No announcement yet.

Back to the TANK: Free Agency VS Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add Jason Kapono to the "sign and retire" list. Jarrett Jack was a decent signing.

Comment

TheGlove, I think the weather, taxes, and other BS are definitely reasons why ignorant American players would choose elsewhere if given the chance.

I mean, even the experienced, apparently educated players (like Bosh), said this place just felt different.

Of course you and I know it's all BS, but the point is that it's real to most players in the league, so we can't discount it.

EDIT: Just another reason why Wiggins is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the Raptors. How could we live with ourselves if we didn't give the draft a chance next year? All it would cost us is a .500 season (at best).
      Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Nov 14, 2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I mean, even the experienced, apparently educated players (like Bosh), said this place just felt different.

Ya, losing does feel different. Really that is the only reason why players don't come to TO...I wouldn't want to go to a city where they are always bad, when I can take the same amount to go play somewhere where the team wins. It's not just TO that has trouble attracting FA's, Charlotte, Milwaukee, ATL, Sac, PHX. Nobody went to OKC till Durant and Westbrook got drafted, nobody went to Cleveland until LeBron got there

Comment

Any significant splash in free agency will ultimately mean that we won't have Lowry/Gay on our roster next year, strictly from a financial point of view.

And if that's the case, why not just trade them this season and get whatever you can back in tangible assets?

Broken record time: We don't have to settle for either or. A good rebuild strategy will result in a top pick this summer AND cap room to work with.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I don't think tanking for free agency alone will bring a free agent of any significant quality here.

Free agency is about the chance to win and money.... not necessarily in that order.

Also, a star free agent typically joins up with another star.

Keep in mind as well that an UFA is typically going to be anywhere from 27-29 years of age (4 year rookie deal, 4-5 year post rookie contract). For a 27-29 year old to join your team, you have to be on the cusp of winning.

So for the Raptors to become a destination in free agency, they need to:

1) dump dead weight contracts
            2) obtain prospects with potential and picks,
            3) obtain another star (or two!) via draft or trade,
            4) have lots of cap space available

To be honest this is the route many people who are looking for #BlowItUpAlreadyMasai to do.

1) dump Gay and DeRozan,
            2) draft draft draft
            3) draft that star or trade some assets,
            4) hit free agency in 2015 or 2016 with an opportunity to sell a chance to win right away and a boat load of cash towed behind them.

Getting things to work out that way is the tricky part but it really is that simple.

A team like the Lakers MIGHT be able to pull off what you are suggesting but I don't think any other team realistically can.

I feel like this season is one freakin' sinister caramilk secret. The only answers are the ones that make a bit of sense...pass the eye test. I agree that the above is a plan approved by many. But how do you get from step one to step two? Who is trading for 4 years of Demar, three months of Lowry or three months of Gay (or even worse, another year of Gay at $20 million). And if they are, they are not giving back a top ten pick in this years draft. Not one without protection. We only have our pick, however good it may be. I would love to be proven wrong. I guess the Pelicans trade happened so there is hope. But the more the college season goes on...the hope dims. So point one does not lead to point two. Which means it can not lead to point three. Which means we have JV, TRoss and, "good case" scenario, one or two mid level draft picks. And if we do that, likely a great pick in 2015. Anybody in that draft who's name rhymes with "tankin'" so we can work on the slogan now? I'm not against tanking. I just want to see how it can be done.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              Ya, losing does feel different. Really that is the only reason why players don't come to TO...I wouldn't want to go to a city where they are always bad, when I can take the same amount to go play somewhere where the team wins. It's not just TO that has trouble attracting FA's, Charlotte, Milwaukee, ATL, Sac, PHX. Nobody went to OKC till Durant and Westbrook got drafted, nobody went to Cleveland until LeBron got there
              Bosh is like most Americans...they believe anything mildly different from their usual audio, visual and mannerism comfort zone..."feels" different. And Bosh is probably more worldly than most NBAers. Case in point is how many Americans have passports. About 33% according to Forbes in 2012. And this is after the mandatory reqts. for one to travel to Canada and Mexico. Most tend to be fundamentally illiterate about norms and customs in other countries and actually dont give a shit either way. And when one adds this natural aversion to the fact that the NBA is here and some are given the choice to play here there has to be a compelling reason for many before they they say "yes". The answer: Force them. Draft them young and impressionable and committed by the cba to be here for about 7-8 years.

