Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71

Thread: rudy gay banning stat sheets. wtf?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So many jokes to be made here

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    awwwn, guys why so hard on the kid lighten up, yall hate positivity like no tomorrow hes trying to bring the good vibes into the locker room you know 'unity' 'play as team' 'i dont give a shit bout who scores as long as we win mentality' who feels me ??
    Do you know this to be factual? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming this statement is an assumption. Just because a guy "says" all the right things to a reporter doesn't make any of it truth. It's all just too coincidental that a player with such poor stats is banning the stat sheet, (side note: how in the hell is Casey allowing this?) especially with how poor they've been lately. Gay can talk the talk all he wants, but my opinion of his play is that he's a player who only cares about getting "his".

    Also, the most ridiculous part of this whole thing is that if he is doing this in an attempt to cover up his poor numbers, he is assuming his teammates aren't witnessing his incessant chucking, nor do they have the ability to look up all the stats outside of the locker room. I think Gay has tons of ability that could be used in an efficient way, but I find this whole situation absolutely laughable.

    Haralabos Voulgaris must be LOVING this.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

    @clericalbeats

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I heard that he's petitioned MLSE to kill the wireless on the premises as well.

    And all players on the roster will have to check their cell phones at the gate.

    Actually, none of them are allowed to have cell phones at all anymore.

    And their home internet connections have been cut.

    And their cable.

    And they're all undergoing partial lobotomies so they won't be able to read anymore.

    Or hear.

    Or see.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    good move by rudy! I am glad he did this the team will come together cause of this

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star consmap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lol I'm trying to imagine what was said after the Houston game.

    "Hey, Rudy! Says here that you took 37 shots and only made 11-"
    "Wh-What? Stop looking at that!" *takes stat sheet* "From now on, these stat sheets are no longer necessary."

  6. Like S.R. liked this post
  7. #26
    Raptors Republic Rookie buckets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Brand new here at raptors republic, but have been browsing the site for a little while. I see what Rudy is trying to accomplish with this and its good that someone is showing some form of leadership but I think its being approached completely wrong. Why eliminate a valuable tool that can really only help you? doesn't make much sense, especially coming from one of the most notorious chuckers in the league. Can't hold much weight in the locker room. If Amir does the same thing maybe I look at it differently.
    "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

  8. Like Axel liked this post
  9. #27
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is a very poor attempt to save his own ass. And the attempt is coming too late as well. All I can do is laugh.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  10. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote consmap wrote: View Post
    Lol I'm trying to imagine what was said after the Houston game.

    "Hey, Rudy! Says here that you took 37 shots and only made 11-"
    "Wh-What? Stop looking at that!" *takes stat sheet* "From now on, these stat sheets are no longer necessary."
    This is exactly what happened. You don't think Rudy realizes that his excessive FGA's are being referenced on national broadcasts and in Lebron James interviews? You think he wants that in his own locker room?

    Honestly, how can anyone think this is a "team first" move from a guy who is attempting 19.4 FG and making 2 assists per game? He literally gets 1 assist for every 10 shots he takes. Holy sh*t, I would HATE playing with this guy.

    Anyone else who has played in the post also knows why JV and Amir already look pissed half the time.

  11. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  12. #29
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You guys don't know what Rudy's motives are or how he went about his actions. It's possible they had a nice heart felt discussion and determined it was best for the team. Don't forget these players are human too and they have feelings. I like the move personally but if it was to cover up his own flaws (or if that's what his team thinks) then that is certainly embarrassing.

  13. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    Do you know this to be factual? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming this statement is an assumption. Just because a guy "says" all the right things to a reporter doesn't make any of it truth. It's all just too coincidental that a player with such poor stats is banning the stat sheet, (side note: how in the hell is Casey allowing this?) especially with how poor they've been lately. Gay can talk the talk all he wants, but my opinion of his play is that he's a player who only cares about getting "his".

    Also, the most ridiculous part of this whole thing is that if he is doing this in an attempt to cover up his poor numbers, he is assuming his teammates aren't witnessing his incessant chucking, nor do they have the ability to look up all the stats outside of the locker room. I think Gay has tons of ability that could be used in an efficient way, but I find this whole situation absolutely laughable.

    Haralabos Voulgaris must be LOVING this.
    It doesn't make it a lie either.

    Do we honestly think Rudy was sitting by himself one afternoon thinking to himself "Hmmm... If I ban the stat sheets in the locker rooms after games, I can take as many shots as I want and no one will notice!"? Come on, that's just ridiculous.

    Like you said, players can see the stats, they just aren't looking at them right after the game.

    I hate this site now, all we do is talk about how bad our team is and how Rudy is full of shit and a chucker and how we should lose every game. Wtf is that?
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  14. #31
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,979
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Top Ten Things Rudy Will Ban Next....

    10.) Dribbling above the waist

    9.) Holding the ball longer than 4 seconds without make a move

    8.) Charging into a sea of defenders when someone is clearly open.

