Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors: best front court in the NBA within 2 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hateslosing wrote: View Post
    This post was inspired by the Amir Johnson article on the front page, written by Tim W.

I think that we are on our way to having one of the most efficient front courts in the NBA: Amir continues to be an advanced stats monster and Valanciunas, while not the TS% beast he was last year, puts up a double double per 36and shoot over 50%.

Defensively, Amir is a great and Val is starting to show some of that rim protector potential with sime very nice blocks and good foot work. He's still a work in progress but more and more you can see him becoming the player we all hope he will be.

The Raptors front court hopes don't end there though: Tyler Hansbrough has been a revelation off the bench. He's 8'th in offensive rebounding and offensive rating and is actually providing some good scoring in the second unit just of his second hand points. He is just what the doctor ordered for our volume shooting team and I'll take him as our back up four everyday of the week.

I think that this needs to be this franchises fous going forward and fucusing on creating an environment for our big amn to succeed is priority 1. Maybe we can start by getting an offensive system that focuses on post play...like maybe the triangle?

Anyway, just more positive thoughts to get us through the year.
    I'm good with JV, Amir and an extended Tyler going forward.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      In 2 years, it is more likely that Favors and Kanter are the best front court in the league.

M Gasol and Z-Bo will have declined.
      David West will have declined.
      Millsap might have moved to another team.
      Duncan should be retired.
      Monroe and Drummond is a possiblity, if they keep Monroe.
      R Lopez is a dud.
      Blake Griffin and Jordan are a possibility but very doubtful
      Lakers will have a new front court.
      Bargs will be benched and Melo might be in LA.
      Varajao will not be a starter.
      Amir might not be a starter either depending on how we draft.
      Oh sorry I interpreted the question wrongly. I thought the question meant best frontcourt in the latest 2 years so I meant 2 years ago up to now. LOL.
      I would pick Monroe and Drummond though over Kanter and Favours if detroit keeps monroe.

It could have been Jonas and Drummond if Colangelo drafted wisely.

Comment

I love Amir but he's not a starting caliber PF in this league.
        Amir may not be an All Star PF but he is still serviceable as a solid starter. Is there room for improvement at the PF position with Amir starting? Sure, but at the same time if Amir is starting at PF upgrading the position shouldn't be a large concern for the team. A team won't gain or lose a lot of anything with Amir as a starter.
        OG is our king

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
          Amir may not be an All Star PF but he is still serviceable as a solid starter. Is there room for improvement at the PF position with Amir starting? Sure, but at the same time if Amir is starting at PF upgrading the position shouldn't be a large concern for the team. A team won't gain or lose a lot of anything with Amir as a starter.
          Bingo!!
          I think our need to upgrade should be a lot more pressing at 1,2,3 (and a backup 5). Or at least 1 of SG or SF.
          Quite frankly extending Kyle at 4 yrs and 9-11 mil, or Gay 4 years at say 13-15 mil scares me.

Comment

I L O V E Amir, and I DO think he's a slightly above average PF, and I think from a TEAM building philosophy he's a great fit in pretty much any starting line-up; but half of the best frontcourt in the league, he is not. And that's OKAY! If we draft a Superstar PF he can slide in the 3rd big off the bench. But if we draft a Superstar at 1-2-3 he's still going to be a useful player and help those guys out. Can you win a championship with Amir as your starting PF, I think you can.

I would really like Amir to stay a Raptor, BUT if we have to lose him in order to get ELITE talent then you do it, but if you can avoid it, you do.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
              Oh sorry I interpreted the question wrongly. I thought the question meant best frontcourt in the latest 2 years so I meant 2 years ago up to now. LOL.
              I would pick Monroe and Drummond though over Kanter and Favours if detroit keeps monroe.

It could have been Jonas and Drummond if Colangelo drafted wisely.
              Like I said, Monroe and Drummond are certainly a possibility, but I think Favors/Kanter have a higher ceiling than Monroe. Of the 4, in 2 years, they might individually rank Drummond, Favors, Kanter, then Monroe. I don't think the difference between Drummond and Favors is that big though, so I'd take the Utah front court over the Detroit front court. I really like how Utah looks moving forward (Trey Burke, Top 5 pick, Hayward, Favors, Kanter - with Alec Burks off the bench)
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Casey must get Val the ball some how or get fired, Ujiri must not be loving the lack of touches for Big V either
                ya dun noe

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  Coaches are easier to get then players are. You can fire a coach any old time and hire a new one any old time. Players get contracts and interact with the cap.
                  It is way harder to get a competent coach than a good player.
                  Way.
                  Way way way.

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                    all good points but sorry to be a wet blanket we need players willing to pass JV the ball now and again (Im getting the sad/scary feeling this iso ball is rubbing off on JV, he doesn't get the ball so on the odd time he dies he take a shot thinking he will never see it again in the quarter)

and we need a coach willing to play him in the 4th. I get it when JV is playing bad and you want to win Casey but when he is doing well and you still sit him that's just infuriating
                    My issue with JV is that he doesn't have confidence in catching the ball from more than 5 feet. If somebody doesn't bite on his shot-fake he'll just pass it out. If he wants to become elite on the offensive end he'll need to catch and shoot the ball from inside the free-throw line like EVERY other big man outside of like Dwight and the defensive-types.
                    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

I disagree - Raptors Front Court is nowhere near this

IMO - Amir would rank amongst the top if we're evaluating Bench Power Forwards. Jonas is a project that will pay dividends in a year or two.

Raptors need a starting PF who can shoot outside the 10 - 15 foot range. Amir has shown some ability there, but he shouldn't be counted in that capacity as a Starter. To me, he is the juice that can propel a successful Bench.

Comment

Working...
                      X