NBA league pass trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA league pass trial

Hey mods, I wasn't sure where this should go, so move it if need be!

So I signed up for the league pass trial back at the end of October, but then realized they don't broadcast Raptors games (stupid) in Canada. Then on November 8th I received an email saying I had to login and cancel my account or else I would be charged, so I immediately logged into my account, only to see that A) I had already been charged and B) there was no to cancel the subscription through my account.

I've since emailed NBA league pass three times over the last 2 weeks (nbasupport@neulion.com) and haven't heard a thing from them.

Anyone have experience dealing with NBA League pass, or is there another email address or phone number I should be calling? The website is the most unhelpful POS ever conceived and as of right now I'm stuck with a $140 service I don't care for.

Thanks

lol how did you not know that you would be charged after the trial ended? They blatantly said that you have to cancel once the trial period is over when you signed up for the trial or you would be charged. That was explicitly stated. Obviously, they should have email you earlier reminding you to cancel your account, but you should have paid attention when you were signing up for the trial. Lesson here kids, always read the fine prints before you sign up for any free trials for services that are usually not free.

Comment

While you have no one to really blame but yourself, you should just take it as a loss, make the most of it and watch as many games as you can when you have time. I recommend watching Warriors games! That's are a shit ton of fun to watch :P

Comment

Resell it to someone who wants to watch other teams.

That being said, does it include all the other teams? And are there restrictions (black-outs etc) ?

Comment

This one is on you buddy. You can't get refund from them. Their sales are final, that means they're not obligated by law to refund and cancel subscription regardless of the basis for the refund request.

You should try to contact them by these emails: nbasupport@neulion.com, nbaleaguepass@neulion.com, and this one fansupport@neulion.com ( state specifically that you want to talk about League pass and ask for supervisor's/manager's phone number. )

There are few customer services numbers, but they don't deal with financially questions over these phone numbers as they don't have access to "sensitive" information.

There's very small chance you'll get refund, but if you don't - let me know. I can help.
          Last edited by rocwell; Mon Nov 18, 2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I had the trial a couple years ago and don't remember having to cancel... but yeah, I screwed myself. Just annoyed they offered hope - emailing me to tell me I could cancel, when in fact there was no way.

Thanks for those emails rocwell, I'll try them and see if they actually respond to me.

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
              Resell it to someone who wants to watch other teams.

That being said, does it include all the other teams? And are there restrictions (black-outs etc) ?
              From what I've seen the only black-outs are raptors games

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post
                From what I've seen the only black-outs are raptors games
                Not exactly.

Here is the "blacked out" game list schedule: http://www.nba.com/schedules/nationa...B_OEM_ID=29500 + add to this schedule All Star Weekend, playoffs and NBA finals.

Comment

Blackouts are any games on TV in your area. That includes any US national broadcasts, which are typically the marquee match-ups.

The pros, though:
                  - Watch any blackout game as soon as it's completed - then you can FF through commercial breaks and halftime anyway.
                  - All games are archived. If the only good games tonight are blacked out, watch one from yesterday. All commercial breaks and halftime are already edited out for you.
                  - Take your LP with you! I bring my laptop when I travel and plug it into the hotel TV. If you're out of market, you'll even get to watch the Raptors live.

No, this isn't an official LP plug The blackouts are a bit annoying. The "free trial" that requires a cancellation (that's new this year) is a stupid policy. Also, the price creeps up every year - the first time I signed up, it was $79.

Wish I had customer service tips for you, but I've never gotten a response from them.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Blackouts are any games on TV in your area. That includes any US national broadcasts, which are typically the marquee match-ups.

The pros, though:
                    - Watch any blackout game as soon as it's completed - then you can FF through commercial breaks and halftime anyway.
                    - All games are archived. If the only good games tonight are blacked out, watch one from yesterday. All commercial breaks and halftime are already edited out for you.
                    - Take your LP with you! I bring my laptop when I travel and plug it into the hotel TV. If you're out of market, you'll even get to watch the Raptors live.

No, this isn't an official LP plug The blackouts are a bit annoying. The "free trial" that requires a cancellation (that's new this year) is a stupid policy. Also, the price creeps up every year - the first time I signed up, it was $79.

