Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Unbalanced NBA?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Personally, I have no issue with Lebron James' decision other than the matter in which it was announced, but I've grown past that.

I really wanted to iterate an idea, which in my opinoin would completely eliminate the concept of super teams in the NBA.

Eliminate the maximum contract. Maintain the salary cap.

A clear problem in the NBA landscape is the method by which team's acquire superstars. Every single team would pay Lebron James the max contract to play for them. There is no decision to be made my management. The only role played by management in recruiting superstars is marketing.

The maximum contract creates a situation similar to a price ceiling in economics (given constant supply). It creates excess demand. Clearly, given that every team would pay Lebron the max contract, this is not his true value to the team.

Basketball is different from other sports in that individual players are much, much more important. Why do similar values for max contracts exist?

The max contract has two primary effects on the league:
    1. Lower-tier players earn more. (debatable whether the effect is felt more in the mid or low-tier players)
    2. Small market teams are rendered unable to attract top level talent.
    Note: When every team is offering the same amount of money, market-size, team location and team history become the only differentiating points in FA movement.

The current system does give some financial incentive to a player to stay in his hometown, but it is in the realm of 10%, which has been shown to not be enough.

In a system without max contracts, Denver could offer LJ 45 million per year. He would have a much harder time taking a paycut in the realm of 60-70% to play with his friends.

One argument against this idea is that Lebron would still opt to play with the Heat, since Denver would then be forced to fill out their team with role players. This is discounting the overall effect that the rule change would have on the entire league. There would be much fewer teams with multiple stars. A superstar might no longer be necessary to win.
    All of the pro-Lebron arguments seem to boil down to basically that he made a smart business decision for himself, within the rules (which may or may not be true) to maximize his total compensation by enhancing his brand image. All of the anti-Lebron arguments seem to boil down to the notion that he made a cowardly basketball decision, from a competition avoidance point of view. And like any good debate, there is no right or wrong answer, and in this case, a million shades of grey.

And as the axiom goes, the love of money is the root of all evil. So, like the above poster suggests, if you could simply allow Lebron to make his fair market value in salary without a maximum level, then he wouldn't need to think about scheming for championships to get that extra side income through endorsements, enhanced by winning. But still keep the hard cap, so costs are controlled. I posted this a few pages back and it got buried. Basically, the idea has been put forth by SVG, initially as a way to discourage tanking. I think it has many benefits.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...to-fix-tanking

And what, out of all that, really mattered? For me it boils down to three key ideas:
    Ditch the draft entirely.
    Keep the fairly hard cap.
    Remove caps on max salaries, so superstars can make any amount.

But don't take my word for it. Consider the awesome insight of Stan Van Gundy, as co-host on The Dan Le Batard Show on Wednesday. You can listen right now here. He's for all of the exact same stuff, it turns out.
    I’ve argued for a long time here ... that I think that one of the things that is absolutely killing parity is the individual maximum salary ... so you’re limiting LeBron James in what he can make ... that is the only reason that the Heat can have he, Bosh and Wade together ... if you still had the same luxury tax, the same salary cap set-up, but within that every individual can earn whatever they get in the market, there’s no way you could put three stars together.

Yeah, will a guy sacrifice five or six hundred thousand dollars like some of the Heat guys did to come together? Yeah. Will they sacrifice 15 million a year? No they won’t.

This is not as radical as it sounds. It wouldn't cost owners extra -- total combined player compensation is fixed to a percentage of the league's income regardless. It would just mean more money for LeBron James and top producers. Which would, of course, mean James' team would have far less money to offer the likes of Andrew Wiggins. In other words, owners get essentially fixed costs, while Wiggins doesn't go to the team that best performs the strange dance of appearing terrible. Nor does he head straight to capped out teams in L.A., New York or Miami. He'd go to the team he wanted to go to, which would probably be similar to the team with the most money to offer him. The teams with the most cap space is a crude approximation of the league's worst teams.

This could work.

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    What's the deal with lampshades?

The 90s are not going to age well, style wise.

Nice denim button up underneath some type of vest there, Jerry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    The 90s are not going to age well, style wise.

Nice denim button up underneath some type of vest there, Jerry.
    Don't worry, as soon as these kids are done with the 80's, the 90's will be recycled next.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only part I would change would be that rookies would still need to be on 3 or 4 year max length contracts because the same pay-what-their-agent-asks mentality basically crippled teams in the NFL who gave $80M to a #1 overall QB that never panned out.

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Don't worry, as soon as these kids are done with the 80's, the 90's will be recycled next.
    As I age and become a father, if I do the lame dad (tucked in shirts denim shirts to "dad" jeans, sandals and socks, fanny packs) I will definitely have to kick my own ass.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As I age and become a father, if I do the lame dad (tucked in shirts denim shirts to "dad" jeans, sandals and socks, fanny packs) I will definitely have to kick my own ass.
    I think you meant European Carry-all.

Seinfeld FTW!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

7. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you meant European Carry-all.

Seinfeld FTW!
    aka 'The Man Purse'. lol.

Nice to see this discussion lightening up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    aka 'The Man Purse'. lol.

Nice to see this discussion lightening up!
    We can't take this stuff too seriously. At the end of the day, we're all a bunch of dumbasses sitting behind a keyboard, looking for a reason to procrastinate, thinking we know better than highly trained professionals who work 80hr weeks.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

10. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL - dad jeans, look out!

Post Thanks / Like

We can't take this stuff too seriously. At the end of the day, we're all a bunch of dumbasses sitting behind a keyboard, looking for a reason to procrastinate, thinking we know better than highly trained professionals who work 80hr weeks.
    True, though I'd trust any member of the RR with a team before I'd hire Colangelo again.
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

13. Like Nilanka, Dino4life liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    True, though I'd trust any member of the RR with a team before I'd hire Colangelo again.
    I actually think Colangelo managed a lot like a fan would!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    LOL - dad jeans, look out!

OMG. This is me! No joke. lol. Shit, this is what happens when you let your wife pick your clothes and actually has you convinced that it looks good, but you wouldn't even care if it didn't.

16. Like S.R., Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    OMG. This is me! No joke. lol. Shit, this is what happens when you let your wife pick your clothes and actually has you convinced that it looks good, but you wouldn't even care if it didn't.
    Untuck that shirt, and we'll let it slide just this once

Thread Information