Tor-hou-cha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tor-hou-cha

Although I really don't think Toronto has need of Asik, it's the sort of move that I could see MU swooping in to make. Any deal for Asik is likely to expand to become a multi-team deal, or Asik could be flipped in a subsequent deal.

I got thinking about teams that might have use for Asik, while possessing assets to interest Toronto. Here's one such deal I came up with: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m9grpbm (Augustin can't be included until Dec.15, but doesn't have to be for this deal to work).

TO HOUSTON - Gay & Augustin

TO TORONTO - Lin & Gordon & 2 x 2014 1st round picks (from Charlotte)

TO CHARLOTTE - Asik & Fields

My thought was that Houston could have use for Gay, with Asik/Lin required to balance salary. Augustin would be a throw-in to balance # of players and reinforce Houston's PG depth. Toronto might even add a sweetener to the deal, by sending a future 2nd round pick to Houston.

I could really see Charlotte liking Asik, both to push for the playoffs this year and aid in their rebuilding process. A starting lineup of Asik, Jefferson, MKG, Henderson & Walker would be pretty solid, with Sessions, Fields, Biyombo & Zeller off the bench. Fields would give them a young veteran glue guy, who's also required to balance salary. In lieu of giving up a legit player, they'd give up 2 of their 3 2014 1st round picks (2 have protections).

Toronto would basically dump the salaries of Gay, Fields and Augustin for Lin and Gordon. Lin would immediately make Lowry expendable, while Gordon is a fat expiring contract (provides good cap relief in the offseason, or could be flipped before the deadline). Adding 2 additional 2014 1st round picks would be ideal, and I don't even necessarily see this as an outright 'tank' move. MU would still have Lowry, Novak and Gordon's $13M expiring contract available as prime trade bait, before even considering DeRozan, Johnson or Hansborough. With 3 and potentially more 1st round picks, the Raps would have a lot of options come the draft.

Thoughts???
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Nov 15, 2013, 01:55 AM.

I don't really understand how you justify Charlotte giving us two 1st rd picks for Fields and Asik. Maybe you get one for Asik.

They aren't giving up a "legit" piece, but they're getting just one. I love Fields, but for Charlotte, he probably isn't the kind of piece they'd want the most. MKG has very similar strengths, and what they'd probably want a bit more is some kind of shooting off the bench. Maybe you could send them Novak instead, and maybe get another pick in the form of a 2nd rounder, not a 1st.

*EDIT: Totally unrelated but holy fuck this OKC-GSW game has been crazy.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I don't really understand how you justify Charlotte giving us two 1st rd picks for Fields and Asik. Maybe you get one for Asik.

They aren't giving up a "legit" piece, but they're getting just one. I love Fields, but for Charlotte, he probably isn't the kind of piece they'd want the most. MKG has very similar strengths, and what they'd probably want a bit more is some kind of shooting off the bench. Maybe you could send them Novak instead, and maybe get another pick in the form of a 2nd rounder, not a 1st.

*EDIT: Totally unrelated but holy fuck this OKC-GSW game has been crazy.
      Fair enough. It's hard to gauge the trade value of Asik, but I do recall he was in high demand prior to signing with Houston. I would think he should fetch a 1st round pick from most teams, given his talent, age and salary under $9M. I wondered if taking on Gordon and giving up Fields might be enough to get a heavily protected 1st out of Charlotte as well... even if additional sweetener (ie: a 2nd round pick in 2014) was needed?

Comment

Why would Charlotte even want Asik? They have Cody Zeller, Biyombo and of course Al Jefferson already.

Comment

Lin's shot has improved. He will never be a great natural point guard because he lacks vision but he looks like a very good scoring 6th man. Right now I wouldn't trade him for Gay, much less Lin+Asik for Gay.

Comment

if you get a pick out of it, sure. if not, nope.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't understand a couple things:

1. Like everyone has stated, why does Charlotte want Asik? They already have Jefferson and they already have a log jam in the PF & C position.

2. Houston has no used for Gay. Parsons is more effective and takes better shots than Gay at 1/17th the salary.

Comment

Working...
              X