Troubling thing i've noticed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubling thing i've noticed

Has anyone else notices Rudy and Lowry harping on JV at times? No doubt he's had his share of mistakes but in the nets game in particular i remember Gay especially tearing into him. On a terrible TO rudy had to boot, tho i guess it could have been Val's fault. Regardless, it was the manner in which it happened.

It's not an encouraging kind of talk either, they're clearly berating him.

JV's looking defeated lately. Like, he has the body language of a death row inmate. I find it VERY troubling. Last thing we need is to have the one true star on the team start hating the team.

Maybe i'm reading too much into it...
    @sweatpantsjer

I think you're right.

"'s looking defeated lately. Like, he has the body language of a death row inmate."

Noticed this too.

I think JV is just too nice. It's good thing that this kid knows how to accept critique, but you gotta say something. Especially when "leader" like Rudy is talking shit.

Comment

This favouritism to JV is getting a little ridiculous. JV is a grown ass man. Will raptor fans stop treating JV like their son. Just treat him like every other player. I've seen Lowry yell at every player on this team but, a thread was never created for that player. Just another player!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I have no problem with teammates calling each other out. I don't think Lowry has been very tactful about it. Had a weird one with Amir tonight too. Just needs to make his less emphatic and in the middle of the game. Find a way better way to address it.

With Gay it's just annoying because dude gets so lazy on D sometimes he has no right to call anyone out.

JV is a grown ass man. He's frustrated. It's showing. He'll get over it at some point. Hopefully soon rather than later. He's struggling. It's not that strange to see it especially early in the season. Hopefully he settles down, and the team finds a way to help get him comfortable. It has been discussed a lot, but I'll briefly just restate that the use of he and all the bigs has been pitiful in whatever "system" the raptors are supposedly running on offence. Most of their quality attempts are ones they get for themselves on the glass.

Comment

Meh. You guys are overreacting as usual. Specially because its about JV.

JV struggled big time tonight. Defensively he was awful, he looked lost out there.

As for the Gay/JV play that you were talking about. Yeah i noticed that. But i've also seen A LOT of times this season where Gay tries to comfort/calm down JV whenever JV gets frustrated about a call or whatever. How come there's no thread about that?
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

There is a right way to play ball and a wrong way to play.

*warning: generalization coming*

I think wrong generally is NBA.
            I think Right is generally college or European.

JV has generally played the right way.
            Playing for Casey with players like DeRozan and Gay has to be frustrating.

Any time Lowry and Gay are your leaders I think a team is in trouble - Lowry based on personality/demeanour and Gay on style of play.

Comment

"Trust me Jonas, these guys will be gone as soon as humanly possible. You're just gonna have to hang in there for awhile."

"It's hard, Masai."

"I know kid. I know."
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                There is a right way to play ball and a wrong way to play.

*warning: generalization coming*

I think wrong generally is NBA.
                I think Right is generally college or European.

JV has generally played the right way.
                Playing for Casey with players like DeRozan and Gay has to be frustrating.

Any time Lowry and Gay are your leaders I think a team is in trouble - Lowry based on personality/demeanour and Gay on style of play.
                By the way the teams who play "right" in the nba are selfless, committed to d, and have lots of motion with and with out the ball.

Miami and San Antonio come immediately to mind

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  Meh. You guys are overreacting as usual. Specially because its about JV.

JV struggled big time tonight. Defensively he was awful, he looked lost out there.

As for the Gay/JV play that you were talking about. Yeah i noticed that. But i've also seen A LOT of times this season where Gay tries to comfort/calm down JV whenever JV gets frustrated about a call or whatever. How come there's no thread about that?
                  My question/curiosity/wonderment is what is causing the struggles?

He looks more lost than he was as a rookie. That type of regression is not normal. It would be different if he came in to the NBA and never looked like he belonged. That is not JV though. He showed flashes very early last year of becoming dominant.

Hopefully it is just sophomore jinx and works itself out sooner than later. He has shown too much drive and talent to think otherwise. DeRozan as an example had a 3rd year regression and put together numerous strings of 7-8 games stretches where you thought he finally got it throughout his career. Hopefully right now is not one of those strings but he is in fact the real deal (at least offensively).