    7.) Getting stripped after number 8 happens.

    6.) Long 2s

    5.) Contested Long 2s

    4.) Pull up Long 2s

    3.) Pull up 3s

    2.) Iso 3s

    1.) Did I already say contested long 2s?

  15. Like S.R., JimiCliff, mcHAPPY liked this post
  16. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is definitely some irony to this coming from rudy "ball stopper" Gay. However, I guess I'm in the minority here that thinks what he did is positive. Yes stats are important, but the "box score" stats that these players are most likely getting especially because they are stats for only 1 game, aren't likely to allow any one player to analyze them to make better decisions. That kind of analysis needs to come from multiple games and it's something your video guys and coaches should bring to players.

    Yes it's a case of the blank paper calling the rice white, but the arguments you guys are pulling out "that it is going to make the team worse" or it's part of a Rudy Gay conspiracy to be the biggest chucker of all-time, are pretty hollow.

    Don't get me wrong, I want the guy traded yesterday (for some combo of young talent draft picks and shitty vets on expiring contracts), but shitting on a player for trying address a problem that we've been complaining about since the season started? WEAK SAUCE.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  17. #33
    Raptors Republic Rookie OldSchool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So Im getting the feeling after reading this and several other threads that RR peoples think Rudy is more concerned about getting his and not concerned about winning?

  18. #34
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSchool wrote: View Post
    So Im getting the feeling after reading this and several other threads that RR peoples think Rudy is more concerned about getting his and not concerned about winning?
    Absolutely in my opinion. I know he has the basketball IQ of a rock, but I think he's figured out he's likely not part of this team's long-term plans.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  19. #35
    Raptors Republic Rookie OldSchool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Absolutely in my opinion. I know he has the basketball IQ of a rock, but I think he's figured out he's likely not part of this team's long-term plans.
    interesting....but what makes you say that? has he ever hinted at being with another team? what have I missed?

  20. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSchool wrote: View Post
    interesting....but what makes you say that? has he ever hinted at being with another team? what have I missed?
    Intuition

    But that's just the overall sense I get from watching him play. His style is very self-centred (heavy ISO player, doesn't seem like he trusts his teammates).

    Just for example, if he was team-based, wouldn't he understand that JV needs to be developed in order for this team to compete? Why would he ignore him every time he has low post position and jack up an ISO pull-up instead?


    Oh right I forgot. This team doesn't care about analytics.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  21. #37
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I actually think Rudy Gay's a good guy who cares about his teammates, and this was meant to be a genuine attempt at bringing the team together as a single unit. But man oh man is this ironic.

  22. #38
    Raptors Republic Rookie OldSchool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    I actually think Rudy Gay's a good guy who cares about his teammates, and this was meant to be a genuine attempt at bringing the team together as a single unit. But man oh man is this ironic.
    Totally agree. No disrespect to you isaacthompson and nothing personal but this site has way too many couch-potato coaches who feel as if they know what goes on behind the scenes and in the dressing room, and they know way more than the coaching staff and personnel. The negativity gets tiring after a while...but I guess if theres a place to vent this would be that place

  23. #39
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    There is definitely some irony to this coming from rudy "ball stopper" Gay. However, I guess I'm in the minority here that thinks what he did is positive. Yes stats are important, but the "box score" stats that these players are most likely getting especially because they are stats for only 1 game, aren't likely to allow any one player to analyze them to make better decisions. That kind of analysis needs to come from multiple games and it's something your video guys and coaches should bring to players.

    [B]Yes it's a case of the blank paper calling the rice white, but the arguments you guys are pulling out "that it is going to make the team worse" or it's part of a Rudy Gay conspiracy to be the biggest chucker of all-time, are pretty hollow.

    Don't get me wrong, I want the guy traded yesterday (for some combo of young talent draft picks and shitty vets on expiring contracts), but shitting on a player for trying address a problem that we've been complaining about since the season started? WEAK SAUCE.
    I don't think that's what's being said. I don't think he's going to start putting up 40 shots a game, and I don't think it will make the team any worse (although how such a transparent, limp attempt by a $20 million player to hide his own flaws could ever help team chemistry is beyond me.) I really don't think this will have much of an effect on anything.

    To me, it's interesting because it says a lot about his decision making as a human being. If he could think that this could possibly be a good idea, on any level, then his awful shot selection actually starts to make sense (and, to be fair, his effectiveness at the end of games as well.)

  24. #40
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think Rudy is a bad guy.

    I think his heart is in the right place.

    It is just hilarious that the guy who is one of the worst players in efficiency stats in the league on the offensive side of the ball is taking stats away from the locker room.

    This would have been so much cooler to hear about if, say, Amir or JV or Hansbrough started the initiative.

    This is like the office drunk saying all staff socials are to be dry after the Christmas party where he groped 3 co-worked, cursed out a few more, and vomited all over the coat closet.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  25. Like Axel liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •