Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: For the anti-tankers....What else should we do? SI's mailbag on tanking

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It sounds like you think that simply being on a losing team is "poisoning" a young player. The flip side of the argument, is that it's a learning experience.

The truly elite players, get by just fine despite a little adversity to start their pro careers.
    Are you sure about that? We will never know because history does not look kindly at those who fail, and why they failed.

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Only development we are seeing is Gay and DD racing to shoot as often as possible.

A 2014 top 8 pick, paired with a young wing (Ross), a young big (JV) and a host of veteran pieces (Fields, Amir, Hans, maybe even Demar) is a significantly better team than what we have today. Disgruntled players can get bought out or shipped out, there are always good mentor vets willing to take a leadership role.
    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Was Lebron able to develop on a team that went 17-65 the year before they got him? Melo and the 17-65 Nuggets? What about Dwight Howard on a Magic team that went 22-60 the year prior? Did the Sonics ruin Kevin Durant by going 19-63 during his rookie year?

The argument doesn't make any sense: high draft picks go to teams with bad records.
    I already explained this. I suggest you read my answer properly. Synopsis? More high draft picks fail to become stars than actually become stars for a myriad of reasons, but one important reason is because they land on teams that do not value winning.

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    I find it strange that you call it 'blindly get bad', while then proceed to make all sorts of unfalsifiable assumptions about potential future developments.

I'd point out that there is nothing 'blind' about what most of the pro-tankers want. Its rather consistent with the exception of a random few. There is a systematic reasoning based on historical and statistical evidence to support why pro-tankers feel its the best route.

Years of mediocrity isn't the danger here. The danger is never being able to escape that mediocrity, except by doing this very thing anyways (ie. blowing it up) at some point in the future anyways.
    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Does that strategy have to exist right now? Do we plan our exit before we are done planning our entry? Can we not have patience with a tanking strategy to?

Whats the exit strategy for not tanking exactly?

There seems to be this double standard laid upon the pro-tankers, where we are expected to know what all things will be and entail. There needs to be some form of assurance that if this team tanks, it won't lose after they are done tanking. If we can't do that then its not worth doing.

Yet those opposed to tanking don't offer any assurances themselves. They offer even less information regarding alternatives and very loosely veiled thoughts of what could conceivably happen. They don't explain what happens if 'just trying to win' doesn't lead to winning - do you just keep on trying to win in perpetuity? Until one day it just magically happens?
    There are no assurances. What there is is history. Only so many teams have actually won titles in the modern era of the NBA. We can go back and look at how those teams were built. We can then ask which methods are the most realistic to follow. The only teams that tanked and won titles were the Celtics and the Spurs. The Celtics accumulated over a couple seasons and traded them for vets. The other was the Spurs who had a number of mysterious injuries and then got lucky in the draft.

That's it. Mavs took forever. Heat were essentially a mediocre team that pundits thought missed out on stars because they were not bad enough and Wade fell to them. Lots of stories about collusion, weird Shaq trades, the no salary cap bulls...The two others and I'd argue Mavs (to a certain extent) fit in the most feasible category that being what the Pistons and the Rockets represent.

These teams had star players but were essentially collaborative efforts led by multiple vets who wanted to win. Teams like that take a lot longer to build (unless you're the Celtics and have multiple drat picks to move). You have to build a culture that attracts the type of players you want. Players have to sacrifice financially. It is a slow process that starts from the top down...

Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    This argument is so backwards. So Casey doesn't bench Gay because he doesn't see him as part of the Raptors' future? No, he doesn't bench Gay because he's a veteran and Casey has a long record of showing preference for them over young players.
    I'm not arguing this point I'm just extrapolating from what I'm seeing. Personally, if some schmuck made me a coach? I wouldn't blink benching Gay. His shot selection makes me cringe.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro-Tank/Anti-Tank it doesn't really matter

The formula for winning a championship has 2 ingredients that trump all the others, at the end of the day, they're what matter.

Smart Decision Making
    Luck

End of story.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll add a third just to be a troll

3. 2014 draft

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh.

This isn't basketball.
    We're not talking about basketball.

I agree.

Tanking talk is so boring.
    Silly debate with no sense of perspective on either side.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shrub wrote: View Post
    Ugh.

This isn't basketball.
    We're not talking about basketball.

I agree.

Tanking talk is so boring.
    Silly debate with no sense of perspective on either side.
    My opinion on it is all due to perspective.

Thread Information