A Dictionary of the English Language", 1755

“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
    -Mark Twain

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. "Literally" has been used somewhat figuratively to mean "really" or "very" for, literally, hundreds of years. If you don't think so, you can feel free to take up your case with Oxford and Mark Twain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...literally.html
    Not going to argue with the Oxford Dictionary. If they admit that they have caved and now accept incorrect usage of a word as being acceptable, who am I to argue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Not going to argue with the Oxford Dictionary.
    Oxford closed Canadian dictionary division in 2008

Screw them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information