Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Tank: reservoir, lake, or pond

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Tank: reservoir, lake, or pond

    From Gujarati tānkh artificial lake, but influenced also by Portuguese tanque, from estanque pond, from estancar to dam up,

    1610s, "pool or lake for irrigation or drinking water," a word originally brought by the Portuguese from India, ultimately from Gujarati tankh "cistern, underground reservoir for water," Marathi tanken, or tanka "reservoir of water, tank." Perhaps from Skt. tadaga-m "pond, lake pool," and reinforced

    Boxing slang gave us "take a dive" which lead to Tank, Tanking, i.e. to dive into the pool, or "Tank" as it was called.

    This usage is unrelated to all your armored vehicle avatars. Please adjust them accordingly!

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  3. Like ceez, KazanTheMan, LBF, mcHAPPY liked this post
  4. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,507
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    T(h)anks for the education

  5. Like Mack North, Nilanka, LBF, mcHAPPY liked this post
  6. #4
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A key component of the Raptors "tanking" strategy, as favored by most pro-tankers, is the blowing-up of the team's current core. It is that roster explosion or implosion (depending on your perspective) that will be the catalyst for "tanking" for the rest of this season, in the truest sense of the phrase. The team - TL, MU, DC, players - entered this season with the goal of competing; blowing-up the core and the resultant tanking will [hopefully] come about as a result of the team's continued on-court failing with the current capped-out core.

    Fish tanks and dives don't include the pre-tanking blowing-up, with the expected Raptors' tank job requires. Hence, the double-meaning TANK!

  7. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    is this thread supposed to be taken seriously?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  8. #6
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    is this thread supposed to be taken seriously?
    Are any?
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  9. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Are any?
    None of mine are, that much I can tell you.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  10. Like Axel liked this post
  11. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    is this thread supposed to be taken seriously?
    I don't tank so.

  12. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    I don't tank so.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  13. Like Masai Ujiri liked this post
  14. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    From Gujarati tānkh artificial lake, but influenced also by Portuguese tanque, from estanque pond, from estancar to dam up,

    1610s, "pool or lake for irrigation or drinking water," a word originally brought by the Portuguese from India, ultimately from Gujarati tankh "cistern, underground reservoir for water," Marathi tanken, or tanka "reservoir of water, tank." Perhaps from Skt. tadaga-m "pond, lake pool," and reinforced

    Boxing slang gave us "take a dive" which lead to Tank, Tanking, i.e. to dive into the pool, or "Tank" as it was called.

    This usage is unrelated to all your armored vehicle avatars. Please adjust them accordingly!
    tank = pool, reservoir (of water) - a form of containment and storage > tank = a large metal drum for storage of liquids and gasses > tank = an armored vehicle that resembled a storage tank

    tank = pool, reservoir (of water) - also good for swimming and diving > diving = tanking > boxing - taking a dive = tanking

    If A=B, and A=C, then clearly B=C and all these tank avatars are fine.

    But if that doesn't convince you, then this should appease your conscience:







  15. Like vino, Quirk liked this post
  16. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    is this thread supposed to be tanken seriously?
    you're welcome
    @jerboat

  17. Like LBF liked this post
  18. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    is this thread supposed to be taken seriously?
    as serious as she is about the bullfight.

  19. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,746
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    From Gujarati tānkh artificial lake, but influenced also by Portuguese tanque, from estanque pond, from estancar to dam up,

    1610s, "pool or lake for irrigation or drinking water," a word originally brought by the Portuguese from India, ultimately from Gujarati tankh "cistern, underground reservoir for water," Marathi tanken, or tanka "reservoir of water, tank." Perhaps from Skt. tadaga-m "pond, lake pool," and reinforced

    Boxing slang gave us "take a dive" which lead to Tank, Tanking, i.e. to dive into the pool, or "Tank" as it was called.

