Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Taxes, the border, snow, the metric system and now....

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    He's got a good point. I'm on a corporate account and we get slammed for roaming charges just 'roaming' from Toronto to Waterloo. It's f'in ridiculous. Please, please, please get a foreign carrier in here who can be a legitimate threat to Bell/Rogers/Telus oligopoly.

*end of rant*
    I work for Bell, and this literally made me laugh out loud. Whoever is in charge of maintaining your accounts needs to be fired immediately. Thanks for the good laugh though.

2. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

pay as you go, with unlimited surfing and i never pay more than 200 yuan a month. you guys need some state run enterprises over there to completely overtake the market and bring down costs. all that competition is driving prices up.
    For The Win

4. Like Quirk liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Though I suppose even intelligent, articulate people still make asinine, ignorant comments.
    3.6 grade point average at an elite institution. Patriot League Honor Roll.

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/athletes/c.j._mccollum/

McCollum is a journalism major. He can articulate.

6. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the metric system is the tool of the devil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h42zOpPlPLY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    McCollum is a journalism major. He can articulate.
    doesn't this just mean he can copy and paste other peoples work and make shit up
    For The Win

9. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    doesn't this just mean he can copy and paste other peoples work and make shit up
    McCollum likely knows how to punctuate and use capital letters.

11. Like Axel, LBF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hah ... Zing. This made me laugh.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Post Thanks / Like

i never flaunted my gpa or have it used to defend myself when i say something stupid. (using a second sentence so added a full stop) smart people can say dumb things and their test scores and degrees don't change that.
    For The Win

14. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

just for a second switch this and say tony parker hurts himself and says he earned respect for americans having to pay medical bills out of their own pockets. that would cause an uproar. roaming charges is something everyone has to deal with. i think he just made some calls and was hit with a bigger bill then he thought and tweeted the first thought that came into his head, as twitterers? twits? are want to do. he doesn't know how small our tolerance for american people small talking our country is. and now a bunch of over reacting and word searching is taking place. like when we say "i had a good day today honey" and the wife comes back "oh, because i wasn't there".

this is no way as ignorant as being afraid of the metric system. money is money rich or poor and no one wants to waste it on something that should be 80% cheaper.
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Mon Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly grades don't mean jack in a comment like that. I know people who are very intelligent but they have almost zero general knowledge. C.J Mcollum looks like one of those people

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Honestly grades don't mean jack in a comment like that. I know people who are very intelligent but they have almost zero general knowledge. C.J Mcollum looks like one of those people
    Yup, there is a definitely difference between book smarts and street smarts.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

18. Like KeonClark liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a lot of respect for overseas players after that trip to Toronto. Living off wifi and taking the random roaming penalties is no joke
    Are we really getting THIS bent out of shape for a simple comment about roaming charges? Who doesn't hate roaming fees? Why is this a "shot" at anyone? How is it a reflection of his intelligence?

20. Like ezz_bee liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a non-issue and a non-starter for me.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Yup, there is a definitely difference between book smarts and street smarts.
    Yup. I worked with a guy with 2 Master's degrees, but he couldn't understand why it was acceptable for us to use google to verify a company's mailing address. Simply couldn't wrap his head around it. Too much time in the academic world to understand the real world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ddaylewis wrote: View Post
    Are we really getting THIS bent out of shape for a simple comment about roaming charges? Who doesn't hate roaming fees? Why is this a "shot" at anyone? How is it a reflection of his intelligence?
    Sigh....

It's not about the roaming charges at all. It's about the "bubble" most Americans live in, intent on knowing very little about their surroundings. And adds further evidence that Toronto being the lone non-American franchise, does indeed have hurdles to clear when attracting free agents that no other NBA market has to deal with.

You and I know they're not real hurdles, but the negative perception exists, and that's what matters.
    Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Nov 20th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

24. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sigh....

It's not about the roaming charges at all. It's about the "bubble" most Americans live in, intent on knowing very little about their surroundings. And adds further evidence that Toronto being the lone non-American franchise, does indeed have hurdles to clear when attracting free agents that no other NBA market has to deal with.

You and I know they're not real hurdles, but the negative perception exists, and that's what matters.
    What's the old adage, that perception is truth? An invisible obstacle is still an obstacle, if one believes it is there.

26. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Yup. I worked with a guy with 2 Master's degrees, but he couldn't understand why it was acceptable for us to use google to verify a company's mailing address. Simply couldn't wrap his head around it. Too much time in the academic world to understand the real world.
    Lol I'm seeing some guys that didn't do too well in college with agendas here...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    Lol I'm seeing some guys that didn't do too well in college with agendas here...
    Not at all. Simply an acknowledgement that memorizing a text book does not make up for real-world experience (regardless of how many case-studies read).

In fact, I would argue that earning a degree was most helpful to me because of the lessons learned, and people met along the way, rather than any individual pieces of information studied in the classroom.

29. Like Joey, Axel, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. Simply an acknowledgement that memorizing a text book does not make up for real-world experience (regardless of how many case-studies read).

In fact, I would argue that earning a degree was most helpful to me with the lessons learned, and people met along the way, rather than any individual pieces of information studied in a classroom.
    There are tons of people who have book smarts and street smarts.

There are also people who have neither.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    There are tons of people who have book smarts and street smarts.

There are also people who have neither.
    Absolutely. They're not mutually exclusive by any means.

My point was relating back to McCollum's tweet coming from an "intelligent" mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information