X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 teamer to move Rudy

Bored and figured I'd post a crazy trade scenario:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lkjxhlz

I've listed it as a 4 team trade but could be done in two steps: the first with Houston and then a 3 teamer with Charlotte and Detroit. You probably already know where this is going but the breakdown is as follows:

TOR trades: Amir Johnson (Hou), Steve Novak (Hou), and Rudy Gay (Det)
    TOR acquires: Ben Gordon (Cha), Rodney Stuckey (Det), and Greg Monroe (Det)

HOU trades: Omer Asik (Cha)
    HOU acquires: Amir Johnson and Steve Novak (Tor)

CHA trades: Ben Gordon (Tor) and Biyombo (Det)
    CHA acquires: Omer Asik (Hou) and CharlieV (Det)

DET trades: Ben Gordon (Tor), CharlieV (Cha), and Greg Monroe (Tor)
    DET acquires: Rudy Gay (Tor) and Biyombo (Cha)

For some reason, I keep thinking about piggy backing off of Asik's move out of Houston.

Why TOR: I think this is obvious, we lose Rudy who at the moment isn't helping this team, and we bring in a pretty good PF in Monroe which would give us the inside scoring we desperately need at the moment, and we pick up players and expiring contracts from CHA and DET to facilitate it.

Why Not TOR: Monroe is going to RFA this offseason and may demand (or will be offered) a considerable salary. Do you take the chance of acquiring him now only to see him become too expensive to justify keeping in the offseason? Would give us a little over half a season to determine if Monroe is the PF we want for the future, not an attractive timeline IMO, and if we don't keep him, we lost Rudy for nothing. We also get two more SG's that are eerily like Demar but not nearly as good. They are expiring, maybe they could be moved for future 2nd rounders or something?

Why HOU: well, Asik is going there is no doubt, so, is a return of Johnson and Novak appealing enough for them to pull the trigger? I expect HOU will want a big guy back in any trade involving Asik, as they are kind of thin without him. Johnson would be pretty good next to Howard, or could easily come off the bench to back up DH. Might not be the ideal floor spacer, but he can knock down the outside shot and even a few 3's. Novak would be great in a system with Dwight Howard. The trade also works if Fields is included instead of Amir, but I think what I listed would be more appealing to HOU.

Why Not HOU: they may be able to get a better package elsewhere (I'm not sure where but I certainly question the appeal of Amir and Novak)

Why CHA: They rid themselves of Ben Gordon's large expiring contract to bring in a useful piece in Asik. Biyombo is out of favour in CHA so they don't mind losing him or picking up a smaller expiring contract in CharlieV's to facilitate the trade. Basically, they move pieces they don't want to bring in a piece they do want.

Why not CHA: They just picked up Jefferson in the offseason to play C, so why get Asik? Well, Jefferson is undersized so maybe they can move him to the 4. Would an Asik/Jefferson frontline be effective? I'm not sure but maybe CHA thinks so.

Why DET: they rid themselves of CV's and Stuckey's expiring contracts. They get to move Smith (whom they have committed to) back to the PF spot where he belongs. They acquire a true SF in Rudy Gay and a potentially useful prospect big in Biyombo.

Why not DET: this is obvious, they lose Greg Monroe, who right now, is probably better than either JSmith or Rudy Gay. They acquire Rudy's massive contract. Does this really help the Pistons? I think it would help them somewhat, but not enough to make them EC contenders. Nonetheless, if they were willing to acquire Smith and Jennings in the offseason, then maybe they do this trade as well. Somethings gotta give in DET.

I'm not sure where or if picks should be included amongst this to make it work (i.e. more realistic), but feel free to fill in the blanks with picks if that makes it more possible.

I think this makes the Pistons worse. Both Stuckey and Monroe are playing well, and Gay doesn't seem a good fit. They could use a 3-D player.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      Bored and figured I'd post a crazy trade scenario:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lkjxhlz

I've listed it as a 4 team trade but could be done in two steps: the first with Houston and then a 3 teamer with Charlotte and Detroit. You probably already know where this is going but the breakdown is as follows:

TOR trades: Amir Johnson (Hou), Steve Novak (Hou), and Rudy Gay (Det)
      TOR acquires: Ben Gordon (Cha), Rodney Stuckey (Det), and Greg Monroe (Det)

HOU trades: Omer Asik (Cha)
      HOU acquires: Amir Johnson and Steve Novak (Tor)

CHA trades: Ben Gordon (Tor) and Biyombo (Det)
      CHA acquires: Omer Asik (Hou) and CharlieV (Det)

DET trades: Ben Gordon (Tor), CharlieV (Cha), and Greg Monroe (Tor)
      DET acquires: Rudy Gay (Tor) and Biyombo (Cha)

For some reason, I keep thinking about piggy backing off of Asik's move out of Houston.

