Thread: Landry Fields - top 5 reclamation project on SIs Point Forward blog

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Landry Fields - top 5 reclamation project on SIs Point Forward blog

Interesting fact that speaks to Fields' off-ball capabilities:

"Nearly a quarter of Fields’ used possessions came on cuts alone, according to Synergy Sports. Other hefty slices came in transition or spot-up situations, leaving only a few possessions where Fields actively took part in shot creation."

On a dribble heavy team, a player who cuts hard and often is a great asset for an offence. Fields has fallen out of the rotation lately, but he is still a good "glue guy" - one who works hard on both ends, wont demand the ball on offence and defends well.

Final line says it all:
    "He just needs to be relocated to a team with willing passers in order to fully actualize it."

We have some talent that simply isn't be used properly (this applies to basically everyone on the team). Lowry is best as a drive and dish PG, but he isn't driving anymore. Amir is best as a PNR roll man, but we aren't hitting the roller enough. Etc, etc, etc. Regardless of what direction MU decides to go, we need a play-maker. If we don't get a traditional PG, then we need a winger who is a willing and able passer to help facilitate the offence.

http://nba.si.com/2013/11/22/jimmer-...ris-humphries/

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This team would actually be a lot better if you replaced Lowry with Jose and Gay with Hayward.

Too bad we can't do that now (although maybe in the offseason)?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    This team would actually be a lot better if you replaced Lowry with Jose and Gay with Hayward.

Too bad we can't do that now (although maybe in the offseason)?
    That is a blanket statement with nothing behind it to back it up. Is Hayward going to be your go to scorer? Is he a better defender than Rudy against opposing small forwards. Is Jose now a better defender or do we have better defenders behind him to cover for his mistakes?

I think we are better with the players we have right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    "He just needs to be relocated to a team with willing passers in order to fully actualize it."
    JV just nodded so hard he threw his neck out
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Final line says it all:
    Bang on. I don't believe this Casey sh*t about DeMar and Rudy being willing passers.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really miss Jose - his defense took away almost everything he gave you on offense (another discussion), but I do miss watching him:
    a) Run the pick and roll with Amir (and watching Amir drop the ball in Ed's lap for easy layups/dunks)
    b) Hitting Fields on back-door cuts

Landry is a useful player - he'd be a fantastic asset if he could ever recover his shot.

Raptors Republic All-Star consmap's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone on this team is suffering from the lack of ball movement. Something has to change. :\

Post Thanks / Like

Quote consmap wrote: View Post
    Everyone on this team is suffering from the lack of ball movement. Something has to change. :\
    Surprisingly Kyle Lowry's 3.82 assist to turnover ratio is 3rd best in the NBA and 2nd amongst starters (that play 30+MPG) behind only Chris Paul. So I wonder why our team's offence doesn't move the ball...

Raptors Republic All-Star consmap's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly Kyle Lowry's 3.82 assist to turnover ratio is 3rd best in the NBA and 2nd amongst starters (that play 30+MPG) behind only Chris Paul. So I wonder why our team's offence doesn't move the ball...
    One person alone can't account for all of the ball movement on a team. On top of that, Rudy and DD have the ball for the majority of our offensive possessions and they aren't exactly Steve Nash.
    Now that I think about it, everyone on our roster except our two "stars" are willing ball movers. The problem is, the only people who get the ball on offense are the ones who don't want to move the ball.
    However, in our last game we saw a bit more ball movement between Rudy and DD, but how much longer will that last?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote consmap wrote: View Post
    One person alone can't account for all of the ball movement on a team. On top of that, Rudy and DD have the ball for the majority of our offensive possessions and they aren't exactly Steve Nash.
    Now that I think about it, everyone on our roster except our two "stars" are willing ball movers. The problem is, the only people who get the ball on offense are the ones who don't want to move the ball.
    However, in our last game we saw a bit more ball movement between Rudy and DD, but how much longer will that last?
    Oh I agree that the problem is Gay and DD with a sprinkling of Casey (perhaps the sarcasm was missed in my last line).

You have to admit though, you are surprised that Lowry is one of the best A:TO in the league (Jose is 7th). Even neutered, he's still a better PG than Jose.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I agree that the problem is Gay and DD with a sprinkling of Casey (perhaps the sarcasm was missed in my last line).

You have to admit though, you are surprised that Lowry is one of the best A:TO in the league (Jose is 7th). Even neutered, he's still a better PG than Jose.
    I think the Raptors have looked like a different team since the Houston game. I don't know if it will last but seems like guys are making an effort to share the ball more. I'm getting this warm and tingly feeling that the Rap's are on the verge of turning things around.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In a league that DEMANDS player with high IQ to win, Toronto traded Calderon for Lowry, significant drop in IQ. Has a 2 and a 3 guard that seemingly have little to no desire to have any thought, and sit their smartest player, Fields, regularly.

Its amazing.

Yet, fans still LOVE it, and actually want to build on this core.

YEEEEHAW.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Final line says it all:
    I'm not sure that I buy this, tbh. In what I've seen so far this year, I don't ever recall feeling as though Landry were being missed when making cuts - and I'm VERY aware of how much this team enjoys not passing the ball.

When you consider that

"Nearly a quarter of Fields’ used possessions came on cuts alone,,,"
    to expect even more of his usage to come from making cuts seems unrealistic. I mean, part of keeping cuts effective is not using them consistently, to keep the element of surprise in tact.

I think the key to Landry's game (or rather, his benching) is his broken jump shot. I've been wondering if staff/management decided his shot should be 100% rebuilt before he sees the floor again...
    Last edited by JimiCliff; Mon Nov 25th, 2013 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure that I buy this, tbh. In what I've seen so year, I don't ever recall feeling as though Landry were being missed when making cuts - and I'm VERY aware of how much this team enjoys not passing the ball.

When you consider that

to expect even more of his usage to come from making cuts seems unrealistic. I mean, part of keeping cuts effective is not using them consistently, to keep the element of surprise in tact.

I think the whole key to Landry game right now is his broken jump shot. I've been wondering if he's being benched because the staff/management decided his shot should be 100% rebuilt before he sees the floor...
    I can understand your theory but I think the issue is they simply aren't getting Landry the ball enough on his cuts, so a single pass accounts for a large portion of his possessions (aka - small sample size).

Look at it this way, the Raps Usage % per player. Landry is 12.9%, 2nd last only to Julyan Stone. Even Aaron Gray is getting more touches (17.7%), which is pretty crazy when you consider that Landry is one of the best on the team at protecting the ball (TO%). Instead, we run the offence through Rudy Gay (31%) who shoots too much and turns the ball over too much without ever passing.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

TRoss is the reason Fields isn't getting many/any minutes. Both Rudy and DD get major minutes, so there is little left to go around and Ross has been playing well enough that he has earned the minutes he gets. The only way Fields gets on the floor now is an injury or trade of at least one of the three mentioned above. It's unfortunate we are paying a guy $6.5M to warm the pine, but whats more unfortunate is paying a guy $18M for very high usage and very poor percentages when the bench warmer is a better fit.

Raptors Republic Rookie serbiantiger8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of Lowry's assist come from giving the ball to DeRozan or Gay, and then them jacking up shots, they're not assists coming from any set plays or pick and rolls. Not like we have set plays in general anway.....

Thread Information