Of course losing doesnt help but somehow I dont think thats entirely what Bosh meant by "different".

Comment

BTW...who is this Bargnani guy playing for the Knicks? 24 pts 3/3 from 3?

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                  BTW...who is this Bargnani guy playing for the Knicks? 24 pts 3/3 from 3?
                  It certainly seems he has been eating better pasta than Primo. He also played Howard tough in the post. Howard of course was a D...definitely a bad game and I wonder if Houston made a mistake. The Rockets could have won the game without him.

Comment

I agree that Bosh's comment "feels different" isn't about winning or losing. Lots of Americans who come to Canada say it feels different and for most of them it's used with a positive connotation, although most of them are tourists, so I guess that is a caveat.

You can put me strongly into the camp, that winning cures all. I'm not saying that Toronto even as a winner will attract free agent talent because it seems that regardless of winning big name free agents seem to go to the big markets in the US. I mean how many big name free agents did the Jazz attract in the 90's? How many big name free agents have signed in SA... ever?

That said, as long as you have good management, you'll be able to keep the talent you draft, and the talent you trade for.

It's all about management. Draft well (and whatever position you have) and stock pile value contracts. It's easier said then done, but that's my philosophy on how to put yourself in position to become a contender.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                      I feel like this season is one freakin' sinister caramilk secret. The only answers are the ones that make a bit of sense...pass the eye test. I agree that the above is a plan approved by many. But how do you get from step one to step two? Who is trading for 4 years of Demar, three months of Lowry or three months of Gay (or even worse, another year of Gay at $20 million). And if they are, they are not giving back a top ten pick in this years draft. Not one without protection. We only have our pick, however good it may be. I would love to be proven wrong. I guess the Pelicans trade happened so there is hope. But the more the college season goes on...the hope dims. So point one does not lead to point two. Which means it can not lead to point three. Which means we have JV, TRoss and, "good case" scenario, one or two mid level draft picks. And if we do that, likely a great pick in 2015. Anybody in that draft who's name rhymes with "tankin'" so we can work on the slogan now? I'm not against tanking. I just want to see how it can be done.
                      At the end of the day we know Detroit will take Gay for CV and Stuckey. Toronto will have a good pick if they want to blow it up.

I feel confident in saying OKC would take Lowry for Perkins or Milwaukee would send Udoh for Lowry.

You might be right on DD. However if he is our number 1 option we know how that story goes: welcome to the top5!

DD might be untradable, I agree there. But Gay and Lowry are going to be moved if the desire is there. You are right though, it might not send back a mid first round pick. But I still hold out hope on the Boozer situation which is why you need to have Gay gone by draft night i.e. trade deadline.

There are going to be more drafts than 2014. 2015 picks could be an option. Raps already have the worse of Denver/NY picks in 2016. Neither of those teams are looking promising moving forward.

I've never denied luck or good fortune is not an element needed. But you need that if you stay the course as well - and I'd argue more.

Comment

Just because so many people now want this team to tank it probably wont happen just because we're the fucking Toronto Raptors and shit always seems to go wrong.
                        Masai will go the free-agency rout and we'll be doomed and he'll lose his job and Rod Ford will smoke more crack and yadda yadda yadda.

Lol fuck I hope not.

But seriously, I got a funny feeling bad shit will happen.
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

The tax thing is a farce. New York city is the most heavily taxed city and players still want to play there. And they haven't won shit! You know that all athletes have to pay a performance tax to play in new York? And km not talking about players that play for a team in new York I mean visiting teams!
                          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                          Because its 2015

Comment

Working...
                          X