Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a dream.

Raps tank and take #1 Wiggins.

After 5 years, intake 2014 goes into free agency. Drew talks Jabari and Julius into coming to Tdot to form the BIGGEST 3. TO goes on to win 5 champions in a row.

I hate Gay. He's a cruddy stopper.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      From the online Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=literally

"Incorrect usage:

A: It was literally raining cats and dogs.

B: Really dipshit? How many scratches do you have?

Correct usage:
      A: Dude, Justin Bieber literally has half a billion views on YouTube.
      B: Shit, really? Now I know the world is coming to an end"

As I have mentioned in this forum before, "words have meaning" and using them to suit yourself, as opposed to in the commonly accepted manner just leads to miscommunication. The fact that a certain segment of the population (a particular age span, cultural group, or sub-culture) use them commonly doesn't make it correct. Bad English does sometimes get into common enough useage that it becomes accepted. But until it does...(and saying "but that's the way everyone I know uses it" proves nothing...is that how you hear it being use at school, in business, by the network news anchors, in books etc.)

I'm with Quirk on this one.
      Wrong, wrong, wrong. "Literally" has been used somewhat figuratively to mean "really" or "very" for, literally, hundreds of years. If you don't think so, you can feel free to take up your case with Oxford and Mark Twain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...literally.html
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Lexicographer: a writer of dictionaries; a harmless drudge that busies himself in tracing the original and detailing the signification of words
        Oats: a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people
        Monsieur: a term of reproach for a Frenchman
        -"A Dictionary of the English Language", 1755

“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
        -Mark Twain

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
          Wrong, wrong, wrong. "Literally" has been used somewhat figuratively to mean "really" or "very" for, literally, hundreds of years. If you don't think so, you can feel free to take up your case with Oxford and Mark Twain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...literally.html
          Not going to argue with the Oxford Dictionary. If they admit that they have caved and now accept incorrect usage of a word as being acceptable, who am I to argue.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            Not going to argue with the Oxford Dictionary.
            Oxford closed Canadian dictionary division in 2008

Screw them!

Comment

If 'literally' doesn't mean 'literally' any longer, how does one convey literalness going forward?!?!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                If 'literally' doesn't mean 'literally' any longer, how does one convey literalness going forward?!?!
                "Literally Literally"

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                  "Literally Literally"
                  "repeatable, reliable, evidence-based literally derived from randomized controlled trials"

Comment

What does any of this have to do with the Toronto Raptors playing basketball?

While the language debate continues, we can all agree on this usage can't we, "The Raptors literally suck"
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      What does any of this have to do with the Toronto Raptors playing basketball?

While the language debate continues, we can all agree on this usage can't we, "The Raptors literally suck"
                      Haha But in this case, its the definition of "Suck" that comes into question.
                      At 4-5, they are not technically the worst team in the league.
                      And by being in the Top 15 in both Offensive and Defensive Rating, technically they are in the Top Half of the League in terms of sucklessness ... but yes... they do.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                        Which is why the phrase "Your post is literally, the worst post in the history of the universe" is not seen as a misuse of the world literally.
                        Then, at this point, we're arguing over the definition of the word 'misuse'.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

This thread is an abortion
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            That is the heart of racism
                            If you dealt Quentin Tarantino half a wit, he'd be well on his way to being a half-wit.

The "heart of racism" has nothing to do with how or why he or the Hughes brothers (whoever they are) can use the term "Nigger" that's just cultural baggage. The heart of racism is the social and culture institutions that allow one "race" to exploit and exclude another, one of those institution is the idea of race itself. The heart of racism is privilege.

Oh yeah, and your elephant joke is hilarious. To a 14 year old. I assume. It's also a scientifically proven fact than nobody is looking for CFL news.

Sorry you don't like the thread.

Best,

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                              If you dealt Quentin Tarantino half a wit, he'd be well on his way to being a half-wit.

The "heart of racism" has nothing to do with how or why he or the Hughes brothers (whoever they are) can use the term "Nigger" that's just cultural baggage. The heart of racism is the social and culture institutions that allow one "race" to exploit and exclude another, one of those institution is the idea of race itself. The heart of racism is privilege.

Oh yeah, and your elephant joke is hilarious. To a 14 year old. I assume. It's also a scientifically proven fact than nobody is looking for CFL news.

Sorry you don't like the thread.

Best,
                              I stand by my statement.

This thread is an abortion.
                              Last edited by LBF; Sat Nov 16, 2013, 01:17 PM.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I stand by my statement.
                                Admirable.

This thread is an abortion.
                                You forgot the word "literally."

Comment

Working...
                                X