    This usage is unrelated to all your armored vehicle avatars. Please adjust them accordingly!
    The great thing about the English language, is that it is still alive and kicking. Words and phrases evolve and change over time to take on different meaning. To illustrate my point, the Oxford English Dictionary, adds new words and new usage for words and phrases every few months. English is less about previous rules and meaning (despite what an English teacher might tell you) and more about how people actually communicate and understand each other. English operates in a post-modern world where usage=validity. Which is why the phrase "Your post is literally, the worst post in the history of the universe" is not seen as a misuse of the world literally.

    So yes, historically, trying to be intentionally bad at a management level in the NBA in order to acquire draft picks, has no historic association with tanks. BUT thanks to us, they do NOW and the NOW is more important than the history, at least when it comes to the English language.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  20. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Words and phrases evolve and change over time to take on different meaning.
    Wittgenstein? Is that you?

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Which is why the phrase "Your post is literally, the worst post in the history of the universe" is not seen as a misuse of the world literally.
    Wrong.

  21. Like JimiCliff, Puffer liked this post
  22. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,746
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    ...Which is why the phrase "Your post is literally, the worst post in the history of the universe" is not seen as a misuse of the world literally....
    From the online Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=literally

    "Incorrect usage:

    A: It was literally raining cats and dogs.

    B: Really dipshit? How many scratches do you have?

    Correct usage:
    A: Dude, Justin Bieber literally has half a billion views on YouTube.
    B: Shit, really? Now I know the world is coming to an end"

    As I have mentioned in this forum before, "words have meaning" and using them to suit yourself, as opposed to in the commonly accepted manner just leads to miscommunication. The fact that a certain segment of the population (a particular age span, cultural group, or sub-culture) use them commonly doesn't make it correct. Bad English does sometimes get into common enough useage that it becomes accepted. But until it does...(and saying "but that's the way everyone I know uses it" proves nothing...is that how you hear it being use at school, in business, by the network news anchors, in books etc.)

    I'm with Quirk on this one.

  23. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter Pele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mud
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had a dream.

    Raps tank and take #1 Wiggins.

    After 5 years, intake 2014 goes into free agency. Drew talks Jabari and Julius into coming to Tdot to form the BIGGEST 3. TO goes on to win 5 champions in a row.

    I hate Gay. He's a cruddy stopper.

  24. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    From the online Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=literally

    "Incorrect usage:

    A: It was literally raining cats and dogs.

    B: Really dipshit? How many scratches do you have?

    Correct usage:
    A: Dude, Justin Bieber literally has half a billion views on YouTube.
    B: Shit, really? Now I know the world is coming to an end"

    As I have mentioned in this forum before, "words have meaning" and using them to suit yourself, as opposed to in the commonly accepted manner just leads to miscommunication. The fact that a certain segment of the population (a particular age span, cultural group, or sub-culture) use them commonly doesn't make it correct. Bad English does sometimes get into common enough useage that it becomes accepted. But until it does...(and saying "but that's the way everyone I know uses it" proves nothing...is that how you hear it being use at school, in business, by the network news anchors, in books etc.)

    I'm with Quirk on this one.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. "Literally" has been used somewhat figuratively to mean "really" or "very" for, literally, hundreds of years. If you don't think so, you can feel free to take up your case with Oxford and Mark Twain.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...literally.html

  25. Like LBF, Puffer liked this post
  26. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lexicographer: a writer of dictionaries; a harmless drudge that busies himself in tracing the original and detailing the signification of words
    Oats: a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people
    Monsieur: a term of reproach for a Frenchman
    -"A Dictionary of the English Language", 1755


    “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
    -Mark Twain

  27. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,746
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. "Literally" has been used somewhat figuratively to mean "really" or "very" for, literally, hundreds of years. If you don't think so, you can feel free to take up your case with Oxford and Mark Twain.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...literally.html
    Not going to argue with the Oxford Dictionary. If they admit that they have caved and now accept incorrect usage of a word as being acceptable, who am I to argue.

  28. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Not going to argue with the Oxford Dictionary.
    Oxford closed Canadian dictionary division in 2008

    Screw them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •