Landry Fields - top 5 reclamation project on SIs Point Forward blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    By design do you mean Casey told him to hoist a 3 no matter what or that Gay is just completely going Beautiful Mind on us in the huddles?
    Well, I thought about whether Gay has some sort of mental issues as well, but it didn't seem likely. I just think that by design, they want him taking a lot of shots to try and attract double teams and possibly open up other guys. There is a reason why DeMar has 3 games of 30+ points already, and it ain't cause he's reached another level.

The thing is, Gay can get into the paint whenever he wants, but he has to start passing the ball once the double team comes and not put up the difficult shot.

Like I said, the team looks a bit different since the Houston game, so I'm giving it another 10 games or so before I jump on the "trade Gay and Lowry" band wagon. I'm still in the beleif that we should keep the two of them, and I hate the idea that it took so long to get better talent here and then just give up on it so soon. Right now, there is no better SF that we can get than Gay, and outside of Rondo there is no upgrade that I see available at PG either.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Well, I thought about whether Gay has some sort of mental issues as well, but it didn't seem likely. I just think that by design, they want him taking a lot of shots to try and attract double teams and possibly open up other guys. There is a reason why DeMar has 3 games of 30+ points already, and it ain't cause he's reached another level.

The thing is, Gay can get into the paint whenever he wants, but he has to start passing the ball once the double team comes and not put up the difficult shot.

Like I said, the team looks a bit different since the Houston game, so I'm giving it another 10 games or so before I jump on the "trade Gay and Lowry" band wagon. I'm still in the beleif that we should keep the two of them, and I hate the idea that it took so long to get better talent here and then just give up on it so soon. Right now, there is no better SF that we can get than Gay, and outside of Rondo there is no upgrade that I see available at PG either.
      I question why Defences would even bother "doubling" Gay at this point. Sag off him a step and let him hoist shot after shot, then simply box out. Gay doesn't score on his drives if a single paint defender steps up to help and there is almost zero risk of him passing to the open big in that situation. I really don't see a point in the game where an opposing coach sends a double at Gay except to clog the lane. Therefore, the theory that they want Gay to shoot a lot to draw doubles just doesn't hold for me.

I think it is much more likely that the laser eye vision affected his brain somehow or that he has simply lost touch with reality.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Final line says it all:
        "He just needs to be relocated to a team with willing passers in order to fully actualize it."
        I'm not sure that I buy this, tbh. In what I've seen so far this year, I don't ever recall feeling as though Landry were being missed when making cuts - and I'm VERY aware of how much this team enjoys not passing the ball.

When you consider that

"Nearly a quarter of Fields’ used possessions came on cuts alone,,,"
        to expect even more of his usage to come from making cuts seems unrealistic. I mean, part of keeping cuts effective is not using them consistently, to keep the element of surprise in tact.

I think the key to Landry's game (or rather, his benching) is his broken jump shot. I've been wondering if staff/management decided his shot should be 100% rebuilt before he sees the floor again...
        Last edited by JimiCliff; Mon Nov 25, 2013, 02:30 PM.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure that I buy this, tbh. In what I've seen so year, I don't ever recall feeling as though Landry were being missed when making cuts - and I'm VERY aware of how much this team enjoys not passing the ball.

When you consider that

to expect even more of his usage to come from making cuts seems unrealistic. I mean, part of keeping cuts effective is not using them consistently, to keep the element of surprise in tact.

I think the whole key to Landry game right now is his broken jump shot. I've been wondering if he's being benched because the staff/management decided his shot should be 100% rebuilt before he sees the floor...
          I can understand your theory but I think the issue is they simply aren't getting Landry the ball enough on his cuts, so a single pass accounts for a large portion of his possessions (aka - small sample size).

Look at it this way, the Raps Usage % per player. Landry is 12.9%, 2nd last only to Julyan Stone. Even Aaron Gray is getting more touches (17.7%), which is pretty crazy when you consider that Landry is one of the best on the team at protecting the ball (TO%). Instead, we run the offence through Rudy Gay (31%) who shoots too much and turns the ball over too much without ever passing.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

TRoss is the reason Fields isn't getting many/any minutes. Both Rudy and DD get major minutes, so there is little left to go around and Ross has been playing well enough that he has earned the minutes he gets. The only way Fields gets on the floor now is an injury or trade of at least one of the three mentioned above. It's unfortunate we are paying a guy $6.5M to warm the pine, but whats more unfortunate is paying a guy $18M for very high usage and very poor percentages when the bench warmer is a better fit.

Comment

Oh I agree that the problem is Gay and DD with a sprinkling of Casey (perhaps the sarcasm was missed in my last line).

You have to admit though, you are surprised that Lowry is one of the best A:TO in the league (Jose is 7th). Even neutered, he's still a better PG than Jose.
              Most of Lowry's assist come from giving the ball to DeRozan or Gay, and then them jacking up shots, they're not assists coming from any set plays or pick and rolls. Not like we have set plays in general anway.....

Comment

Working...
              X