Where the REAL tankers at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    This is interesting post. They can put up as much number as they want. Doesn't matter unless if you win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Hollow numbers don't mean anything. But the assumption is that we'd have at least 2 solid young players to build upon.

Comment

Do you think JV will resign after not making the playoffs after 4 years?

It's funny that JV fab boys are one in same as the tankers. People think that it's going to be as simple as drafting someone this year and than making the playoffs next season. It's not going to be that easy. If Lebron didn't make the playoffs his rookie year than these guys won't either. We're looking at least at a 3 year rebuilding process. That's only if we pick up a nice vet free agent who wants to play for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years. Get him at market value too lol. Back to my question. Do you think JV will resign after 4 years of no any post season?

LOL

I'm sorry but I love how the bold type of generalizations are drawn.

This JV fab boy and tanker has made it clear it is about the 2014, 2015, and 2016 draft; free agency in 2015 and 2016; and signing players to contracts that are worth the player.

The Raptor coming out party is 2015-16 if done properly (i.e. start NOW/DEC. 15) and any bit of luck.

Yes JV will resign. Why? It will likely be the contract that sets him for life.

A better question is will he sign in 7 years (3 rookie + 4 year extension).

Comment

• Mundy wrote: View Post
        No need to apologize, it wasn't an entirely clear comparison. And your opinion about the direction of the team isn't the one I was mentioning, I really tried to make that distinction. I have to problem if Ujiri tears it down because there truly IS so much talent in the top 6 of this draft, but the #tankforwiggins movement/bandwagon is what sets me off. It's on here occasionally, it's on twitter, it's on other forums I frequent... and it's short sighted. I was bringing up something you said in reference to this, but I tried to distinguish your posts from that general attitude.
        To be fair, "Tank for Wiggins" is not a Toronto-specific phenomenon. It's league-wide. It was much more vocal in the summer, though; now that the other guys are making an equally-huge splash in NCAA, it's expanded to "Scramble for Randle", "Tank Harder for Parker" etc.

I agree it's short-sighted. Right now, I think I like Exum best for Toronto. But it's bound to happen when a) the player is a can't-lose prospect, and b) he's a local.
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

This is interesting post. They can put up as much number as they want. Doesn't matter unless if you win.

Then why the heck wouldn't you want to blow up this team? That's all I thought of when I read your post. The current roster we have has too many subpar players like that. Guys who consciously or not, seem to only know how to go about getting theirs, and struggle mightily to play any semblance of team basketball (coaching clearly a factor here, but can't take all teh blame).

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            LOL

I'm sorry but I love how the bold type of generalizations are drawn.

This JV fab boy and tanker has made it clear it is about the 2014, 2015, and 2016 draft; free agency in 2015 and 2016; and signing players to contracts that are worth the player.

The Raptor coming out party is 2015-16 if done properly (i.e. start NOW/DEC. 15) and any bit of luck.

Yes JV will resign. Why? It will likely be the contract that sets him for life.

A better question is will he sign in 7 years (3 rookie + 4 year extension).
            Isn't this the other way around? There are definitely 4 years on rookie contracts if all options picked up by team.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Isn't this the other way around? There are definitely 4 years on rookie contracts if all options picked up by team.
              Yep. 2 Years Guaranteed. 2 separate years of Team Options. Can then sign a 5 year Extension I believe.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Jv in 2nd year

3 years left on rook

Comment

Jv in 2nd year

3 years left on rook
                  Gotcha, my bad.

Comment

Jv in 2nd year

3 years left on rook
                    So he can only be signed to a 4 year extension? Not 5?

Comment

Jv in 2nd year

3 years left on rook
                      Are you including this year as one of those 3?

Comment

• Nosike wrote: View Post
                        Are you including this year as one of those 3?
                        2013-14 - $3.5M salary (current season)
                        2014-15 - $3.7M salary
                        2015-16 - $4.7M team option
                        2016-17 - $6.2M qualifying offer (restricted free agent once QO is made)

LINK: http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          He can be signed to 4 or 5.

Key is you can't have two guys on a 5 year rookie contract extension.

That extra 5th year should be your franchise player (like KD in OKC).

My thinking is that 5 year extension is saved for 2014 draft pick aka our franchise playa!

As an aside, Love in MIN took a 4 year extension but he wanted 5. Kahn wanted to save 5 year for Rubio. Love took this as an insult. Love/agent asked or negotiated the opt out after 3 years instead of the full 5. That 3rd year of the extension is next season. How much you wish to bet Love opts out?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            2014-15 - $3.7M salary

And his cap hold will be $11.5M (250% of his 4th year salary).

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              It depends. The new CBA has made 5 year extensions only available to your designated player. So if the Raps sign Jonas to a 5-year extension, anyone else they draft can get 4 max. I think the logic is that if they draft someone like Wiggins, they would very likely save the 5-year deal for him, and offer Jonas 4.

*Damn it, Matt beat me to it. An intersting sidenote though: You CAN have 2 5-year extension designated players on your team if the 2nd one is from another team, and so not a guy you drafted. Probably damn hard to pull off though.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                2013-14 - $3.5M salary (current season)
                                2014-15 - $3.7M salary

The qualifying offer isn't actually a year of his contract though, Val is only guaranteed to be here for 4 years total.

Comment

Working...
                                X