Comment

I'm not liking what I'm seeing from JV. He is being dominated by just about every frontcourt he has faced thus far. Early in the season I thought that our wings and backcourt just weren't doing enough to get him involved, now I'm starting to notice that he just doesn't have the strength to deal with NBA big men. He is being out hustled and outworked, and can't get an ideal post position. The few times he does get position he often gets ignored, but nonetheless, he doesn't seem capable of becoming a dominating big man. I wonder if it's just that he may need to beef up his core and leg strength, but to me this isn't looking good...he seems less capable than he did last year. Blatche should not be able to handle a guy like JV.

Comment

He just seems tired all the time. If he had the energy of every other big man in the league, I don't think we'd be seeing as many issues

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        I'm not liking what I'm seeing from JV. He is being dominated by just about every frontcourt he has faced thus far. Early in the season I thought that our wings and backcourt just weren't doing enough to get him involved, now I'm starting to notice that he just doesn't have the strength to deal with NBA big men. He is being out hustled and outworked, and can't get an ideal post position. The few times he does get position he often gets ignored, but nonetheless, he doesn't seem capable of becoming a dominating big man. I wonder if it's just that he may need to beef up his core and leg strength, but to me this isn't looking good...he seems less capable than he did last year. Blatche should not be able to handle a guy like JV.
                        I agree with this.

But even last year nobody outworked or outhustled him.

His fire is out.

Where did his confidence go?

It is all about confidence and right now he is not a confident player.

Comment

i see them talk to JV all the time but i dont think they bringing him down. looks like they just explaining things to him.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                            If you think Valanciunas is being ridden, you should have been around for Vlade Divac's first couple of years. Magic Johnson rode him like a horse, constantly barking orders at him. It was a nonstop stream of criticism and instruction. Never seen anything like it, before or since. What's happening in this situation is nothing by comparison.
                            It's about WHO is riding him. If it were Magic, it would be an entirely different deal. This is Rudy Gay and Kyle Lowry. Kyle is one thing -- he's the PG, he's supposed to be the coach on the floor, and if JV is in the wrong position, etc. it's Lowry's job to set him straight.

Gay, on the other hand. Come on. When you're playing like he is, you keep your damn mouth shut. Period. He's only a 'veteran leader' on this team because there's no one else and the idea of 'pecking order' on this team is right messed up at the moment. You think he would have tried that crap with Marc Gasol or Zach Randolph? And in the one case last night that I think people are talking about, Gay was wrong, JV was right. Jonas was still trying to establish post position when Rudy lobbed a crap pass over the top that ended up going out of bounds for (one of his 7) turnovers. There was no way that pass should have been attempted. And Gay harps on JV about it?

One thing you can say about Valanciunas: he seems to know how to play the right way. So it's kind of understandable, when you KNOW you're doing the right thing out there, to hear trash from teammates who can't say the same.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                              Gay, on the other hand. Come on. When you're playing like he is, you keep your damn mouth shut. Period. He's only a 'veteran leader' on this team because there's no one else and the idea of 'pecking order' on this team is right messed up at the moment. You think he would have tried that crap with Marc Gasol or Zach Randolph? And in the one case last night that I think people are talking about, Gay was wrong, JV was right. Jonas was still trying to establish post position when Rudy lobbed a crap pass over the top that ended up going out of bounds for (one of his 7) turnovers. There was no way that pass should have been attempted. And Gay harps on JV about it?
                              I honestly worry that Gay is becoming toxic.

Everybody was harping on Casey for last night's play and of course Casey says afterwards that it was the play he called, but does anybody else see Rudy simply saying "oh you want me to pass more, you keep telling me I don't pass enough, OKAY HERE I'M PASSING TO AMIR FOR THE GAME-WINNER" and forcing Casey to say "yeah I called that" because if he says "no, Rudy decided to fuck us over" then Rudy's trade value plummets even further and the Raps are saddled with him?

Because I think that's entirely possible. There's a distinct difference between being a coach who isn't good at offensive play design like Casey is and designing a play that is patently and obviously stupid, and I don't think Casey's stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X