No announcement yet.

Who to Trade, or not to Trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston isn't trading Rondo if they don't get picks back. Period. They can "rest" him for potentially winnable games if need be, and will, rather than trade him just for salary.

Comment

Bleacher Report shitty source I know has us listed picking 9th-10th spot. picking up a guy named Rodney Hood....he may be Hood but is he Good?

Comment

Can't say without knowing what's coming back, but I'm hoping DeMar, Ross, and JV are here for the long haul.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          How does acquiring a late 1st rounder over letting them walk not benefit us in the long-term? Even take a future pick if it's there (2016?)
          If Miami, for example, gives us their first rounder for Lowry, I'd rather keep Lowry until the end of the year and see if we can resign him. The same applies to Gay. These guys are both very talented, much more so than most of the players you are going to get in most drafts, much less late in the draft and keeping their bird rights for the negotiation is important. Now, if say Utah offered their number 1 that would be completely different, but getting rid of our more talented players for late picks is not what I would call a winning strategy. Gay and Lowry are good players, this isn't the Bargs scenario where it will be addition by subtraction.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
            If Miami, for example, gives us their first rounder for Lowry, I'd rather keep Lowry until the end of the year and see if we can resign him. The same applies to Gay. These guys are both very talented, much more so than most of the players you are going to get in most drafts, much less late in the draft and keeping their bird rights for the negotiation is important. Now, if say Utah offered their number 1 that would be completely different, but getting rid of our more talented players for late picks is not what I would call a winning strategy. Gay and Lowry are good players, this isn't the Bargs scenario where it will be addition by subtraction.
            Ok, based on your original post saying "give him a low ball offer and if walks he walks" I assumed that you are more likely to not re-sign either player. Personally I don't think the Raps should resign either and would be better to get a future pick (to use for future trades or as a rookie scale prospect) than let them walk for nothing. If you are going to resign Lowry, that convo needs to happen well before the trade deadline. If you are close on terms, then maybe you wait till the offseason and try to make a deal but I doubt that Lowry will be worth what I expect him to demand.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              Ok, based on your original post saying "give him a low ball offer and if walks he walks" I assumed that you are more likely to not re-sign either player. Personally I don't think the Raps should resign either and would be better to get a future pick (to use for future trades or as a rookie scale prospect) than let them walk for nothing. If you are going to resign Lowry, that convo needs to happen well before the trade deadline. If you are close on terms, then maybe you wait till the offseason and try to make a deal but I doubt that Lowry will be worth what I expect him to demand.
              It all depends on need. The question with Lowry is: are we going to get someone better? I'm hesitant to say trade him for a pick and worry about the pg spot after because he's actually pretty good and you may not be able to find anyone better. Gay is different of course, if you can get any value for him you proably take the deal since he and Demar do basically the same thing, but Lowry right now is far and away our best option at the point as is probably a top 15 pg in the league.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

If the Raps want to unload Lowry, i still think the Warriors are the best trading partner for him. Or any CONTENDING teams that need a BACKUP PG.

And if i'm Masai i'm going to target Barnes. Something like Lowry + Ross for Barnes.

Ross will replace Barnes as the Warriors 6th man off the bench. They also get a backup for Steph in Lowry.

Yeah i know, Masai needs to work on his magic LOL
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  If the Raps want to unload Lowry, i still think the Warriors are the best trading partner for him. Or any CONTENDING teams that need a BACKUP PG.

And if i'm Masai i'm going to target Barnes. Something like Lowry + Ross for Barnes.

Ross will replace Barnes as the Warriors 6th man off the bench. They also get a backup for Steph in Lowry.

Yeah i know, Masai needs to work on his magic LOL
                  Dooooo ittttttt!!!!!

-Churchill

Comment

who should go.....
                    Gay
                    fields
                    amir/tyler
                    not worth the money
                    STAY>>>
                    lowry
                    DD
                    JV
                    Ross
                    great contracts no brianer

Comment

Reasons i want the others gone have already been expressed here so I'll skip.

Guys i want to keep JV & Demar.

