Rudy been watching Wiggins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy been watching Wiggins?

After watching last night's game, I found it interesting how Gay's game looked very similar to that of Wiggins'. He was playing unselfishly (at least in the first half), was using his length and athleticism, and made his teammates better. I think that game is some insight as to what can be expected from Wiggins as a pro. They have very similar physical attributes but Wiggins seems to "get" team ball, where Rudy only shows that knowledge in glimpses.

It would be fascinating to see this team perform this way every night. Gay demands so much attention from opponents' D, that if he can avoid the urge to "get his", his teammates will have much easier opportunities to score. It's clear that DeMar is a solid offensive player when he is on the receiving end of a good pass. When he has to create his own, he struggles. The number of 3s made last night is a direct link to collapsing D and good kick outs for easy shots.

All that said, I think we have a better shot at landing Wiggins than we do having Rudy play this way every night. Neither of which are safe bets.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Is it me, or does Rudy look a bit slower and little less explosive on his leaping this year? Or maybe he's never been quick and as explosive as I thought, and I'm just getting used to seeing him more?

Comment

Rudy has never been quick in Memphis yes he did because its a slow team he gave them a guy that could run the floor for some nice dunks.

In Dunk City North he looks slower compared to the freak athlete duo of DeRozan and Ross

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
        Is it me, or does Rudy look a bit slower and little less explosive on his leaping this year? Or maybe he's never been quick and as explosive as I thought, and I'm just getting used to seeing him more?
        Yeah, I find he looks slow too. And his moves are so telegraphed. Easy to defend when he's made up his mind that he's going ISO with 18 seconds left on the clock.

Comment

It does look like he moves a bit slow for how athletic he appears to be.

He's not that quick (again, given his build) - he just "beats" his guy by shooting over the top. He's tall and he's got long arms.

I say "beats" because when you're shooting 35%, I'm not sure you're really beating anybody. I'm sure teams are more than happy to have Gay take 30 shots if they look like the early part of this season.

His shooting numbers'll improve, but he's still way underachieving considering his physical potential.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Look at you guys nitpicking every aspect of rudy's game (albeit a fair thing for "fans" to do). You have to be blind to call Rudy slow. Hes been adjusting to the added muscle he gained over the summer. His quickness is a little down, but he is still incredibly fast. Now you can add the extra strength and its becoming clear hes improved. http://instagram.com/p/f5iCELApw-/
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Breakout year for Rudy will have all you haters feeling salty as f*** dont believe me just watch.. Career highs pretty much all across the board, book it!
              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Rudy is slow now? LOL, fucking Raptors fans, every "good" player we get is boo'd right out of town.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  Rudy is slow now? LOL, fucking Raptors fans, every "good" player we get is boo'd right out of town.
                  emphasis on the quotation marks "good"
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Put it this way, I'd feel comfortable putting money on DeRozan, Lowry, Buycks, Augustin, Fields, Ross, Acy and Amir all being able to beat Rudy from baseline to baseline in a sprint.

Maybe it's Rudy's long stride frequency that gives the illusion of slowness? On the other hand, nobody is falling for his crossovers or jab-steps. He's having trouble shaking defenders. Is that an issue of slowness? Who knows....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Put it this way, I'd feel comfortable putting money on DeRozan, Lowry, Buycks, Augustin, Fields, Ross, Acy and Amir all being able to beat Rudy from baseline to baseline in a sprint.

Maybe it's Rudy's long stride frequency that gives the illusion of slowness? On the other hand, nobody is falling for his crossovers or jab-steps. He's having trouble shaking defenders. Is that an issue of slowness? Who knows....
                      Hand over the money for Amir then.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                        Hand over the money for Amir then.
                        LOL watch what you say!

Comment

Thisssss!!! A lot of people will be eating their words (*hope its not me) and changing their tune when they notice how well were doing once our schedule eases up and we hit our stride..

Comment

There's a difference in being slow and stopping and dribbling so long that the defender knows what you're going to do. He's one of the most athletic guys in the league.

Rudy shoots 38%, brutal. He barely passes, brutal. But come on people, there is qualities to his game.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I think Rudy is actually quite quick for his size. Has a decent first step and because he uses his length he doesn't take as many steps as the average player going to the bucket. I'd say the bigger issue when he goes iso is that he only goes right. Both with his first step and his finish. If he does try to go left it's usually after his first step at which point he's too tall to change directions on the dribble which leads to bad turnovers. If he could only understand that what he did last night will lead to easier shots for him as well, he'll still get "his" in the end.
                              There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Working...
                              X