What Is Going On With Amir Johnson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Going On With Amir Johnson?

Last 10 games: +/- = 13 (vs. Mil), 7 (vs. Mia), -1 (vs. Cha), -11 (vs. Ind), 26 (vs. Utah), -9 (vs. Hou), 15 (vs. Mem), -19 (vs. Chi), -5 (vs. Por), 0 (vs. Phi).

Rebounds: 8, 6, 7, 10, 11, 11, 2, 4, 7, 5.

Fouls: 2, 2, 4, 3, 4, 5, 5, 3, 6, 3.

Field Goal Percentage: 71%, 43%, 67%, 63%, 33%, 40%, 50%, 33%, 60%, 38%.

playerShotchart.jpg

Not only has he been inconsistent, he looks a step slow to start each game, he's missing those "gimme" put-backs he usually sticks, and I haven't been feeling the same vibe and effort I was last season.

He frustrates me more often then not now, making more and more dumb turnovers (usually see one a game, but seeing more stupid crap from him), and he's had a terrible hand with the ball. A guy who has "worked" on the 3-ball this summer, sure takes a long time to make his mind up about shooting it. I'm not against him shooting it, but when he takes half the shot clock to decide, THAT'S a problem.

Am I the only one getting his from him? Whenever Hansbrough steps on the floor, the game picks up from that position. What do you guys think? What are you seeing? Anything the same as me? Seeing something completely different from him?
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

My guess as to what is going on:

He is complacent and mediocrity (read: losing) is getting to him.
    His agent told him he is being shopped.
    Personal issues away from the court or dealing with undisclosed injury.
    Sick of watching and playing fetch with Gay/DD shots.

Comment

First, it's early. Second, outside of a couple games, he's been pretty good. Third, the bigs in Toronto are not part of the offense or the gameplan. They are afterthoughts. So, there are going to be lots of down nights production wise.

People should not freak out about Val or Amir. They are fine. They are just going to be up and down all year cause they are, at best, fringe contributors with the current rotation/coach.

Comment

I too get a sense of complacency from him. I hope its not because he is being shopped. I would say it's likely because he is losing interest in working as hard when he has little to do with the offence other than setting screens and shooting an occasional 3. Both him and JV must be getting frustrated, they seem to be less involved than last year.

Comment

I think anyone would be frustrated watching Rudy and Demar chuck it. Both he and JV you can tell by their body language that are getting annoyed. JV particularly, it's at the point now where anytime he gets the ball in the post he puts his blinders on and has nothing on his mind other than getting a shot up. Both seem to be getting less easy buckets off of offensive rebounds, which comes back to lack of effort.

Comment

1. Frustrated with watching Gay/DeRozan become ISO-centric chuckers.
            2. Frustrated with a PG who can't run a P&R (he misses the chemistry he had with Calderon).
            3. Confusion about whether he's a traditional down-low banger PF or a floor-spreading summer-3 shooting new-wave PF.
            4. Frustrated that years of doing the dirty work aren't appreciated, while inefficient chuckers get DC's glory.
            5. Frustrated with DC's small-ball approach and his inconsistent playing time.
            6. Frustrated at losing minutes to Hansborough.

Comment

It just occurred to me that if we had Calderon with this unit we would be better off.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

He just had a daughter. Probably up all night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

It's tough watching Amir play the way he has been recently, his body language (and JV's) is really disheartening to see.
                  Hopefully later on the in the season the team starts to figure out that EVERYONE should be somewhat involved in the offense.
                  OG is our king

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    1. Frustrated with watching Gay/DeRozan become ISO-centric chuckers.
                    2. Frustrated with a PG who can't run a P&R (he misses the chemistry he had with Calderon).
                    3. Confusion about whether he's a traditional down-low banger PF or a floor-spreading summer-3 shooting new-wave PF.
                    4. Frustrated that years of doing the dirty work aren't appreciated, while inefficient chuckers get DC's glory.
                    5. Frustrated with DC's small-ball approach and his inconsistent playing time.
                    6. Frustrated at losing minutes to Hansborough.
                    This right here. Him and Calderon running the P&R was a thing of beauty. I'm sure he's missing Numero Ocho big time.

Comment

It could be a bunch of possibilities but mostly the unsettled nature of what the team changes might be. Calderon might not have helped if mandated that he had to throw it in to Gay or DD and it sticks. Dec-Jan people...we shall have to endure. Tonight shall be a better test than Wed.

Comment

He seems okay to me. His averages for this season are similar to last years for the most part. Rebounds are down a bit but that could be because there are players around him whom actually rebound. It's only 12 games into the season with a completely different offence from what he's use to. He might just need some time to adjust.

Comment

So... after the last game I think Amir's energy is back. Anyone agree?
                          OG is our king

Comment

One thing is sure though. I'd really like to see him with the team long term, but not as a starter. Backup C, with Hansbrough being the backup PF. To me the starting PF is our position of need right now, if we really want to be a playoff team with that group.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              He just had a daughter. Probably up all night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              This and he hasnt had to play as much as usual, Hansborough is cutting into his minutes and JV is getting a lot more burn and development time as the solo big and then theres Novak. Better question would be where is Fields?

Comment

Working...
                              X