Why TOR: I think this is obvious, we lose Rudy who at the moment isn't helping this team, and we bring in a pretty good PF in Monroe which would give us the inside scoring we desperately need at the moment, and we pick up players and expiring contracts from CHA and DET to facilitate it.

Why Not TOR: Monroe is going to RFA this offseason and may demand (or will be offered) a considerable salary. Do you take the chance of acquiring him now only to see him become too expensive to justify keeping in the offseason? Would give us a little over half a season to determine if Monroe is the PF we want for the future, not an attractive timeline IMO, and if we don't keep him, we lost Rudy for nothing. We also get two more SG's that are eerily like Demar but not nearly as good. They are expiring, maybe they could be moved for future 2nd rounders or something?

Why HOU: well, Asik is going there is no doubt, so, is a return of Johnson and Novak appealing enough for them to pull the trigger? I expect HOU will want a big guy back in any trade involving Asik, as they are kind of thin without him. Johnson would be pretty good next to Howard, or could easily come off the bench to back up DH. Might not be the ideal floor spacer, but he can knock down the outside shot and even a few 3's. Novak would be great in a system with Dwight Howard. The trade also works if Fields is included instead of Amir, but I think what I listed would be more appealing to HOU.

Why Not HOU: they may be able to get a better package elsewhere (I'm not sure where but I certainly question the appeal of Amir and Novak)

Why CHA: They rid themselves of Ben Gordon's large expiring contract to bring in a useful piece in Asik. Biyombo is out of favour in CHA so they don't mind losing him or picking up a smaller expiring contract in CharlieV's to facilitate the trade. Basically, they move pieces they don't want to bring in a piece they do want.

Why not CHA: They just picked up Jefferson in the offseason to play C, so why get Asik? Well, Jefferson is undersized so maybe they can move him to the 4. Would an Asik/Jefferson frontline be effective? I'm not sure but maybe CHA thinks so.

Why DET: they rid themselves of CV's and Stuckey's expiring contracts. They get to move Smith (whom they have committed to) back to the PF spot where he belongs. They acquire a true SF in Rudy Gay and a potentially useful prospect big in Biyombo.

Why not DET: this is obvious, they lose Greg Monroe, who right now, is probably better than either JSmith or Rudy Gay. They acquire Rudy's massive contract. Does this really help the Pistons? I think it would help them somewhat, but not enough to make them EC contenders. Nonetheless, if they were willing to acquire Smith and Jennings in the offseason, then maybe they do this trade as well. Somethings gotta give in DET.

I'm not sure where or if picks should be included amongst this to make it work (i.e. more realistic), but feel free to fill in the blanks with picks if that makes it more possible.
      I read your article twice and IMO I cannot see a reason "why not" on part of any of 4 teams. The biggest part would be that 4 team trades are nearly impossible. Sure you can break it down to our trade with Hou., then a 3 team trade. Still tough.

WRT to Monroe, Det (IMHO) would not extend him at max or near max, so they have no choice but to trade him (sure they can take a chance on SnT, but????). He is clearly not worth the max to them (not after J Smith, plus they are very high on AD). Would it entice them more to add T Ross to Det for a protected 1st or Cha 1st in 2014?
      I'd still be OK with that (for some reason I am not as high on T Ross future as some of you).

WRT to Asik in Cha and having to move Jefferson to 4. Who said Jefferson is a poor outside shooter? You forgot the game last year against Jazz?

As much as Hou wants "a strech 4" (NO appears to be unwilling to trade Anderson for Asik) they prob need a backup 5 as much (getting both Amir & Novak might actually work better (esp considering T Jones is playing a solid 4 since being promoted).

Comment

I don't like Al Jefferson at PF with Asik at center. It makes little sense on both ends. However, I think Asik is a better asset than Biyombo so I'd still take it for them.

I just don't like it for the Pistons. They get worse as a team, IMO. And they lose on assets too.

Comment

Working...
        X