Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Force Zach Lowe to Write An Article On Abolishing Divisions

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Force Zach Lowe to Write An Article On Abolishing Divisions

...well sorta.

Good article. Link: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...a-radical-plan

What do you think?

P.S. If someone turns this thread into something about tanking I will lose my shit. For realsies.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't read the article yet, but we can hardly blame the Raptors here

They're just doing what they're supposed to do....win as many games as possible.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

It would be more interesting if someone could explain why the East has been collectively so bad for 15 years now.

As for the divisions, I am agnostic. It's not like in baseball where the schedule is unbalanced that playing in certain divisions (or against others) can determine whether you make the playoffs or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    It would be more interesting if someone could explain why the East has been collectively so bad for 15 years now.

As for the divisions, I am agnostic. It's not like in baseball where the schedule is unbalanced that playing in certain divisions (or against others) can determine whether you make the playoffs or not.
    Yeah no doubt. It messed man.

As for the division thing. Yeah whatever. I mean only the most hardcore fan realizes that playing division rivals is very slightly more important than another team.

Raptors are like the bizarro Blue Jays.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

5. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree with him at all... the divisions are horse shit...

i'd almost say get rid of the conferences too.. if the schedule wasn't so bloated

the divisions don't even make sense anymore.. how are we not in the same division as Detroit? they're literally RIGHT THERE (imagine me pointing erratically in the general direction of Detroit)... it could be one of the great lower tier rivalries like Crystal Palace/Millwall in the UK

7. Like Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Brooklyn and or New York will pass us and all will be right with the world again. We'll leave your precious 4th seed soon, don't worry American media.

9. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    the divisions don't even make sense anymore.. how are we not in the same division as Detroit? they're literally RIGHT THERE (imagine me pointing erratically in the general direction of Detroit)... it could be one of the great lower tier rivalries like Crystal Palace/Millwall in the UK
    I can't recall exactly but I seem to remember that the Toronto ownership group pushed the issue when everything was realigned in 2004(?) that they wanted to be aligned with the New York teams.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly tried to break it down team-by-team... but I actually couldn't find a reason why we're not as good as the West, historically speaking. We have our share of contenders in any given season, but from 4-down usually lose to both Eastern and Western opponents. It's heartbreaking.
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall exactly but I seem to remember that the Toronto ownership group pushed the issue when everything was realigned in 2004(?) that they wanted to be aligned with the New York teams.
    that's just silly... typical people with money not understanding the motivations of the people spending their money..

The Windsor area has always been a funny divide of Toronto fans and Detroit fans... that's the kind of rivalry that needs to be cultivated

Post Thanks / Like

They should make a rule that if you can walk/swim to another city they should be in your division.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree with him at all... the divisions are horse shit...

i'd almost say get rid of the conferences too.. if the schedule wasn't so bloated

I've had the same thought before regarding all major sports, to just put every team in a single league pool and then the standings should be much more accurate. I think it ultimately comes down to timezones and the resultant tv schedules. I could live with East and West conferences, but I don't see any reason for divisions at all - again, in any major sport.

If there were 2 conferences and no divisions, the schedule could look like this:
    - 2 games (1 home & 1 away) against 15 teams in other conference = 30 games
    - 4 games (2 home & 2 away) against 14 teams in your own conference = 56 games
    - total is 86 games (4 more than current schedule)
    - top 8 teams in each conference advance, with top 4 having home court advantage (1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5)

Post Thanks / Like

If those division rules didn't exist right now we would be 5th or 6th rather than 4th.

If the teams that should have been leading this division ever got their shit together nobody would be crying about it.

A couple game win streak would put us a few games over .500 just like the bottom half of the West.

I dont like division leader rules either but its sad that it suddenly becomes a talking point because the lowly raps are bumped a few spots in the standings 1 game back of the team that should be 4th.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter Jarrett · UWO
    But then the Raptors wouldn't have any banners to hang!
    Quoting one guy from the comment section, haha admit it, hilarious
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

its a stupid article because it was written because he saw Toronto at the top of the Atlantic with a 5-7 record and he can't wrap around how both New York teams are bottom feeders and Toronto, who 'not very good at professional basketball' is at the top. Clearly there is a problem with the divisions, horse shit.

Toronto is 5th in Hollinger Rankings and a positive in points differential and almost .500 on the road.

They are not winning a championship.. but they are better than New York and Brooklyn.

Its really annoying how Toronto is viewed by ESPN, sometimes justified but when it isnt its horseshit

18. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the New York teams - they have all that cash and all that fame and they(and their fan-base) think that a team can be insta-champion. Their choices are bad because they usually don't have to live with them; just spend more money in the next year.
    And this year Boston has had a realistically bad team in the normal cycle of falling/rising in the NBA.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

that's just silly... typical people with money not understanding the motivations of the people spending their money..

The Windsor area has always been a funny divide of Toronto fans and Detroit fans... that's the kind of rivalry that needs to be cultivated
    Agreed.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good article, but at the same time it's like: why should he even have to write it? How can it be that the league has it's head so far up it's a** that this can still exist? (And don't even get me started on the 2-3-2 finals format.)

I do have hope, though, that when Adam Silver takes over the league's going to change for the better in a number of ways.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Zach Lowe is the nuts. It's not about the Raptors, it's about the fact that divisions=meaningless.

Plus for all the people arguing that homecourt advantage by snagging the fourth seed from winning the division gives us a good shot at getting out of the first round there's this section of the article

The situation isn’t even all that dire if two non–divisional winners finish with better records than a divisional champ. In that case, one of those non-winners gets the no. 3 spot, and the other one, with the lesser record, gets the no. 5 spot — and home-court advantage over the divisional winner in the (undeserved) no. 4 seed. This is what happened in 2011-12, for instance, when the Celtics won the Atlantic Division with a 39-27 record, earning the no. 4 seed over the 40-26 Hawks, but had to go on the road for the first two games of that Atlanta-Boston series. Boston was the no. 4 seed in name only, and the post-2006 rules punished them with home-court disadvantage and the no. 4 spot that comes with a near-guarantee of meeting the top seed in the second round. No harm, no foul.
    So EVEN if we win the division we DON'T get home court advantage, if the 5th seed has a better record. I guess that puts a little damper on the "I like our odds against the Hawks with homecourt advantage" argument doesn't it?
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Sat Nov 23rd, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    It's a good article, but at the same time it's like: why should he even have to write it? How can it be that the league has it's head so far up it's a** that this can still exist? (And don't even get me started on the 2-3-2 finals format.)

I do have hope, though, that when Adam Silver takes over the league's going to change for the better in a number of ways.
    Agreed with what you're saying, but the reality is that big organisations take a long time to change not very much at all.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

eff Zach Lowe, he and I are in a twitter fight. :P

Thread Information