Guy i wish we'd keep but I'd get over it: Amir & Ross. And fields is growing on me but he's not in that category yet, probably when his contract expires.

I understand DD's value is high, but is worth it to get rid of one of the 2 good things we have going for us because the other 13(14 with the coach) are disappointing ? He's locked up long term, wants to be here, is young and still improving.
                      Whichever side of the debate I will not name you're on, its going to take a couple years at least, and in those couple years we'll be looking to get a guy like Demar to play along our star however we got him.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, 2 down 14 more to go.

Comment

Aslong as Gay is gone (lowry would be nice but i do like him in some ways.) and JV ross and i pray DD are here I'm happy the rest can come or go i do not care.

Comment

I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again.

You do not let Kyle Lowry face free agency in a Raptors uniform. You either sign him to an extension mid-season at good value or you trade him for whatever you can get/package him with something else. My trade rules are a bit rusty, but is it possible to extend him today and trade him at the deadline? Is it possible to do an "extend and trade"? These are things I would be looking into if I was Masai.

The only person on he Raps who really needs to be moved is Gay. He's just eats too much of the salary cap, and his player option just leaves too much to chance for the front office. Even if he tells you his plan, and you believe him, there's no reason why he won't, or his agent won't change his mind once the season is over.

The tank window is still open, but just barley, if Masai thinks he's got a chance to tank it, then trading Lowry is step 1, and step 2 is starting Augustin.

If Masai thinks the tank window is closed, then trying to extend Lowry at good value is key, as it is all about acquiring value contracts. Lowry on a good contract is something that can be cashed in on later. Just because he'd get an extension doesn't mean he'd be a Raptor forever. Masai traded Nene 1/2 season after extending him.

In the end it's not about what's going out, but what's coming back everyone is get-able for the right price. They key is getting back a better cost vs. talent ratio than what you are giving up.
                          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                            I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again.

You do not let Kyle Lowry face free agency in a Raptors uniform. You either sign him to an extension mid-season at good value or you trade him for whatever you can get/package him with something else. My trade rules are a bit rusty, but is it possible to extend him today and trade him at the deadline? Is it possible to do an "extend and trade"? These are things I would be looking into if I was Masai.

The only person on he Raps who really needs to be moved is Gay. He's just eats too much of the salary cap, and his player option just leaves too much to chance for the front office. Even if he tells you his plan, and you believe him, there's no reason why he won't, or his agent won't change his mind once the season is over.

The tank window is still open, but just barley, if Masai thinks he's got a chance to tank it, then trading Lowry is step 1, and step 2 is starting Augustin.

If Masai thinks the tank window is closed, then trying to extend Lowry at good value is key, as it is all about acquiring value contracts. Lowry on a good contract is something that can be cashed in on later. Just because he'd get an extension doesn't mean he'd be a Raptor forever. Masai traded Nene 1/2 season after extending him.

In the end it's not about what's going out, but what's coming back everyone is get-able for the right price. They key is getting back a better cost vs. talent ratio than what you are giving up.
                            Unfortunately the new CBA makes it so that players are better off becoming UFA agents rather than signing an extension.

Any extension can only be for x + y = 4 years whereby x equals years on contract including current season and y equals number of years for extension.

Looking at Lowry he can only sign a 3 year extension beyond this season but if he becomes an UFA he can sign a 4 year deal.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Unfortunately the new CBA makes it so that players are better off becoming UFA agents rather than signing an extension.

Any extension can only be for x + y = 4 years whereby x equals years on contract including current season and y equals number of years for extension.

Looking at Lowry he can only sign a 3 year extension beyond this season but if he becomes an UFA he can sign a 4 year deal.
                              What difference would that make having Lowry for 3 or 4 years? I'd rather take him for a year less than risk him leaving for nothing.

Comment

Akkerman wrote: View Post
                                What difference would that make having Lowry for 3 or 4 years? I'd rather take him for a year less than risk him leaving for nothing.
                                I think he's insinuating that Lowry would be less likely to accept an extension at this point in time, since he'd likely be leaving a guaranteed $7-$9 million dollars of money by not getting his extra year.

Comment

Working...
                                X