Wish I had customer service tips for you, but I've never gotten a response from them.
                    Not stupid at all. LP free trial is just same stuff as for other products. You get to watch games(try product) for free for a short period of time and then you choose to pay for it or cancel it. Free trial system hasn't changed at all, it's same since it was introduced. ( Although now you get 3 chances [before season, xmas, before playoffs] to "try product" instead of 2. )

Comment

Well I was very fortunate because they're going to refund my money. Reason being I was emailed and told I could cancel the service, only to log in and discover there was no way to do it.

Lesson learned.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Not stupid at all. LP free trial is just same stuff as for other products. You get to watch games(try product) for free for a short period of time and then you choose to pay for it or cancel it. Free trial system hasn't changed at all, it's same since it was introduced. ( Although now you get 3 chances [before season, xmas, before playoffs] to "try product" instead of 2. )
                        Not if I remember correctly - you used to get the free trial without asking for your credit card information/requiring you to cancel on-time. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked until this year.

I say it's "stupid" because the "give us payment info up front, try it out, and cancel by our deadline if you don't like it - if you're a step slow, we lock you in!" policy IS stupid, precisely because it puts customers into the situation AJ360 is in right now. Why treat your customers that way? What a terrible up-front experience to have with a company/product.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

tw
                          S.R. wrote: View Post
                          Not if I remember correctly - you used to get the free trial without asking for your credit card information/requiring you to cancel on-time. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked until this year.

I say it's "stupid" because the "give us payment info up front, try it out, and cancel by our deadline if you don't like it - if you're a step slow, we lock you in!" policy IS stupid, precisely because it puts customers into the situation AJ360 is in right now. Why treat your customers that way? What a terrible up-front experience to have with a company/product.
                          Free trials usually fail for the companies, but not because of people complaints. We're living in 2013 and free trials r becoming more and more popular than money back guarantees.

I don't see why it's stupid:

1) They're showing off their video service, key features for free.
                          2) They get more affiliates to promote their product.
                          3) They encourage more fans to sign up and try this service.
                          4) Customer is under no-obligation contract, you're allowed to cancel your payment by deadline without any charges.

Free trials are smart thing to do, especially for the companies which offering video/broadcast services.

I'm working part-time as an affiliate marketer online and I'm promoting many free-trial offers and never seen people who would be unhappy about free trial offer, unless company broke their rules.

Policy is stupid, maybe, but it's good for business. If customer doesn't cancel in time and company doesn't offer money-back guarantee then it's because they're facing additional refund charges or their merchant account has a policy against high refund ratio. ( merchant account suspension would mean big cash flow loss. )

Comment

Offering a free trial is great. Offering a free trial but you have to cancel by this date or you'll be charged can be problematic.

As a customer, if they are asking for credit card info, they're probably putting the onus* on you to cancel or you'll be receiving automated charges. Netflix is particularly crafty with their cancellation policy. As soon as you cancel your account, you no longer have access to their content even though you've paid for the month. I'm sure they do it to try to get you to delay your cancellation to as close to the deadline as possible in the hopes that you miss it and then are charged for the next month.

I LOVE free trials that don't use my credit card. These are really the only true free trials as there is no obligation on your part for action. You can be passive and let the free trial run out. Obviously, this is not the ideal situation for short term business for companies as the active opt-out will have a higher retention rate. However, I agree that it is NOT the best practice for companies in terms of long-term marketing. Marketing, based on my limited knowledge (1st year MBA course) is about creating customer equity (basically good will from the customer by providing good value for goods and services) which you then trade over the long term for money (repeat business). Regardless, of whether you think the NBA's free trial service is good or bad, how is there customer service on the issue? How easy was it for AJ to file a complaint? Did he feel like anyone heard or listened to his complaint? Did he have to contract multiple people or use multiple means (phone, email, etc) to get answers? In short, did NBA LP provide good service? This is ultimately more important than the philosophical debate about whether customer opt out free trials are the right or wrong business strategy. The customer service is way more imporant.

Just out of curiosity AJ360, it sounds like this is not the first year you've used the league pass free trial. Based on your experience this year, are you likely to partake in a free trial next year, if it requires your credit card and that you must actively opt-out by a certain date?

Onus: Difficult or disagreeable task or obligation
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                              Policy is stupid, maybe, but it's good for business.
                              I agree that it is definitely better in the short term, but I'm of the opinion (again though not an expert) that although it would have a lower retention rate having a free trial where the customer has to actively opt-in as opposed to opt-out is a better long term strategy. AND may even be less costly, as you are devoting less employee time to dealing with complaints about the policy and the costs of trying to recover outstanding costs owed to the company, either through direct staff or through 3rd party recovery services.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X