X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Masai-O-Meter

Temporary Error (404)

Comment

What is the Masai-O-Meter? Well, a popular concept is that one goal if this year is to see if our starting five can really live up to the promise that they showed in the last ten games of last year. Statistically, they formed on of the best starting fives in the league. While no one expects that to hold up through a regular season, the thought is that Masai wants to see how much substance there is in that before dismantling a still young team. We think the deadline is mid-end December. So in rough graph form, here is an idea of where Masai's mindset may be at any given time. From 10 (this is the team to grow) to 0 (blow it to the core). I'll try and update it when I can. More thoughts to come.

Comment

It's hard to know what to make of this team based on our expectations. Due to the small sample size, we're as close to the top as the bottom. Here's how I see it. Three legitimate losses to the likely 1-3 seeds in the Eastern conference (miami, indy, chi). Three close (and in some cases, very, very close) loses to middle to good teams (atl, charlotte, houston). The 4 wins, by comparison, have not been nearly as close as a whole. I think there has been more positive than the 4-6 record shows.
        Remember, no one value exists in a vacuum (except the first one). It's more like a barometer. A good day will move the marker
        up only as high as the previous bad day allows it.

Boston. 7. A good win with a team effort. Tainted only by the realization that the Celtics may get Wiggins
        Atlanta. 5. First test against a mid level team. Made it close at the end but played flat through most of it.
        Mill. 8. Another test against a mid level team. Passed with relative ease. Nice 2-1 start
        Miami. 7. A loss but an expected one. Good things from JV. Down a bit.
        Charlotte. 4. A terribly played game topped only by a terrible coaching decision. This team has to go.
        Indy. 5. Yes, a loss but responded to the bad bobcats game coming out strong. Kept a great team in check before falling.
        Utah. 7. A rare decisive start to finish win. Utah looked so bad that they made tanking look a bit toxic.
        Houston. 7. No budge. A game that blew up twitter in a bad way but also showed some grit against a preseason darling.
        Memphis. 8. So..that's the starting 5 they are talking about! Don't look now, but we look as good (or bad) as the Grizz in many ways
        Chi. 6. Still a great team without Rose. No shame in losing. There is shame in putting in a 1st quarter like that though.

Anyways, it was fun to put this together however, the only number that really matters is where the scale is at on Dec 15th (or thereabouts)

Comment

I tried reading it. I really did.

Comment

You have remarkably high estimations of the mostly terrible basketball our team has been playing. A 7 for the win over Boston? A 5 for the horrendous Atlanta loss? Yeeeeeeesh.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
              You have remarkably high estimations of the mostly terrible basketball our team has been playing. A 7 for the win over Boston? A 5 for the horrendous Atlanta loss? Yeeeeeeesh.
              Not so high. A final result below 5 leans towards blowing up the team. The first game did not necessarily prove the strength of last years strong finish but it didn't deny it. The Atlanta loss represented worse than a 5 since worse than 5 is what it takes to bring the meter down from 7 to 5. Somewhere this makes sense.

Comment

ryanc123 wrote: View Post
                I tried reading it. I really did.
                thanks

Comment

Working...
                X